Samurai kitchen review

daoyai

There is a new Japanese themed resto on Chang Moi rd. called Samurai Kitchen. Decorated with interesting enameled metal signs Jap-kitch, paper lanterns, furnished with old plastic chairs and improvised tables supported by plastic crates, the vibe is rustic and funky.

The menu is interesting in that everything is 59baht. and illustrated with photos of the dishes.

I have tried the place twice, the first time I was in a snack mode so ordered gyoza (similar to Korean mandoo or Chinese pot stickers) and shrimp tempura rice balls. (a triangle of rice formed around a piece of tempura wrapped in nori) I really like gyoza I have to say these were the worst i have ever experienced, the filling was just a tasteless white paste, the tempura rice had the tiniest shrimp I have seen in a rice ball, maybe an inch long so basicly rice and dry nori.

They also brought me a plate of complimentary kim chee.... i love Kim chee but once again this was the worst I have ever had. The predominate taste was sugar.

I like Japanese food so since i had only tried a couple items i decided to give it another try. Since it was so hot last night i though cold soba (buckwheat or white noodles) would be good. Sadly, no soba or udon, but they did have curry ramen. I know japan is know for great ramen so ok curry ramen. The noodles were mushy, the curry ok but not the rich complex taste you expect from nippon curry. i also ordered a mushroom and quail egg tempura set. The tempura was not the golden light batter type but a hard crunchy type, the quail eggs were good.

Conclusion, I have sampled a very limited selection from their rather limited menu not really inspired to try more HOWEVER I think their large Chang and Leo are also 59baht (could be wrong) so it might be a fun place to go for a few cheap beers with friends and try other offerings, I have passed by and seen groups of Thai people doing that.

When it comes to Japanese restaurants, the one next to the Shell Station on Huay Kaew Rd has some of the more 'authentic' tastes in town. Certainly better than any of the shopping mall Japanese restaurants!

It has a rather large menu selection, and everything is served Japanese style, and at prices that aren't too bad.

Having lived and worked in Japan for more than 15 years before coming to Thailand, I was surprised to find a place that 'felt' like a Japanese restaurant here in Chiang Mai. While the service isn't up to Japanese standards, it's not really too bad, and definitely better than what we find in most Thai restaurants . The food is fresh and presented in a Japanese manner, even on the same plates and bowls you'll fined in any family-style restaurant in Japan. The foods all taste the way you'd expect them to as well; good... but not something to write home about.

I do have one complaint, though, and that is the selection of sushi in their 'sushi set' leaves a lot to be desired, so when I order that, I just add a few 'a la cart' plates along side. Problem solved, and a pleasant Japanese meal in comfortable surroundings close to home.

As the OP said it was a "Japanese themed resto" so expecting the same cuisine as a Japanese restaurant for 59 bht, esp. as they are usually on the more expensive side, is rather an optimistic expectation.

Is it run or owned by Japanese?

Folkguitar, what's the name of the place your recommending?

As the OP said it was a "Japanese themed resto" so expecting the same cuisine as a Japanese restaurant for 59 bht, esp. as they are usually on the more expensive side, is rather an optimistic expectation.

Is it run or owned by Japanese?

Folkguitar, what's the name of the place your recommending?

Unless I'm mistaken, it's called "Ai Sushi." It had been across the road when it first opened, right on the corner, and did well there for two years. Then it moved into its present location just two doors west of the Shell Station.

There's a second branch of Ai Sushi on the Canal Road about 1.5km from Suthep Road (heading toward Mae Hia, and on the same side) that might be more convenient for some people. Also having lived in Japan for nearly a decade, I agree it's the best I've tried in CM. They source their salmon from Makro, and it's surprisingly good.

Maybe it is just me but any permanent establishment with every thing 59 baht would make me very suspicious.

It is just you.

Apparently not the OP is talking about Samurai Kitchen. Every one else including you is talking about another one that is more costly.

Well, there is always Loco Elvis for a legendary hamburger. Zero customers today at 11:30 am, so I don't think you need to worry about crowds, but they might soon be "moving." And speaking of Chiang Moi, that place next to the Crazy German has closed down.

I meant "Fat Elvis," solly, but actually Loco didn't have any customers either, however Bamboo Bar and EuroDiner were doing some business....warm beer must be a big seller on a 40 degree day with the AQI over 200.

There's a second branch of Ai Sushi on the Canal Road about 1.5km from Suthep Road (heading toward Mae Hia, and on the same side) that might be more convenient for some people. Also having lived in Japan for nearly a decade, I agree it's the best I've tried in CM. They source their salmon from Makro, and it's surprisingly good.

I'm sitting here laughing because it's Ai Sushi's salmon that is my one dislike of the place... Not it's taste, mind you. That part is fine. But it's their predominant fish in their assortments. There may be three pieces of salmon sushi and one each of ebi, tamago, and maguro! I always have to order an extra order of maguro and ebi! Same problem when you order their Sashimi te.... Mostly salmon!

It's true, they're heavy on the salmon- it's always what they give away as a promotion or special (there were free salmon appetizers when they opened their new place last year). They buy a huge amount of it everyday at Makro (I saw the chef at the Mae Hia branch one day picking up his order), and I suppose it's their main profit dish. I order everything a la carte, so it would be at least half salmon either way as it's my preferred sashimi.

I find their maguro a bit lacking in comparison, though I wouldn't say it's bad.

My main dislike of the place is the Thai chili sauce they use in some of their rolls, so I tend to avoid them, but their other dishes are the best I've had locally. My wife and I can leave stuffed for less than 1K (we don't drink alcohol, so that helps) and that's ordering their more 'expensive' (which is actually on the cheap side in comparison to other places) stuff.

Not a sushi pro by any means but I didn't think it was a traditional Japanese fish

I'll try it but it will be hard to beat my CM fav sushi place where they go to the sea and get their fish every week

I agree... That little shop on the north side of the moat, owned and operated by the guy who goes deep sea fishing every week to bring back his own fish for sushi can't be beat! But his shop has a limited menu. Fresh and delicious, but limited. There is a LOT more to Japanese cuisine than just sushi and sashimi. And that's where 'Ai Sushi' shines. Its menu is extensive, and covers the spectrum of Japanese cooking. The only thing I do NOT remember seeing on it is Chanko Nabe, but I doubt Thailand's weather would make anyone really look for a Nabe dish except for a week or two in early February.

Not a sushi pro by any means but I didn't think it was a traditional Japanese fish

I'll try it but it will be hard to beat my CM fav sushi place where they go to the sea and get their fish every week

I agree... That little shop on the north side of the moat, owned and operated by the guy who goes deep sea fishing every week to bring back his own fish for sushi can't be beat! But his shop has a limited menu. Fresh and delicious, but limited. There is a LOT more to Japanese cuisine than just sushi and sashimi. And that's where 'Ai Sushi' shines. Its menu is extensive, and covers the spectrum of Japanese cooking. The only thing I do NOT remember seeing on it is Chanko Nabe, but I doubt Thailand's weather would make anyone really look for a Nabe dish except for a week or two in early February.

I'm also not very well versed in Japanese food in general, would love a tutorial dinner date :)

I'm also not very well versed in Japanese food in general, would love a tutorial dinner date smile.png

It could happen... so long as I don't have to put out afterwards... cheesy.gif

• 1 year later...

This seems to be the most recent topic on the subject of sushi, and the final post is over a year old. 

Anything new on this restaurant, or sushi in general?  I'm in the mood for sushi, not supermarket sushi and not elegant Japanese dining, just a place with good sushi, wasabe and ginger for a reasonable price, with beer to wash it down.  Something like the old Sushi Box would work.

3 hours ago, heybruce said:

This seems to be the most recent topic on the subject of sushi, and the final post is over a year old. 

Anything new on this restaurant, or sushi in general?  I'm in the mood for sushi, not supermarket sushi and not elegant Japanese dining, just a place with good sushi, wasabe and ginger for a reasonable price, with beer to wash it down.  Something like the old Sushi Box would work.

Ai Sushi, on Huay Kaew Rd, just next to the Shell station, is as good as any small neighborhood sushi shop in Japan, although their sashimi selection is limited. The menu is quite varied, but very authentically Japanese, with the addition of quite a few 'fusion' creations too. The set menu is well laid out, and presented exactly as you'd get it in Japan, and the prices are a good value.  I lived in Kyoto for 15 years before moving to Chiang Mai, and going into Ai Sushi is a stroll down memory lane. I wish the sashimi selection was bigger, to include a variety of shell fish and other hard-fleshed fish, but this is Chiang Mai. I'll take what I can get.

On 8/5/2017 at 5:41 AM, FolkGuitar said:

Ai Sushi, on Huay Kaew Rd, just next to the Shell station, is as good as any small neighborhood sushi shop in Japan, although their sashimi selection is limited. The menu is quite varied, but very authentically Japanese, with the addition of quite a few 'fusion' creations too. The set menu is well laid out, and presented exactly as you'd get it in Japan, and the prices are a good value.  I lived in Kyoto for 15 years before moving to Chiang Mai, and going into Ai Sushi is a stroll down memory lane. I wish the sashimi selection was bigger, to include a variety of shell fish and other hard-fleshed fish, but this is Chiang Mai. I'll take what I can get.

I will check it out.  Thank you.

On 4/23/2016 at 5:50 PM, FolkGuitar said:

When it comes to Japanese restaurants, the one next to the Shell Station on Huay Kaew Rd has some of the more 'authentic' tastes in town. Certainly better than any of the shopping mall Japanese restaurants!

It has a rather large menu selection, and everything is served Japanese style, and at prices that aren't too bad.

Having lived and worked in Japan for more than 15 years before coming to Thailand, I was surprised to find a place that 'felt' like a Japanese restaurant here in Chiang Mai. While the service isn't up to Japanese standards, it's not really too bad, and definitely better than what we find in most Thai restaurants . The food is fresh and presented in a Japanese manner, even on the same plates and bowls you'll fined in any family-style restaurant in Japan. The foods all taste the way you'd expect them to as well; good... but not something to write home about.

I do have one complaint, though, and that is the selection of sushi in their 'sushi set' leaves a lot to be desired, so when I order that, I just add a few 'a la cart' plates along side. Problem solved, and a pleasant Japanese meal in comfortable surroundings close to home.

Um, CM is a long way from the ocean. Do you expect fresh seafood in Chiang Mai?

7 hours ago, Ruffian Dick said:

Um, CM is a long way from the ocean. Do you expect fresh seafood in Chiang Mai?

Yes. Most commercial fishing boats today pack their catch in ice as soon as it's caught. Some is even flash frozen. They spend many days a sea before returning to the docks to unload. Unless one lives on the coast and buys fish directly from the small fishing boats that go out and back in a day,  no one gets 'fresh' fish. Even in Japan. Refrigerated trucks and trains do a very good job of getting the freshest available seafood inland. People in the Central Plains states in the US now have a good variety of sashimi-grade seafood despite being 1,500 miles from the sea. So would Chiang Mai if the Thais wanted it here. There just isn't the demand to make it worthwhile to the shops.

There is one small sushi shop just north of the moat that many Japanese visit. The Japanese owner goes out to sea 3-4 days a week and brings back his own catch. His shop is only open a few days a week, and the menu is limited, but his fish is top-rated sashimi-quality, and it's usually hard to get a seat in his small shop unless you get there early.

On 8/5/2017 at 5:41 AM, FolkGuitar said:

I tried Ai Sushi on Friday.  The service could have been better, it took me a few minutes to catch the eye of a waiter and order another beer.  Also, a sushi place should have one or two Japanese beers available.

That being said, the food was excellent and the prices reasonable.  I will definitely go back.

Archived