Are 'premium' car brands overrated?

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people in the world have jobs. Jobs generally don't pay well. In a country of 60 million people - how many business owners do you think there are? How many are making say US$50k a month or more? That's not a big business, in fact, it's quite small.

There is a guy selling noodles in Sukhumvit Soi 65 who, by the looks of how busy he is each day is easily making around 300K Baht per month.

You make my day !!...

selling noodles in Thailand makes you earn 300.000 thb per month.. I almost piss on my pant.. you are a really funny guy !

and incomes that reach 2M per month is RARE.... you have to give me statistics instead of talking about "plenty".

The President of France is earning : 14 910,31 € bruts per month.. (that means you have to take out 25% out to know what is left after tax)

that is around : 602 293 thb per month.. before tax.. and He's the PRESIDENT ^^

So yes.. many people earns 1M per month.. it's well known..

wai2.gif clap2.gif clap2.gif wub.png cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

Have you maybe ever considered that some people don't actually pay tax. Yes maybe the President of France does get paid that amount but I am sure he doesnt pay for his car, house, utility bills and so on. What car do you have here in Thailand? What part do you live in?

even with tax not paying payed wich that is not possible usually because it's illegal anywhere in the world.. I guess, but maybe I am wrong again ^^ It's just a matter of 20% to 50% no more.

People who do earn so much are buisiness man.. CAC 40 people, BIG drug dealers and so on... it just a few in %, very rare to find !

What car do I have here ? if you are so curious just dig in the forum.. you'll find it by yourself, it's a cheap one !

What part ? around 20mn away from CM, pure country side

I don't pay tax so looks like your wrong again. There are plenty expats working overseas and living in Thailand that don't pay tax. smile.png Doesn't matter if your car is cheap just as long as your happy with it. thumbsup.gif

I wish I know the trick to upgrade my incomes without being taxed.

You are nice to say this about happiness : Yes i am happy with it because only 2 months more and credit is finished, and it's a manual transmission one :)

altought being said.. if I had a bmw or mercedes to ride, I could get used to I guess :)

Most people in the world have jobs. Jobs generally don't pay well. In a country of 60 million people - how many business owners do you think there are? How many are making say US$50k a month or more? That's not a big business, in fact, it's quite small.

There is a guy selling noodles in Sukhumvit Soi 65 who, by the looks of how busy he is each day is easily making around 300K Baht per month.

You make my day !!...

selling noodles in Thailand makes you earn 300.000 thb per month.. DELETED. you are a really funny guy !

and incomes that reach 2M per month is RARE.... you have to give me statistics instead of talking about "plenty".

The President of France is earning : 14 910,31 € bruts per month.. (that means you have to take out 25% out to know what is left after tax)

that is around : 602 293 thb per month.. before tax.. and He's the PRESIDENT ^^

So yes.. many people earns 1M per month.. it's well known..

wai2.gif clap2.gif clap2.gif wub.png cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

Take a walk up Sukhumvit 65. 150 meters up go sit at the noodle stall on the left if you can find a seat. You will see a constant flow of people coming to buy the noodles for take out. There are 2 people serving and doing nothing but packing the noodles and you can sometimes wait 15 minutes for them as the queue is so long.

Now - to think that the guy averages 10k Baht a day there isn't really a stretch of the imagination. 100 people at 100 Baht a pop. And yes - noodles don't cost 100 Baht but many people come there to take out for the family. Simple math.

As for 'rare' - people that run businesses are not rare at all. They run businesses because being an employee rarely makes you wealthy.

I presume you are an employee yourself. Nothing wrong with it. The president of France is an employee too. It is not a highly paid job. My last day job here paid $180k a year - and I know execs in bigger firms that earn a lot more.

I think you don't really understand what senior managers make in this country, both Thai and Expat. I think also you underestimate the massive difference in earnings between an employee and a business owner.

There's plenty of people earning the money to buy 8,000 BMWs a year.

You are simply not exposed to them.

