PM Prayut says int'l organizations not allowed to observe referendum

webfact

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who owns Thailand ..or is it owned by Thai people.

Who has abolished 11 constitutions and replaced it with their own?

Not the Thai People.

Who has the power to even ask the question of who owns Thailand?

Not the Thai People.

Who avoids prosecution for High Crimes by mere pronouncement?

Not the Thai People.

As Prayut has said several times, he is the one who decides for the Thai People.

Someday the Thai People may show him otherwise.

I have police friends and even they are saying the police loyalties are dividing. They are worried. They also say they their army friends are dividing in loyalries.

All because of what we are seeing more and more.

Their words to me... you are going to be safe in your housebut doubt step outside.

Their advice is to leave.

I am taking that advice as I hear it too mNy times now.

I really hate how this country is tearing apart. Sad.

Another group is rather edgy. This from an army friend. Not the police and military but the saffron. That's why DSI scared to make the arrest and the government scared to make the appoinment of the Supreme Patriach official. All things said, matters are heating up but really you don't have to leave to avoid. Thailand has been through many turbulent times and some worse than this but quick to avoid catastrophe or even severe damage to the economy. .

What is he afraid of? Transparency?

And, yes, there are countless occasions where such votes have observed.

Do you think that the British government would allow Thai observers to monitor the Brexit/Bremain referendum if they requested to do so?

Pretty sure if there was a history of dodgy voting, ballot rigging, multiple voting, then why not have international observers?

You're comparing apples to grape fruits .. but you're response is hardly surprising really.

My personal opinion is that his group has marginalised many military officers not to mention police. A force yet to strike back.

Add to that the majority of Thai voters who have waited patiently for a chance to vote for their favourite candidates from previous dismissed governments. To continue to stifle dissent and cling to power while he rigs the outcome of the referendum might be enough to unleash the forces of opposition.

Could be trouble ahead.

At some point the Junta are going to have to allow candidates to canvass for the alleged election that's been promised in 2017 ( on more than one occasion ) what will they do then?

short of naming all the candidates who can stand, and short of them all coming from the military, the country is being squeezed one way or another to accept a totally military rule.

hmmm.... was not the EC suppose to be responsible for running the election.... oops!

Yes they are, that's why they are not running this referendum!!

I should have said referendum and you are wrong - at least that was the way it was suppose to be.

"The Election Commission of Thailand has been entrusted with arranging a national referendum on the draft constitution of Thailand.
The decision was made by a joint meeting of the Cabinet and the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), chaired by Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha on 19 May 2015.
The meeting agreed that the 2014 Interim Constitution be amended to allow the organizing of the national referendum in the next step. After the passage of the draft constitution, the national referendum would take place immediately. The Prime Minister said that the amendment to the Interim Constitution had been proposed by the National Reform Council. The national referendum would also delay the timeframe of the roadmap set earlier for a general election."

Hmm combine these statements with last years attempts for a signal gate way internet link, meetings with Facebook and Google. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see whats in store for the future.

"drag in outsiders to allocate the country" does that incl China or just farangs?

The ambiguity of that statement certainly much greater than the declaration of no tolerance ! invokes thoughts of "ethnic cleansing" !

To which the answer is 'Yes' unless you have evidence otherwise.

A rhetorical question doesn't call for an answer - it is purely to demonstrate or emphasise a point.

What point are you emphasing? The point you tried to suggest that Thai observers would not be allowed to observe a UK referedndum?

Not sure if you missed it, but there was quite a fuss kicked up last year when the Thai EC went to bonny Scotland to observe their referendum!

Mind you from what I've been reading the US itself could use some observers as seems to be plenty of dodgy practices in their vote counting. But unsurprisingly seems they get a free pass.

So that's your opinion of the US out of the way. Fabulous. Now, let's get to Thailand: Do you think they should allow international observers for the referendum?

Hmm combine these statements with last years attempts for a signal gate way internet link, meetings with Facebook and Google. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see whats in store for the future.

"drag in outsiders to allocate the country" does that incl China or just farangs?

Don't be silly. The Chinese don't care about referendums. They don't even care about elections. ;)

The prime minister also suggested media representatives to look up in the dictionary for the definition of “good faith” regarding what can or cannot do or expressed as stated in the Referendum Act 2016

Like the 'good faith' in promising elections within six months, 2015/2016/2017/....2023...

Thailand needs to be rid of this increasingly unstable lunatic. Sharpish.

I love Thailand, I admire what the Pm is trying to achieve, but he is no longer running just the Army

This appears to a mere mortal like me to be adopting policies like the old Burma did, and actually moving further away from democracy, The Pm is very intelligent I am sure, is he being badly advised I wonder

In any case I fully accept it is none of my business, my observations are only meant to be honest and helpful

Do you think that the British government would allow Thai observers to monitor the Brexit/Bremain referendum if they requested to do so?

