Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

2 hours ago, oldgit said:

That was a bit of a roller coaster!  In the first half, we produced some superb slick passing in attack but couldn't defend to save our lives, mainly due, as Keith said, to the left and right flanks being wide open to the ball into the penalty area where no one was willing to track the runner. Going into the break, the players looked tired and, at the same time, relieved that the score was 2-2.

So what does Sarri do? He doesn't tell them to ease off and play safety first, but says 'Press even higher and believe in the system, yourselves and your team mates, play the game in their half'. Great to watch the team smother Arsenal so they couldn't breathe and then the coup de grace, Hazard with Kovacic showing some classy football. Yes, this season is going to be exciting wherever it takes us, and it's going to need every member of the squad to step up when required, because it's going to test every player's endurance and stamina

That was a bit of a roller coaster!  In the first half, we produced some superb slick passing in attack but couldn't defend to save our lives, mainly due, as Keith said, to the left and right flanks being wide open to the ball into the penalty area where no one was willing to track the runner. Going into the break, the players looked tired and, at the same time, relieved that the score was 2-2.

So what does Sarri do? He doesn't tell them to ease off and play safety first, but says 'Press even higher and believe in the system, yourselves and your team mates, play the game in their half'. Great to watch the team smother Arsenal so they couldn't breathe and then the coup de grace, Hazard with Kovacic showing some classy football. Yes, this season is going to be exciting wherever it takes us, and it's going to need every member of the squad to step up when required, because it's going to test every player's endurance and stamina

"Smothered" Just about sums it up for that 2nd half....much better.

2 months before we might be the finished article,according to Sarri...could not agree more. I would be very surprised if 50% of that back 4 is around in 2 months time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldgit said:

Poxy Newcastle on Sunday. It's pay back time, as we've been on the wrong end of a few beatings at their gaff lately. That game at the end of last season was just poor. 

Remember it well,bit of a couldn,t care less performance by nearly everyone.

I expect there will be at least one change in the back 4 on Sunday...Christensen Cahill or Ampudu to come in,and maybe Hazard to start and Cho on the bench instead of Willian. At 4/6 i wont be "lumping on" but i think we should have too much for them......i hope.?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keithsimmonds said:

Remember it well,bit of a couldn,t care less performance by nearly everyone.

I expect there will be at least one change in the back 4 on Sunday...Christensen Cahill or Ampudu to come in,and maybe Hazard to start and Cho on the bench instead of Willian. At 4/6 i wont be "lumping on" but i think we should have too much for them......i hope.?

Yeah, I watched them against Cardiff last weekend, and they were dire, but at home, they seem to make it difficult for most teams. A couple of plusses for us, are that the Lejuenne and Lascelles  centre back partnership, very effective last season, won't be happening this Sunday, with Ciaran Clark lining up alongside Lascelles. There's also another demonstration being lined up against Mike Ashley, hopefully as loud  and raucous as possible.

They've got a couple of nippy forwards so, Ampudu or Christensen lining up alongside Rudiger for me. 4-6 is a joke price though Keith. Who's that, bloody Ladbrokes, the tight fisted b****rds?

Yeah, I watched them against Cardiff last weekend, and they were dire, but at home, they seem to make it difficult for most teams. A couple of plusses for us, are that the Lejuenne and Lascelles  centre back partnership, very effective last season, won't be happening this Sunday, with Ciaran Clark lining up alongside Lascelles. There's also another demonstration being lined up against Mike Ashley, hopefully as loud  and raucous as possible.

They've got a couple of nippy forwards so, Ampudu or Christensen lining up alongside Rudiger for me. 4-6 is a joke price though Keith. Who's that, bloody Ladbrokes, the tight fisted b****rds?

Believe it not Og it is Betfair.

I did hear that Werthers Original,s are paying "Rafa" more than Mike Ashley is. 

• Haha 1

Reminded me of Jose’s comments about 18th century football against West Ham some years ago but I really thought we had the creativity to be able to counter that style of play.

Also Kante is completely ineffective playing that for in front OG Jorginho imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrTrip said:

Reminded me of Jose’s comments about 18th century football against West Ham some years ago but I really thought we had the creativity to be able to counter that style of play.

Also Kante is completely ineffective playing that for in front OG Jorginho imo

In this particular game, Kante had to play in a more forward role as they were sitting so deep Mr.T! However, in much sterner tests to come, I agree that he'll be better with the play in front of him. But that brings into question Sarri's preferred formation with Jorginho the deep lying playmaker, but susceptible to pace. I would play a 4-2-3-1 away from home against stiff opposition.

It was no surprise to me that Benitez set his team up to defend, considering they were missing their best players in defence and midfield. Fernandez and Clark in defence? <deleted> me, I'd have had five players around them to protect that pair. Ki is a good player but has only joined Newcastle, while Shelvey has St. James's Park in the palm of his hand. Against teams like this, our passing has to be crisper. We hung on to the ball for too long, taking too many touches. With Hazard, you just have to let him get on with it, but the others need to collect and deliver much quicker.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kadilo said:

Getting the ball first has minimal relevance as to whether a foul has occurred. 