I've been to army weddings here where there's more gold on display that fort Knox, not to mention a healthy dose of Benzes, Beemers, Porsches and Ferraris.... Plenty of wealth from corruption here too

Edited by Dagnabbit

dagnabit.. 300.000thb per month for noodles means that if the shop works everyday, it means 250 noodles served per day for a 40thb portion. but that means raw material is for free.. so in fact it needs at least 500 noodles cups to serve per day.. not including workers salaries and taxes, well let's say it's possible, but hard to believe without facts.

I am sure this guy drives a benz last model, you are probably right !

No I am not an employee, I am a freelancer and have a lot of freetime to enjoy.. but You make your point, this world sucks ! rich becomes richers.. and poor people becomes poorer more and more .. and that is not going to change soon.

Well, world twisted economy may crack down sooner or later, let's have Hope !

Edited by Zendo

I've been to army weddings here where there's more gold on display that fort Knox, not to mention a healthy dose of Benzes, Beemers, Porsches and Ferraris.... Plenty of wealth from corruption here too

You said it all ^^

dagnabit.. 300.000thb per month for noodles means that if the shop works everyday, it means 250 noodles served per day for a 40thb portion. but that means raw material is for free.. so in fact it needs at least 500 noodles cups to serve per day.. not including workers salaries and taxes, well let's say it's possible, but hard to believe without facts.

I am sure this guy drives a benz last model, you are probably right !

No I am not an employee, I am a freelancer and have a lot of freetime to enjoy.. but You make your point, this world sucks ! rich becomes richers.. and poor people becomes poorer more and more .. and that is not going to change soon.

Well, world twisted economy may crack down one soon, let's have Hope !

Actually he drives a noodle cart ;-)

A BMW Noodle cart.

I think you don't really understand what senior managers make in this country, both Thai and Expat. I think also you underestimate the massive difference in earnings between an employee and a business owner.

I accept only about 100k its not realy big amount.

But total disagree about big sallary senior manager in Thailand.

In China its up cost. In HK its up cost.

From US preferent go to HK as upgraide iven same salary as in US. But in past its be upper benefit as apartment fuel car etc. And ofcouse first 9x K per yaer with out Tax

In Singapure simular.

In Thailand salary in many position less when many country.

And its realy fir Thai be rich buy beemer 5 for 3 salary.

Ps

My thinks

Car price can be up when your 6 month income( spending if its bissnes or investing income)anotger way it overrated.

If car price up more when 1 year income it big overpriced .

I accept only about 100k its not realy big amount.

But total disagree about big sallary senior manager in Thailand.

In China its up cost. In HK its up cost.

From US preferent go to HK as upgraide iven same salary as in US. But in past its be upper benefit as apartment fuel car etc. And ofcouse first 9x K per yaer with out Tax

In Singapure simular.

In Thailand salary in many position less when many country.

And its realy fir Thai be rich buy beemer 5 for 3 salary.

Ps

My thinks

Car price can be up when your 6 month income( spending if its bissnes or investing income)anotger way it overrated.

If car price up more when 1 year income it big overpriced .

Thanks for clearing that up I completely understand now. ermm.gif

Nah, you are confusing mechanics with mechanical.

Not be so silly.

Its not me right post.

And look second meaning i give you mehanicS.

Why why

Who is NAH? You friend?

Nah = No.

Edited by Don Mega

Well Jap car knockers what about Acura & Lexus. smile.png

Lexus desperately need a European designer.

Yeah I find many cars out there ugly and I have always bought a car on looks along with on what I could afford at the time.

Safety or comfort were not an issue, would luv a hard road ride Ferrari. whistling.gif

I guess I didn't make it clear at the time when posts were going on about safety, these Jap cars have good built in protection.

I like the way the cars that have already passed tests then put " with optional front crash prevention." biggrin.png

Honda and Toyota..

Well...

I like my Altezza - its good car. But i more like my 330 bemmer.

And i like my Aristo . But sorry Aristo cant compare becose not have benz same gen year. And from bemmer 5 this is car so far. Its not drive car.

Why you not say about nissan?

Fx its more close to X5. wink.png

So many good car have jap.

But not have real lux.

Lux its mast be individual. Then you get few spec ONLY in shop its cant be lux.its POP ...

When looking at my BMW F10 5 Series I also looked at the Lexus GS.... BMW had won the second I sat inside.

When looking at my BWM F15 X5 I also looked at the Lexus RX and the NX.... NX was too small, the RX was so very very boring.

Of course, as with much of this topic it depends on taste.. but in my opinion the Interior of the BMW was much much better, modern and stylish than Lexus.

Mercedes has recently started making more modern Interiors - however, the ML250 has what I call and 'old mans' interior... it seems way too sober.

One thing is for sure - The interior of the 'premium' brands is much better, softer, luxurious with better quality leather etc than the 'non-premium' Japanese brands and Ford (Again I'm only comparing Thai models).

They don't have Acura in Thailand - so I have no basis for comparison.

My Wife had an Merc A170 - It was like a little Go-Kart, but it was hot to sit in... compared to my seats the leather was hot... lower quality, less breathability than my car at the time, a Range Rover... Yes, a huge difference - but the point I'd like to make is that perhaps many of the differences of a premium brand are very subtle and are only observed once we have ourselves witnessed the difference - Which for the most part means driving a premium on a daily basis before stepping into the 'non-premium' brands and noticing things such as the leather, the switch gear, the ergonomics, the road noise etc etc...

So, are these differences worth it? - thats a personal choice based on price vs personal rating and knowledge.

Isn't the Accura the USA name for the NSX ?

Honda and Toyota..

Well...

I like my Altezza - its good car. But i more like my 330 bemmer.

And i like my Aristo . But sorry Aristo cant compare becose not have benz same gen year. And from bemmer 5 this is car so far. Its not drive car.

Why you not say about nissan?

Fx its more close to X5. wink.png

So many good car have jap.

But not have real lux.

Lux its mast be individual. Then you get few spec ONLY in shop its cant be lux.its POP ...

When looking at my BMW F10 5 Series I also looked at the Lexus GS.... BMW had won the second I sat inside.

When looking at my BWM F15 X5 I also looked at the Lexus RX and the NX.... NX was too small, the RX was so very very boring.

Of course, as with much of this topic it depends on taste.. but in my opinion the Interior of the BMW was much much better, modern and stylish than Lexus.

Mercedes has recently started making more modern Interiors - however, the ML250 has what I call and 'old mans' interior... it seems way too sober.

One thing is for sure - The interior of the 'premium' brands is much better, softer, luxurious with better quality leather etc than the 'non-premium' Japanese brands and Ford (Again I'm only comparing Thai models).

They don't have Acura in Thailand - so I have no basis for comparison.

My Wife had an Merc A170 - It was like a little Go-Kart, but it was hot to sit in... compared to my seats the leather was hot... lower quality, less breathability than my car at the time, a Range Rover... Yes, a huge difference - but the point I'd like to make is that perhaps many of the differences of a premium brand are very subtle and are only observed once we have ourselves witnessed the difference - Which for the most part means driving a premium on a daily basis before stepping into the 'non-premium' brands and noticing things such as the leather, the switch gear, the ergonomics, the road noise etc etc...

So, are these differences worth it? - thats a personal choice based on price vs personal rating and knowledge.

Isn't the Accura the USA name for the NSX ?

Acura is not a model, it's a brand.

Acura is to Honda as Lexus is to Toyota, and Infiniti is to Nissan.

I wanted to buy the new Toyota Fortuner TRD Sportivo 1.7 million Baht (thinking japanese cars are good value for money in Thailand and not overpriced like European inports). Entered the shop three weeks ago and applied for finance at the Toyota dealer near sky train station Punnawithi on Sukhumvit. I agreed to 30% downpayment and paid a 10.000 Baht booking fee. 3 days later got turned down by Toyota Leasing (I earn 250k per month).

Pissed off I went first to the Mercedes Benz dealer near sky train station, applied for finance through their bank SCB for a C-class 350e at 3.4 million baht. Paid a booking fee/deposit 50.000 Baht. From the Benz dealer there went straight to BMW dealer Millennium Auto Rama 4 and applied for finance through BMW Leasing for a 320d at2.8 million Baht. Here again I paid a booking/deposit fee of 50.000Baht.

So now I had applied for finance at three different dealers, had one turned down) and had cashed out three deposits totalling 110.000 Baht. Last week I got my 10.000 back from Toyota (had to go puck up in cash). And last week I got turned down by SCB Bank for finance of the Benz. Thank God! Becuse next day the sales guy at BMW phoned me up and said finance throygh BMW Leasing for the 320d was ok. So now they are getting the car ready for me (cheramic coating and 3M window tints) and I will pick it up Thursday May 12th.

Had SCB said ok for the Benz finance Iwould have lost my deposit of 50.000 (still waiting for them to give me back though...3 weeks they say...)

MartinBkk when you say : BMW "Leasing" for a 320d at2.8 million Baht.

Leasing means that the total price for this car is not 2.8M thb ? it's more ? it's already double price than the EU price, Hope all this taxes will go to school and improving quality of life for Thais and not in the Richest Bangkokians Men pockets..

Why not dreaming ?

Is there any place to ride 200km/h and up around where you live ? with this car it could fun !

Anyway I feel happy for you that you didn't get the Toyota Fortuner TRD Sportivo, this is just a crap car, the last range seats are just for kids only like the seller told me: incredible ! And it's just a big truck without any pleasure to drive.

The BMW leasing I am on is exactly the same as normal car finance in my home country. I pay down 25% cash (700.000 Baht) and then 5 years of financing at 0% interest rate (35.000 per month). Very good offer from BMW. And first class insurance included in the total price of 2.799.000 Baht. At Toyota and Benz the effective interest rate is circa 5% (they actually deceive customers telling them the interest rate is 2.9% - but thats a fixed yearly rate on the total amount, not the real interest rate). Also at Benz insurance not included first year, so another 50-60.000 Baht payout.... I will for sure test the BMW on the road from Bangkok to Pattaya and BKK - Hua Hin. Nice 4-6 lanes road all the way.

It annoys the hell out of BMW and Merc owners when you suggest they're driving a german taxi. thumbsup.gif

Yes!! People don't realise that the home market has basic work-horses and the high-end versions are exported to countries where high import duties can only be justified if the buyer thinks he is getting something special.

a few years ago now in France I had to organise a hire car for an American customer - at the time it was going to be a large top of the range Renault or a Citroen - I thought the American might find the XM interesting.

Anyhow on arriving at the garage to pick it up, I was told that the Renault/Citroen weren't available nd would he make do with a Merc?

My customer was over the moon...that night at the hotel he went on and on about it to everyone how he's been upgraded to a Merc.......I just kept quiet....then he eventually turned to me and said

What, d'you recon? upgrade to one of the best car makers in the world?"

I replied - "Well, they make good taxis" - that shut him up for a bit.

i've said it before and I'll say it again....I'll never be old enough to buy a Merc.

Maybe you'll never be young at heart either.

This 1989 W124 classic sits on the road like a rock, and I enjoy blowing all the skyscraper Wildtraks, Hiluxes, Tritons Fortuners etc. etc. off into the weeds in the hills between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. In comparison, they handle like slop in a bucket.

attachicon.gif1992-Benz-CE300-2.jpg

I never understand what people buy Mercedes. I know they are well engineered but every time I look at one I cant help but think it is a taxi as Germany use a lot of Mercedes as taxi's. Even my wife wont have one. I asked if she wanted one and her response was They are for old people" Apologies to all you Mercedes lovers

My Merc wouldn't make a very good taxi, it's only got two seats smile.png

The BMW leasing I am on is exactly the same as normal car finance in my home country. I pay down 25% cash (700.000 Baht) and then 5 years of financing at 0% interest rate (35.000 per month). Very good offer from BMW. And first class insurance included in the total price of 2.799.000 Baht. At Toyota and Benz the effective interest rate is circa 5% (they actually deceive customers telling them the interest rate is 2.9% - but thats a fixed yearly rate on the total amount, not the real interest rate). Also at Benz insurance not included first year, so another 50-60.000 Baht payout.... I will for sure test the BMW on the road from Bangkok to Pattaya and BKK - Hua Hin. Nice 4-6 lanes road all the way.

