Non International Schools

ArranP

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

My personal life choices in Thailand do not effect my ability to comment on this thread.

But you have no personal input (as in local life experience) to the original post. That's why I did not offer any advice to the OP.

These were the questions put to me by oilinki:

"I'm quite curious to hear your definition of the quality of education."

"Lets hear your definition, before moving forward."

"Please, do include the specifics, how you measure the quality of education."

I was asked these questions, and I answered, using "specifics" in the form of university rankings etc.

Note, the questions are not Thailand specific, although i related my answers to Thailand, for the benefit of the thread.

Nowhere did oilinki ask about my personal experience sending children to school on Phuket.

LIK, how about you play the post, not the poster.

No, you did not answer his questions but were skirting around the subject.

It's a complex question, but I answered how I measured the quality of education. That is, by the school's history of having successful students. This is not uncommon among parents, when "shopping" for a school for their children.

Edited by NamKangMan

I don't have any kids.

The main reason that I don't have kids, is that I'm unwilling to go back to my own country for the benefit of their education, which I would be bound to do.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I agree with NKM as far as being able to hold an objective opinion, even though you don't have kids yourself.

I don't have any kids.

The main reason that I don't have kids, is that I'm unwilling to go back to my own country for the benefit of their education, which I would be bound to do.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I agree with NKM as far as being able to hold an objective opinion, even though you don't have kids yourself.

I'm in a similar position. In my mid-50s and never expected to have kids. Now I have a 1-year old and I am having to seriously consider a return home after 11 happy years living in Thailand.

I don't have any kids.

I'm in a similar position. In my mid-50s and never expected to have kids. Now I have a 1-year old and I am having to seriously consider a return home after 11 happy years living in Thailand.

10 years here for me. i always knew if i had kids i would have to go back to nz for their schooling. the international schools are quite good here however and i think i will just go back for their high school years. that should be enough to set them up for university there if thats what they want to do. i am not sure on phuket but phonex school in pattaya for example is only about 100K thb per year. bit more for the english programme.

I don't have any kids.

Just to clarify, I do have children, but not to a Thai National, and they do not reside in Thailand. In any case, they are adults now.

The "life choices" I mentioned were for this precise point in time, living on Phuket. It may not be the case in the future, but I can say it will not be my choice to have more children with anyone, anywhere, and I will take steps to ensure this in the future, should I have to.

Careful KB. You may even end up agreeing with me that the lack of proper public transport on Phuket has had a huge negative effect on the tourism industry here. smile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

I hear good things about Gecko Community School - not sure if it qualifies as a non international school though. It's a small school run by passionate teachers, most of teaching is done in English but they have Thai teachers too. My friends' kids started loving going to school since they joined Gecko. It's located in Thalang, on the backroad to the airport. I think they accept kids aged 3 to 7 but worth checking for yourself. http://www.geckoschool.org/

please consider moving back to your country if you dont send them to darasamuth

They should come ahead of your desires

Please do not want to turn this thread into a debate about education and which country to live!

Suffice to say I would like them to grow up, live and work in Thailand. As adults, they will be competing for employment with other Thais so they need to read and write and speak Thai.

bp has a point.

You would be restricting your kids to a working life of 9,000 baht a month.

Nonsense. Thai salaries can be, and are, much higher. The admin staff where I work are earning around 20-30,000 a month (Bangkok).

And how much are admin staff earning in the west????

Would you be happy earning 20 - 30,000 baht a month?

And how much is the cost of living in the west, how competitive is the market, since when is going to a good school any sort of guarantee that you yourself will be smart, or get good grades or a job with a great salary? Apples and oranges mate he is asking about schools not your judgement

Edited by starky

@ starky

Maybe you have heard that famous saying, "Make your money in the west, keep your money in the west, spend your money in Thailand."

These 50/50 kid could have it all, with a decent education. Even on minimum wage in the west, they could still clean up in Thailand.

They could work in the west and retire young in Thailand, and can own land here.

Unless the "old man farang" leaves them a lot of money, and without a decent education, they will p*ss it all away, they will just be a regular Thai with their nose to the grindstone.

So, "mate" it's really about earning a few "oranges" in the west, and being able to afford to buy a heap of "apples" in Thailand. biggrin.png

Edited by NamKangMan

What about the quality of education????

I'm quite curious to hear your definition of the quality of education.

Lets hear your definition, before moving forward.

Please, do include the specifics, how you measure the quality of education.

So, oilinki, how do you define "quality of education?"

Please do include specifics, how you measure the quality of education.