Just making the added point.  It didn't look like a penalty at all to me.  I just wondered what the Chelsea posters thought.

1 hour ago, carmine said:

Just making the added point.  It didn't look like a penalty at all to me.  I just wondered what the Chelsea posters thought.

The usual story of the referee only having a split second to make a decision. If I was in his position, I would have given a penalty. Messrs. Lampard. Amiobi and Souness watched the replay at least five times in slow-mo' and still couldn't agree.

• Like 1

It is early days but i cant believe how poor we are in certain situations. Dave 3 times in the opening 8 minutes abandons his right back position and trots off into the centre back position leaving acres of space behind him...that is pi**poor defending from him. Newcastle corner/freekick they have 3 players in our box....we have all 10 in ours?. It really was a painful watch especially in that 1st half.....and yes as said before Kante is wasted in that further up the field role.

This start to our season to me is no different to Conte,s 1st season 3 wins followed by a draw and 2 bad defeats,then plan A goes out the window along with Mikel Oscar and Ivan....the rest is history.

Cho Emerson Ampudu Christensen  Abrahams Moses Loftus Cheek Zappacosta...they all being saved for Thursday nights???

• Like 1

The usual story of the referee only having a split second to make a decision. If I was in his position, I would have given a penalty. Messrs. Lampard. Amiobi and Souness watched the replay at least five times in slow-mo' and still couldn't agree.

That was Jamie Rednap by the way (not Lampard)

Stone wall penalty, joking of course.

I was more concerned about the elbow in Giroud‘ Face feet from the linesman’s position

• Thanks 1

Good performance that. Always tried to be positive and on the front foot and got our rewards for persistence. We are never going to be faultless at the back (nice if we could be) but Bournemouth gave us very few problems throughout the 90+ minutes. The midfield 3 of Kante Jorghinio and Kojak looks very strong.

Well done lads,good 3 points.?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Good performance that. Always tried to be positive and on the front foot and got our rewards for persistence. We are never going to be faultless at the back (nice if we could be) but Bournemouth gave us very few problems throughout the 90+ minutes. The midfield 3 of Kante Jorghinio and Kojak looks very strong.

Well done lads,good 3 points.?

Yes,we're getting there. Not quite the donkey's b*****ks but good progress all the same. We still rely on Hazard's magic to engineer an opening as our passing isn't quite slick enough yet, players taking too many touches so allowing the defending team to organise themselves. I do like 'Kojak' though Keith. The number of times he had shots that were blocked was unreal. We saw the difference between him and Loftus -Cheek when Ruben came on. Both very good going forward but Loftus - Cheek doesn't show enough defensively. He doesn't put in a tackle, preferring to try and win/take the ball off the opposing player. Whether that was the youth coaching methodology of defending for midfielders, I don't know.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MrTrip said:

Kojakemoji33.pngemoji33.png
Didn’t someone else name the whole squad and management with his own set of pet names?

I don't think you would find that here! Someone like Bredbury Blue would be champing at the bit though!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, oldgit said:

Yes,we're getting there. Not quite the donkey's b*****ks but good progress all the same. We still rely on Hazard's magic to engineer an opening as our passing isn't quite slick enough yet, players taking too many touches so allowing the defending team to organise themselves. I do like 'Kojak' though Keith. The number of times he had shots that were blocked was unreal. We saw the difference between him and Loftus -Cheek when Ruben came on. Both very good going forward but Loftus - Cheek doesn't show enough defensively. He doesn't put in a tackle, preferring to try and win/take the ball off the opposing player. Whether that was the youth coaching methodology of defending for midfielders, I don't know.

I have seen quite a lot of our youth Teams play.....and tackling is a rarity,apart from the lad we have on loan at Wigan, Reece James ....he can tackle. 

RLC...has he got the desire and fight to make it....not sure,had a nice Little cameo in 1 game for England at the WC and a few Motm performances for Palace,but i cant see him dislodging any of the 3 amigos.

He might have a chance as back up striker though,seeing as Tammy has gone off to Villa on loan,which only leaves us with Morata and Giroud.  Speaking of Giroud he certainly made an impact when he came on yesterday......perhaps good enough to start instead of Morata ??

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, keithsimmonds said:

I have seen quite a lot of our youth Teams play.....and tackling is a rarity,apart from the lad we have on loan at Wigan, Reece James ....he can tackle. 

RLC...has he got the desire and fight to make it....not sure,had a nice Little cameo in 1 game for England at the WC and a few Motm performances for Palace,but i cant see him dislodging any of the 3 amigos.

He might have a chance as back up striker though,seeing as Tammy has gone off to Villa on loan,which only leaves us with Morata and Giroud.  Speaking of Giroud he certainly made an impact when he came on yesterday......perhaps good enough to start instead of Morata ??

I'd guess Sarri will get around to that eventually, but maybe he's in an if it ain't broke don't fix it mode. Plus, its nice to have Giroud's energy available late in matches.

Heck of a start to the season for Chelsea. I, for one, didn't expect it and thought Hazard would be in Paris or Madrid by this time.

• Like 2