What Was the First Vehicle You Bought in Thailand

kartman

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

96 isuzu TFR wagon from a BKK car sales yard where it was for sale on behalf and stashed way out the back. Turbo, twin AC blowers, custom seating, fully sound insulated. 175,000 Bht. Had it 9 years in totaland added 80,000 kms to the original 78,000. Repair costs in total were a water pump, a new set of shock absorbers and two batteries . Sold it eventually 3 years ago for 100000Bht and still see it daily going past.Hope I do as well with my Vigo.

A low mileage used Hilux 4x4 - 4 door A/T.....Knew the owners & and complete factory service history....Solid & clean.....Even found a note in the ash tray from the owner's little girl saying goodbye to her "friend" & wishing me & the truck happiness together....

Wish I still had it.....

1984 Ford Telstar TX5 Ghia in a nice light metallic blue.

Although bought at Ford Chonburi, all services had to be done at a Bangkok dealer which was a bit of a chore. One day when about 2 years old, it suddenly wouldn't keep running unless you kept dipping the throttle. Start OK but if you lifted your foot off the gas completely, it died. Took it to the Chonburi dealer and there was a 'chip' inside the distributor cap that was buggered, would cost about 5000 baht (out of warranty) and take about a week to get it from overseas. Called my mate who had a Mazda 626 to come over and we swapped the chip and proved they were right. Next morning I rented a green Mazda 626 for one day from a local mom and pop car rent place, took it home, swapped the chip and next morning called them up and said the bugger wouldn't run so could they come and collect it? They did, no questions asked, no demands for money because I broke it, nada.

And that's (one of the many reasons) why I am going to hell.

1984 Ford Telstar TX5 Ghia in a nice light metallic blue.

Although bought at Ford Chonburi, all services had to be done at a Bangkok dealer which was a bit of a chore. One day when about 2 years old, it suddenly wouldn't keep running unless you kept dipping the throttle. Start OK but if you lifted your foot off the gas completely, it died. Took it to the Chonburi dealer and there was a 'chip' inside the distributor cap that was buggered, would cost about 5000 baht (out of warranty) and take about a week to get it from overseas. Called my mate who had a Mazda 626 to come over and we swapped the chip and proved they were right. Next morning I rented a green Mazda 626 for one day from a local mom and pop car rent place, took it home, swapped the chip and next morning called them up and said the bugger wouldn't run so could they come and collect it? They did, no questions asked, no demands for money because I broke it, nada.

And that's (one of the many reasons) why I am going to hell.

I will not pass judgement...whether you are going to hell is between you and your chosen deity.

I will say your solution is creative.

My first car was a second-hand Nissan station wagon, actually a pick up almost completely modified to station wagon, not only the usual hardtop. The rear part had sofa-like seats, air-con, speakers and was separated from the front cab by a window that could be opened.

The only missing things were rear doors.

I've traveled over 250,000 km with this one until it really started falling apart. It was quite nice for long night trips (security aspects aside of course, no seat belts or nothing... hey, there were the early 90s...)

I first bought a Kawazaki Boss (Dec 2003) to get acquainted with the left hand driving. After six months I bought an Isuzu Pick up, which was later replaced by a Toyota Vigo, the motorbike became a Honda Phantom 200 replaced by the new CBR250, a real nightmare, replaced on its turn by a Kawasaki Ninja 650, great stuff with the Vigo replaced by a Ford Ranger Wildtrack (2012), still on duty...

My first vehicle in Thailand was a Suzuki Caribbean. It was a lot of fun to drive but beat you to death on trips. It rode hard. It developed an electrical glitch which the dealer "fixed" three times. It broke down coming home from work one day and I coasted into a small roadside repair shop. There was a small bar next door so waiting wasn't bad. A kid about 15 years old had a flashlight he had converted to a continuity tester. About an hour later he came and got me. He handed me a wire connector that had corroded. He asked for a hundred baht. I gave him 300 baht and he was very happy. The dealer couldn't fix it but that kid had no problem. Never had a problem after that.

2009 Ford Ranger. Still driving it. I have had a lot of problems with it.

Tell all.....thumbsup.gif

Not much to tell really. I am comparing it against my 2006 Toyota tundra in America. Excellent vehicle by the way.

1. Wheel bearings are the old type. Have to be changed every 50,000 KM. Timing belt has to be changed every 100,000 KM. Seals between the drive shaft and rear end replaced. Seal between the drive shaft and the transmission replaced.

2. Rough idle. Spent 4 years going to Ford dealers. They said it was the fuel rail. Bought one (10,000 bhat) and it did not fix the problem. I finally bought a manual and found the return fuel line was leaking. 800 baht fix after 4 years of head ache.

3. Dies when driving and hard to start when hot. When cool no problems. Again Ford says it is the Fuel rail. Bought a new fuel rail and it did not fix the problem. This time i had them reinstall the old one and give my money back.

4. My main gripe is with Ford service. The extent of their service is to hook up a computer, and then let the computer diagnose the problems. IMO, a total lack of understanding of the mechanical system.

I have had it with Ford service. Not to say Ford is worse than any other dealer. I really do not know. But, at this point I will try another brand on my next buy. Ford is history for me.

And i keep the service up to date as prescribed by Ford.

Edited by garyk