Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

12 minutes ago, carmine said:

I know its going to be a complicated build what with the space restrictions but i had no idea it was going to be a four years process!!

50 % of Stamford Bridge is surrounded by railway track , so the plan is to bridge over the railway track and build on that , which will take a while .

The ground level will need to be lowered , 246 brick columns and the surrounding area will be developed .

4 year estimate 

25 minutes ago, carmine said:

I know its going to be a complicated build what with the space restrictions but i had no idea it was going to be a four years process!!

To be fair, if I remember correctly it’s the Chelsea fans who’ve made it complicated as they wouldn’t let Roman build it anywhere else

42 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

To be fair, if I remember correctly it’s the Chelsea fans who’ve made it complicated as they wouldn’t let Roman build it anywhere else

Planning restrictions in that borough make it difficult.  I think he even tried to have the old Battersea Power Station thrown into consideration.  That could have been spectacular.

42 minutes ago, carmine said:

Planning restrictions in that borough make it difficult.  I think he even tried to have the old Battersea Power Station thrown into consideration.  That could have been spectacular.

From what I remember it was nothing to do with that. Roman wanted to build a brand new stadium elsewhere and buy the freehold for Stamford Bridge from the Chelsea Pitch Owners organization so that he could recoup some of the costs. They wouldn’t let him so the only option left was to rebuild The Bridge and that still has to be approved by them. Also, again if I remember rightly the CPO own the Chelsea name and lease it back to the club as long as they play their home games at the Bridge. The Chelsea fans on here can probably go into more depth but basically, without the CPOs vote Roman was screwed

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

From what I remember it was nothing to do with that. Roman wanted to build a brand new stadium elsewhere and buy the freehold for Stamford Bridge from the Chelsea Pitch Owners organization so that he could recoup some of the costs. They wouldn’t let him so the only option left was to rebuild The Bridge and that still has to be approved by them. Also, again if I remember rightly the CPO own the Chelsea name and lease it back to the club as long as they play their home games at the Bridge. The Chelsea fans on here can probably go into more depth but basically, without the CPOs vote Roman was screwed

I have a couple of COO shares, I don't remember anything about the name rights, but it's set up that you only have one vote regardless of how many shares you own.

I think that the vote was ill-prepared and rushed (much like the EU vote). Had the Chelsea hierarchy done a better job they might have got the result they were looking for. I'm pretty sure that BPS would have got a clear "yes".

3 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

I have a couple of COO shares, I don't remember anything about the name rights, 

Just looked on wiki and it says:-

Chelsea suffered serious financial troubles during the 1970s and 1980s following a large-scale attempt to renovate Stamford Bridge. The financial crisis and a subsequent change of ownership at the club culminated into property developers Marler Estates (and subsequently Cabra Estates). The move almost saw Chelsea lose the stadium.

The future of the stadium (and hence the club) was only secured in 1992, when the property developers were bankrupted by a market crash, allowing the then-chairman Ken Bates to do a deal with their bankers and to regain control of the stadium for the football club. Following this, Chelsea Pitch Owners was created, and in 1997 it purchased the Stamford Bridge freehold, the turnstiles, the pitch and the Chelsea FC name with the aid of a non-recourse loan of £10 million from Chelsea Village plc, the parent company of the club. The CPO in turn granted the club a 199-year lease on Stamford Bridge at a peppercorn rent.

In granting control of the freehold to Chelsea Pitch Owners, the intention was to ensure that Stamford Bridge could never again be sold to property developers. Irrespective of how many shares are owned by an individual, voting rights are limited to 100 pee shareholder to prevent any one person or organisation gaining control of the CPO.

The CPO also owns the name Chelsea Football Club Ltd, which is licensed back to the club on condition that the first team play their home matches at Stamford Bridge. This means that should Chelsea move to another stadium in the future, they would not be able to use the name Chelsea Football Club without permission from 75% of CPO shareholders.

The company is a non-profit organisation and is not listed on any Stock Exchange. Its purpose is to raise the money needed to pay off the loan and then lease the freehold back to the club, on the strictly-defined proviso that the ground may only be used for football purposes. Fans are encouraged to purchase shares in order to secure the club's future. As of 2011, around 15,000 CPO shares have been sold, and approximately £1.5million of the debt has been paid off.Former club captain John Terry is the current President of the CPO.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

I dunno why we're discussing it carms cos they aint building one now. :biggrin:

Spot on Ronnie. I think Roman may have got cold feet after seeing how the costs shot up to build Spurs new ground.

Spurs were unlucky that during the build UK voted for Brexit and the Pound plummeted against the Euro. A large portion of the labour force will have departed, back to Poland, Ireland and the Baltic states, pushing up labour costs. 

