List of bike Modifications That will result in a Penalty or Impounded ?

List of bike Modifications That will result in a Penalty or Impounded ?

G.f said the junta issued a list of upgrades/modifications that can attract a penalty and/or the bike getting impounded. Is this correct ?

Paying a no-helmet fine before I did see bikes all lined up tha looked like they were seized.....

OK, don't laugh - could a complete body paneling mod with stock exhaust and mirrors,lights, number plate pass the roadblocks...like this...

T_Max_15_Original.jpg

i found a guy who can tear off the paneling rebuild it along these lines....

Not a T-max mod, but another lower CC bike same idea....

http://www.rolandsands.com/blog/383/t-max

The ONLY exhaust I'd consider putting on is a certified stamped one, even then I'd look at muffling it a tiny bit.

I like the look of the twin pipe exhaust vs the sound which is a headache for others really....

Edited by freedomnow

I have been pulled over a few times on my bike (red), usually the cops say "nice bike" and let me go once they check my license. My brother has the same bike (black), only mod is the pipe which is too loud and has has it impounded twice with a 1000 baht fine.post-30837-0-60656200-1463200739_thumb.j

Edited by smccolley

Exhaust is the main one. The rest u get away with i think. 1000 fine for pipes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

There are so many bikes going by evenings (after the cops roll up the rug and leave) and nights with altered pipes I wonder how the BIB checks them out? or do they bother. At least 20 go by my condo in the evening and nightime (we like to leave the balcony door open for fresh air)I know its to much work for the BIB to do a citywide evening rotation on checking these noisy beasts. Anything to do with proper policing seems to be out of their range here.

I have been pulled over a few times on my bike (red), usually the cops say "nice bike" and let me go once they check my license. My brother has the same bike (black), only mod is the pipe which is too loud and has has it impounded twice with a 1000 baht fine.attachicon.gifbike-bkg-small.jpg

Looks like your getting the guilty finger point in the picture

Exhaust noise above 95 db. Police cannot fine you unless he correctly measures the db with an equipment, at an appropriate distance and at 1/4 of the throttle.

Lack of mirrors. You can have one tiny bar-end mirror, but any less than that (basically no mirrors), would result in a fine.

License plate not easily visible. You guys who done fender eliminator mod and placed your license plate under the bike near the rear suspension and it is not properly angled, you will be fined.

I have been pulled over a few times on my bike (red), usually the cops say "nice bike" and let me go once they check my license. My brother has the same bike (black), only mod is the pipe which is too loud and has has it impounded twice with a 1000 baht fine.attachicon.gifbike-bkg-small.jpg

Congratulations, you have met a thai who understands sarcasm, theres not many around

No mirrors is another one they nick loads of kids for in my hometown.

Just as I rode off from the seller after buying my new big bike, I was stopped at a road block and the cop complained about no mirrors. I had tiny ones the previous owner had installed on the bike.. argued with him for a while and even invited him to sit on the bike to see that they really are mirrors.. after he got tired and let me go.

To be honest, the cop was rather right, they are crap. I'll probably put back the OEM KTM ones just for my own safety :D

Exhaust noise above 95 db. Police cannot fine you unless he correctly measures the db with an equipment, at an appropriate distance and at 1/4 of the throttle.

Lack of mirrors. You can have one tiny bar-end mirror, but any less than that (basically no mirrors), would result in a fine.

License plate not easily visible. You guys who done fender eliminator mod and placed your license plate under the bike near the rear suspension and it is not properly angled, you will be fined.

Are you sure about the exhaust thing? I have seen so many reports on a expat biker fb group of people getting fines for aftermarket exhaust without any kind of decibel measurement. Not bribes, but the actual 1000 baht fine.

As an example, here is a bare bones tear-down of a Forza. It would then be rebuilt similar to the OP photo at the top in the SAME COLOUR as the green book listed colour.

index.jpg

Same stock exhaust or a certified one, license plate visible, all lights and mirrors installed all as per the original.