Good for you on taking the steps to own a quality piece of manufactured goods. You must be feeling great right now, and you will feel good about it for some time.

What I was wondering, since BMW offer both Hire Purchase or Personal Loan options, I'm not clear which option you took? They would have made it clear to you on purchase, or so they should have.

Safe driving and I hope you make it to the Autobahn.

So why giving them so much... i don't understand.

I was aking for leasing, because in my home country it means you pay per month without first deposit or a small amount and after few years paying by month you can give back the car to the seller or buy it for a good amount.

Otherwise we call it credit and it's usualy around 4 to 6% per year, the less you have.. the more you pay, that's not a big news !

But it's common to get a 0% credit rate for luxury vehicule brand, because they already put a higher price than what it cost really, and never give discount that will make a bad image of the brand.

When I ask about where to drive 200km/h I was not talking about public road , I hope you are not serious about that !

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

Leasing means that the total price for this car is not 2.8M thb ? it's more ? it's already double price than the EU price, Hope all this taxes will go to school and improving quality of life for Thais and not in the Richest Bangkokians Men pockets..

Why not dreaming ?

Is there any place to ride 200km/h and up around where you live ? with this car it could fun !

Anyway I feel happy for you that you didn't get the Toyota Fortuner TRD Sportivo, this is just a crap car, the last range seats are just for kids only like the seller told me: incredible ! And it's just a big truck without any pleasure to drive.

So are the back seats in the Beemer.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

Why not dreaming ?

:)

Thailand road much better than Thailand choice car and car made for thailand marcket.

;)

If honestly say.

And look japan brand in thailand.

Yo7 can say it not overpriced?

How much civic turbo?

35k?

Camry 55k?

And even you say about Fortuner.

Its near 50k

I its price prado/harier or even rx in many country.

So 2.8 ml

If compare with another its not realy big overpraced.

Anotger thinks BMW lost in price more. But its another topic.

;)

No matter how I answer this it's going to come out wrong

Cong

And good fun for you.

You lucky not get mistake buy Fortuner as me.

In Thailand its not same Toyota as another place.

Less qality in service.

Why not dreaming ?

:)

Thailand road much better than Thailand choice car and car made for thailand marcket.

;)

If honestly say.

And look japan brand in thailand.

Yo7 can say it not overpriced?

How much civic turbo?

35k?

Camry 55k?

And even you say about Fortuner.

Its near 50k

I its price prado/harier or even rx in many country.

So 2.8 ml

If compare with another its not realy big overpraced.

Anotger thinks BMW lost in price more. But its another topic.

;)

Good point - all cars are expensive here.

A couple of years ago, they had a display if Fiat 509s in Emporium. Starting price was 1.2m....

Pickups are not expensive here.. much cheaper than in EU, this is a fact !

But others car made here or in Philippines are also not so overpriced.. sorry to tell you.

For example the Mazda CX5 is coming only with auto transmission (that's the bad point) but sold almost as same price as manual gear in EU.

Honda Civic, who whant to by this anyway.. but if you really want : the price in EU start at 1.08M thb up to 1.53M thb, so more expensive that here :

Prices are set at 869,000 baht for 1.8E and 959,000 baht for 1.8EL. The Turbo goes for 1.099 million baht and 1.199 million baht in range-topping RS spec.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/news/895188/new-honda-civic-thai-prices-and-specs

Camry is not available in EU.. so cannot be compared, Fortuner also not sold there.

But BMW and Mercedes or other imported brands are just double priced.. Am I wrong or dreaming ?