New Requirement, Proof Of Income For Retiement Visa ?

Please - does anybody know if the letter from home countries Embassy certifying income ( more than 65K) needs to be stamped by Department of Consular affairs ?

I have read elsewhere that it does :

f using your Embassy Letter certifying income, it will need to have a stamp from the Department of Consular Affairs, which is located in Bangkok (this is a new requirement reported as of the end of March 2016 – you may wish to check with Pattaya Immigration to see if it still being required before making a trip to Bangkok to get it). For more information on the requirement, click here and select from "Extension for the Purpose of Retirement or Being the Spouse of the Retiree" contents, then scroll down to the section on "Process for Obtaining Non-Immigrant "O" Visa and then Extending Your Stay."

Is it from the Pattaya expats club?

What I (also) found there:

As of the end of March 2016, we received reports that if you are using the Embassy Letter certifying income, Pattaya Immigration will not accept it unless it has been verified by the Department of Consular Affairs
This applies only to application for a Non-Immigrant “O” Visa – the stamp is not required if only doing an extension of stay.

That confuses me?

Does Pattaya/Jomtien do visa (conversions)?

And I assume that the OP wants to do an extension of stay NOT a visa (the usual mixup of words).

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/ExtendingStay.pdf

Edited by KhunBENQ

I have seen no report of it being required at Jomtien to get an extension of stay (is not a visa).

The only reports I have seen is for the Nonthaburi immigration office which is known to come up with some strange requirements.

What is the source of the info you posted?

Is it from the Pattaya expats club?

What I (also) found there:

As of the end of March 2016, we received reports that if you are using the Embassy Letter certifying income, Pattaya Immigration will not accept it unless it has been verified by the Department of Consular Affairs

This applies only to application for a Non-Immigrant “O” Visa – the stamp is not required if only doing an extension of stay.

That confuses me?

Does Pattaya/Jomtien do visa (conversions)?

And I assume that the OP wants to do an extension of stay NOT a visa (the usual mixup of words).

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/ExtendingStay.pdf

Yes they do conversions. I have seen one report of it happening at Jomtien when applying for a conversion. That person went to Bangkok and did the conversion afterwards.

I need the visa - too many stamps on arrival, need the O visa first ( I think)

I have stayed longer than 90 in the last 6 months. - but will try again end of this month V.O.A. and get the retirement extension ( if that's what its called)

I have seen no report of it being required at Jomtien to get an extension of stay (is not a visa).

The only reports I have seen is for the Nonthaburi immigration office which is known to come up with some strange requirements.

Thanks Joe - Pattaya expats Club - hopefully attached hereabouts.

retirementvisachecklist.pdf

I have stayed longer than 90 in the last 6 months. - but will try again end of this month V.O.A. and get the retirement extension ( if that's what its called)

There is no 90 day limit for visa exempt entries (not a VOA). Have you gotten a 30 day extension for your current entry.

You need at least 15 days remaining on your entry or the 30 day extension to apply for a non immigrant visa at immigration.

Rather than getting another visa exempt entry it might be best to make a trip to Vientiane for a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over. The will accept a income letter for proof of income.

I just completed the process for extension based on the retirement income requirement. I live in Nonthaburi and had to get the stamp from Consular Affairs. The process was time-consuming and crowded. I can just imagine if all had to get the stamp. Consular Affairs might as well open another office just for the stamp process.

I hope for everyone's sake, this is not true for anyone other than Nonthaburi residents. I don't like it but we have to live with it as we live here.

There is no 90 day limit for visa exempt entries (not a VOA). Have you gotten a 30 day extension for your current entry.

You need at least 15 days remaining on your entry or the 30 day extension to apply for a non immigrant visa at immigration.

Rather than getting another visa exempt entry it might be best to make a trip to Vientiane for a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over. The will accept a income letter for proof of income.

Thanks again Ubonjoe -

The thing is as I work in PNG & fly to BKK I need to use the Embassy in BKK to get the proof of income letter, on my way to Jomtien

I would try and get the ball rolling on the extension 30/05/16 - is two weeks enough time to get this done ? departing 13 0r 14th June ? - sorry a bit off topic

Thanks again Ubonjoe -

The thing is as I work in PNG & fly to BKK I need to use the Embassy in BKK to get the proof of income letter, on my way to Jomtien

I would try and get the ball rolling on the extension 30/05/16 - is two weeks enough time to get this done ? departing 13 0r 14th June ? - sorry a bit off topic

I don't think 2 weeks will be long enough to get it done. It takes that long to get the visa and 90 day entry stamp after doing the application.

What country are your from?

Your best option may be to go to Vientiane and get the single entry non-o visa and then get a re-entry permit to keep the 90 day entry valid when you enter from your trip.. Then apply for the extension when you return.

How long will you be out of the country when you make your trip out of the country.

Thanks again Ubonjoe -

I don't think 2 weeks will be long enough to get it done. It takes that long to get the visa and 90 day entry stamp after doing the application.

Your best option may be to go to Vientiane and get the single entry non-o visa and then get a re-entry permit to keep the 90 day entry valid when you enter from your trip.. Then apply for the extension when you return.

How long will you be out of the country when you make your trip out of the country.

NZ Citizen - in PNG now - could travel through Vientiane I guess - will have to read up on the requirements for single entry non-O - 6 weeks out of county again after 13th of June.

Thanks again Ubonjoe -

NZ Citizen - in PNG now - could travel through Vientiane I guess - will have to read up on the requirements for single entry non-O - 6 weeks out of county again after 13th of June.

I was asking for your nationality to know how long it would take to get the income letter. The NZ embassy does them as a statutory declaration on the same day.

You will need the income letter to apply for the non-o visa. You would give them a copy and show them the original so you can use it when you apply for the extension. You might need some proof of your address also. Other than those two things and your passport plus a copy you would need nothing else. You would get the visa the next afternoon after you apply for the visa the morning of of day one.

You should look into flying from Bangkok to Udon Thani and then take a van from the airport in Udon to the crossing at Nong Khai. You can get early enough flights you could be at the consular section of the embassy by 11:30 on the same day. Then fly back the next evening from Udon.

You can get the re-entry permit at the airport on departure from the country. At Suv (BKK) the office is open from 5 am to midnight. See this topic for it's location New location of re-entry office at Suvarnabhumi

When you return from the trip after the next one the timing would be almost perfect to apply for the extension at Jomtien.

I went to the Chonburi Imm Office in Jomtien today to apply for a visa conversion

from Tourist to Non Imm-O, based on being over 50yrs old and wanting to apply for a retirement extension

i used the income verification letter showing over 65k bt per month from the UK Embassy in Bangkok.

The Imm officer told me that this letter needs to be stamped by the Dept of Foreign Affairs

in Bangkok before it can be approved in my application.

They also wanted a copy of my condo title deed, Blue Book and a letter from the condo juristic

person to clarify that i reside there.

A self drawn map showing the location of my residence.

​The other requirements were the usual copies of passport pages, current Tourist visa, entry stamp,

and TM.6 arrival/departure card.

Filled in TM.86 change of visa application form with photo.

My understanding is that the income verification letter only needs to be stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs if you are like me, applying for a change of Visa first to a Non Imm-O,before applying for a retirement extension.

Edited by sotsira

I got my income verification in 30 minutes (with an appt.) at the US Consulate in BKK.

No evidence required of income just submit the papers and pay, then receive the form with the official stamp.

Most on here are just trying to be helpful, but it sure seems there is no clear cut answer to many questions because you may indeed get an immigration officer who asks for this or that, or an office that has certain policies, or not consistent normal processes(if there is such a thing in Thailand).

But reading this thread and many others makes me so happy I went thru an agency and got my retirement Visa with the 90 day, plus 12 months, and multiple re-entry in about an hour at BKK immigration.

But, good luck to all with the process.

Edited by bkk6060

I went to the Chonburi Imm Office in Jomtien today to apply for a visa conversion

from Tourist to Non Imm-O, based on being over 50yrs old and wanting to apply for a retirement extension

i used the income verification letter showing over 65k bt per month from the UK Embassy in Bangkok.

The Imm officer told me that this letter needs to be stamped by the Dept of Foreign Affairs

in Bangkok before it can be approved in my application.

They also wanted a copy of my condo title deed, Blue Book and a letter from the condo juristic

person to clarify that i reside there.

A self drawn map showing the location of my residence.

​The other requirements were the usual copies of passport pages, current Tourist visa, entry stamp,

and TM.6 arrival/departure card.

Filled in TM.86 change of visa application form with photo.

My understanding is that the income verification letter only needs to be stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs if you are like me, applying for a change of Visa first to a Non Imm-O,before applying for a retirement extension.

That makes me think that Jomtien has figured out a way to discourage people from applying for non immigrant visas there. Bangkok immigration where they send the application to for approval do not require it.

To save the trip to Bangkok you might want to check with a major translation service who might be be able do it for you. A translation service would be familiar with the legalization section at the consular affairs department from having translations certified.

Most on here are just trying to be helpful, but it sure seems there is no clear cut answer to many questions because you may indeed get an immigration officer who asks for this or that, or an office that has certain policies, or not consistent normal processes(if there is such a thing in Thailand).

But reading this thread and many others makes me so happy I went thru an agency and got my retirement Visa with the 90 day, plus 12 months, and multiple re-entry in about an hour at BKK immigration.

What was the cost for an agency to do this for you?

If I use the UK Embassy letter as proof of sufficient monthly income, do I still need a letter from my BKK Bank when applying for my annual retirement 'visa' at Jomtien?

If you are using the income option you do not need anything from the bank.

The past 6 years Pathum Thani Immigration accepted an affidavit about my income after legalisation by my Embassy.

Last month and or the first time they sent me to the Foreign Ministry to get legalisation of the Embassy stamp and signature.

It was not a pleasant experience but I must say that this a very normal requirement : indeed only the Legalisation Division at Foreign Ministry has a copy of the all the signatures and stamps used by the Embassies.

Edited by fvw53

The past 6 years Pathum Thani Immigration accepted an affidavit about my income after legalisation by my Embassy.

Last month and or the first time they sent me to the Foreign Ministry to get legalisation of the Embassy stamp and signature.

It was not a pleasant experience but I must say that this a very normal requirement : indeed only the Legalisation Division at Foreign Ministry has a copy of the all the signatures and stamps used by the Embassies.

It is certainly not a normal requirement at immigration offices. Only at rogue offices is it being asked for.

If I use the UK Embassy letter as proof of sufficient monthly income, do I still need a letter from my BKK Bank when applying for my annual retirement 'visa' at Jomtien?

If you are using the income option you do not need anything from the bank.

Thank you Joe - that's saved me 100 baht & a tedious journey into Pattaya.