Probably, but this not about the UK government is it, it's about internationally respected bodies asking for access.

EC rejects claims of lavish overseas trips
The Nation
September 23, 2014 1:00 am
Puchong Nutrawong, secretary-general of the Election Commission (EC), yesterday denied allegations that the commission was splurging on trips to Europe.
He defended the EC, saying the purpose of the recent trips was to observe general elections in Sweden, Denmark and the United Kingdom, plus the public referendum in Scotland. He said the commissioners hoped to have the know-how to improve elections and public referendums in Thailand.
He went on to say that funding for the trip had been earmarked seven months ago as part of the 2014 budget. No foreign trips will be allowed under the 2015 fiscal budget, as per the junta's regulations.
Puchong admitted that some people, who were not staff members of the EC, had joined the trip, but said they had gone there to help collect data and not travel for pleasure.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/EC-rejects-claims-of-lavish-overseas-trips-30243891.html

Ex-EC chief warns officials over expenses for trips abroad

A FORMER election commissioner yesterday warned Election Commission (EC) executives over previous overseas trips, saying they might not be appropriate given the upcoming referendum.
Sodsri Sattayatham said the EC should give better advice to the public regarding referendum campaigns, responding to earlier criticism that EC members had wasted state funds on trips abroad.
The EC has claimed that they used Political Development Funds for their trips.
The Thai EC famously boondogled their way to Scotland for that referendum. Not sure where else they've been traipsing off to on their "trips"?
Scotland Trip For Work Not Sightseeing, EC Insists

EC rejects claims of lavish overseas trips
The Nation
September 23, 2014 1:00 am
Puchong Nutrawong, secretary-general of the Election Commission (EC), yesterday denied allegations that the commission was splurging on trips to Europe.
He defended the EC, saying the purpose of the recent trips was to observe general elections in Sweden, Denmark and the United Kingdom, plus the public referendum in Scotland. He said the commissioners hoped to have the know-how to improve elections and public referendums in Thailand.
He went on to say that funding for the trip had been earmarked seven months ago as part of the 2014 budget. No foreign trips will be allowed under the 2015 fiscal budget, as per the junta's regulations.
Puchong admitted that some people, who were not staff members of the EC, had joined the trip, but said they had gone there to help collect data and not travel for pleasure.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/EC-rejects-claims-of-lavish-overseas-trips-30243891.html

Ex-EC chief warns officials over expenses for trips abroad

A FORMER election commissioner yesterday warned Election Commission (EC) executives over previous overseas trips, saying they might not be appropriate given the upcoming referendum.
Sodsri Sattayatham said the EC should give better advice to the public regarding referendum campaigns, responding to earlier criticism that EC members had wasted state funds on trips abroad.
The EC has claimed that they used Political Development Funds for their trips.
The Thai EC famously boondogled their way to Scotland for that referendum. Not sure where else they've been traipsing off to on their "trips"?
Scotland Trip For Work Not Sightseeing, EC Insists

so they go to OBSERVE other elections then come back and say NO observing here? hmmm how "Thai"

I think you'll find LannaGuy the EC go to observe to learn how elections /referendums are conducted. They don't go to check it's fair or not. Same as all the junkets to Western democratic institutions - in theory to learn the mechanisms, as well as trips to Man U and shopping of course.

Yes. They would welcome open discussion of groups (more than 5 persons) to have freedom of expression. Any group of observers would be granted access to the Brexit referendum. Talking about the UK and Thailand in the same breath is the same as comparing black & white. Have a look at what's happening in the UK now regarding Brexit. Then compare this with Prayut's dictates on the Charter referendum. I recommend you visit a Top Chareon shop if you can't find the difference.

Yes. They would welcome open discussion of groups (more than 5 persons) to have freedom of expression. Any group of observers would be granted access to the Brexit referendum. Talking about the UK and Thailand in the same breath is the same as comparing black & white. Have a look at what's happening in the UK now regarding Brexit. Then compare this with Prayut's dictates on the Charter referendum. I recommend you visit a Top Chareon shop if you can't find the difference.

Top Chaoern shops have always puzzled me, I see them all over Thailand, well designed/decorated with ladies in smart uniforms willing and ready to sell glasses yet I rarely see a customer! Tell me how do they survive?

Don't worry about lucky11. He and his ilk are becoming more desperate so they are flinging poop at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Yes.

........and the Togan, Nepalese, Mali, North Korean, Russian, Chinese observers?

Mr. Lucky, in the past, VOA has reported on Thai elections. What makes now different than then ? Are you also agreeing the gagging of debate ? Do you believe in universal suffrage and representative government ?

'i will no longer tolerate it'

this is getting more and more disturbing.

this ship's captain is starting to navigate without maps or stars.

Ah, but he is carrying the roadmap in his head!biggrin.png