Chelsea were scheduled to start their rebuild post Brexit. Who knows how much costs will be affected then?

Would a cheaper and simpler option be to just rebuild the Matthew Harding and Shed ends?

It looks like Maurizio Sarri will become the new manager with Zola as his assistant manager, according to Sky. Sarri's agent is in London and Zola has left his World Cup pundit's job in South Africa and flown to London. For legal reasons, I think we'll get an announcement of Conte's departure first "by mutual consent, we thank Antonio for his contribution to the club....blah,blah,blah".

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

And so it begins!!!

£50 mil+ for Wilian for 3/4 no end product runs per game...Barca must desperate ?....lets hope so.

A bit harsh, yes he has games like that but there have been times when he's been outstanding.

Looks like Jorginho is on his way with Sarri, the former looks to be a young replacement for Fabregas, he certainly seems to have a range of passes "in his locker".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

A bit harsh, yes he has games like that but there have been times when he's been outstanding.

Looks like Jorginho is on his way with Sarri, the former looks to be a young replacement for Fabregas, he certainly seems to have a range of passes "in his locker".

Harsh...but accurate.  5 seasons 25 goals is pi$$ poor for an attacking midfielder at Chelsea. Fat Frank was banging in 20 per season with only half of "Wilians Talent"and only a third of his pace.....and Frank didn,t lye on the floor waiting for the free kick.......that never comes.

I grant you Wilian did have his moments,but they were few and far between imo.

• Like 1

Apologies for butting in.. but doesnt bates still own a mamoth penthse apt at one end of the ground , and heard his unwillingness to sell was a factor in not being able to redevelop the bridge..

And got a sneeking suspicion that conte leaving is partly at least down to abrama pulling the reins in with transfer money .. making it in conte's eyes  chelsea atm uncompetative..

Could be wrong on both counts, and feel free to correct me..

29 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

So whats the feeling of Chelsea fans on Conte being sacked, and on the choice of Sarri?

Probably still digesting the news BB and it looks to me Sarri's first tough job will be deflecting a huge bid for Hazard.

Harsh...but accurate.  5 seasons 25 goals is pi$$ poor for an attacking midfielder at Chelsea. Fat Frank was banging in 20 per season with only half of "Wilians Talent"and only a third of his pace.....and Frank didn,t lye on the floor waiting for the free kick.......that never comes.
I grant you Wilian did have his moments,but they were few and far between imo.

As above Keith, Willian frustrates the hell out of me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contes tenure was up as of last January when he requested confirmation from the club that he was their chosen Manager and a further year on his contract would be fullfilled.

Total silence was the answer. One can feel a little bit of sympathy for his lack of enthusiam for the remainder of the season given the lack of respect he felt he had earned.

So what's that  13 managerial appointments in 14 years ?

I guess Conte will have his lawyer seek full compensation as a matter of course.I dont believe managers of Conte's standing are totally motivated by money.As a player of some note and a manager previously of big clubs he was probably quite a wealthy man well before he joined Chelsea.

I get regularly ear bashed by a good friend who is a Chelsea long time supporter about the money Roman has put into the club,well the money is still there and has probably grown considerably if he ever wanted to get out,which I very much doubt.

CNN recently did a doco on Russian Oligarchs living in London.Roman A's wealth was conservatively estimated at $11 billion dollars so the club is hardly a drain on his resources.He apparently bought Putin a $50 m yacht recently,pocket money.

So enter Sari who has promised attacking ,exciting football ,all very well if you have the players to carry it out.

Minimum requirement would be obviously to get back in the CL,otherwise he might be on a one season journey.

Its quite normal  to have a clause, inserted by the club initially, for the departing Manager not to bad mouth the club, or any of its staff when they are sacked, so the mystery of who actually buys the players or decides who will leave Chelsea will remain.The lack of transparency must be very frustrating for those who have supported the club through the good and bad times.

• Like 2

BBC
"...Chelsea do not seem to do stability. They have made 11 managerial changes in the 14 years since Claudio Ranieri’s four-season stint at the start of the millennium, and though five titles and both major European trophies have arrived in that period, no manager has succeeded in serving for longer than the Tinkerman.

The last Chelsea manager to last five years was Dave Sexton, who took over from the equally durable Tommy Docherty..."

I was very surprised to read Ranieri is the longest serving manager of recent times; still remember the feeling of sympathy around at that time of 'dead man walking' for the thoroughly likeable excitable Tinkerman.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrTrip said:

I think that is the best example of fake news ever. It is funny though ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I liked the video disclaimer: "DISCLAIMER: Like the 'long term' contract Chelsea are about to give Maurizio Sarri, this video should not be taken seriously."

• Like 1