Just unsure if after sinking money into a frame rebuild it would get impounded as it would be a PCX or Forza looking like a hybrid cafe racer automatic.

Good question, but its very difficult to answer, but ill try my best of my ability.

First things first, you need to understand that all police officer have their own agenda, in the eyes of the law, nothing is specific, but laws that are specific just dont work and makes no sense.

Laws states that you cannot change or modify your vehicle in any way shape or form. this law apply to all vehicle that is register, and if a vehicle is not its considered illegal and can be confiscated,

but here's the argument, your registered vehicle only states the color, the engine type, the CC, inline 4 or 2 or 1, model or series.

so with that being said, you can technically modify anything that i didn't mention above. but here's where things get confusing.

Police officer always use this LAW to fine you, but mainly exhaust or hidden license plate.

normally under all circumstances, your after market mirrors, tires, back seat cover, frame slider, fender eliminator, bars any kind of modification done to your bike can be held as infractions under this law, but you dont and that where the irony of the matter is.

so it all comes down to the police officer, to let you pass or to fine you.

Rule of thumbs. If a police officer stops you and is issuing you a ticket, if you dont want your bike impounded, take the ticket and pay the fee, but if you do then by all means argue with them.

Hope this clears up some confusion.

post-259301-0-56390100-1463300456_thumb.

Good question, but its very difficult to answer, but ill try my best of my ability.

First things first, you need to understand that all police officer have their own agenda, in the eyes of the law, nothing is specific, but laws that are specific just dont work and makes no sense.

Laws states that you cannot change or modify your vehicle in any way shape or form. this law apply to all vehicle that is register, and if a vehicle is not its considered illegal and can be confiscated,

but here's the argument, your registered vehicle only states the color, the engine type, the CC, inline 4 or 2 or 1, model or series.

so with that being said, you can technically modify anything that i didn't mention above. but here's where things get confusing.

Police officer always use this LAW to fine you, but mainly exhaust or hidden license plate.

normally under all circumstances, your after market mirrors, tires, back seat cover, frame slider, fender eliminator, bars any kind of modification done to your bike can be held as infractions under this law, but you dont and that where the irony of the matter is.

Rule of thumbs. If a police officer stops you and is issuing you a ticket, if you dont want your bike impounded, take the ticket and pay the fee, but if you do then by all means argue with them.

Thanks for that !

What does the blue sign say in your photo...it is just out of focus... " Welcome to Tea Money Shake-down " ???

They have to hear me, no?tongue.png

the pedestrians, the other small motorbikes and the dogs, cows ect until now never paid, but jumped the road block twice. rolleyes.gif

12189570_962678840437075_415386192202203

Edited by ALFREDO

Thanks for that !

What does the blue sign say in your photo...it is just out of focus... " Welcome to Tea Money Shake-down " ???

DELETED, it says "Welcome to Yala". Apparently you have no clue what goes on down south to have checkpoints like these. The last thing these guys are interested in is collecting tea money.

Edited by seedy
flaming

Good but not quite right. My son had his MSX impounded and issued a ticket too for noisy exhaust, and no he didn't "argue" with the policeman. Cost him 500 baht the next morning upon which the bike was released. Also about 20 other kids bikes were impounded the same night at the same roadblock .... think they were trying to make a point to inconvienience the offenders also by saying "come back in the morning" to collect your bike.

Oh, sorry never knew that. No offense meant, thought it was some Bangkok sign.

Thanks for that !

DELETED, it says "Welcome to Yala". Apparently you have no clue what goes on down south to have checkpoints like these. The last thing these guys are interested in is collecting tea money.

Oh, sorry never knew that. No offense meant, thought it was some Bangkok sign.

Thanks for that !

Didn't think you did, since your original post started with being stopped for not wearing a helmet, says it all.

You can have 40db performance exhaust and u get finned. Illegal modification. Air pollution no catalizator. No thai standard industry stamp.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk