How Many Cities In Thailand Have More Than 1 Million Residences

I thought population was counted by people claiming to live there officially, and that many people migrate to other provinces without changing their registration. Chiang Mai and Bangkok are good examples of that.

Pete, do you mean 'residents' or 'residences'? I suspect the metro area of Chiang Mai has a million residents (including farang), but I doubt the residences are counted, especially those without electricity.

Isn't the Khon Kaen area about the same size as Chiang Mai's urban area?

Pete, do you mean 'residents' or 'residences'? I suspect the metro area of Chiang Mai has a million residents (including farang), but I doubt the residences are counted, especially those without electricity.

Isn't the Khon Kaen area about the same size as Chiang Mai's urban area?

I was confused by the residents (people) or residences (households) aspect of the question too.

The information on the number of residences would be available- a count of the number of "tabien baans" in a district.

I would also think that Korat / Nakhon Ratchasima and Udon have high populations as well, especially when you consider the surrounding districts that rely on these centers?

Edited by bino

a count of people listed on the tabien bahn won't give you a true picture of the number of people actually living in a place. Most migrant workers do not change their names to a tabien bahn in the place where they are working.

What is really needed by the govt here is a true census, this would give a better idea of the necessary distribution of resources.

Only Bangkok, nowhere else comes close to 1 mil.

Thai city populations

Naka.

Those are some real quirky numbers they got up there. :o They appear to be way too small.

Compared to that list, we're bigger than Udon Thani (no way) and just a smidgen smaller than Korat (no way) and that the population of Chiang Mai is just over 150,000 (no way).

How the Department of Provincial Administration, Ministry of Interior, came up with them is a mystery. They seem to directly contradict the numbers put out by the other governmental entity tasked with this type of responsibility, The National Statistical Office

http://portal.nso.go.th/otherWS-world-context-root/index.jsp ,

eg. DPA pop. of Rayong 55,000, NSO pop. of Rayong = 101,000.

I think reliable statistics of this nature are extremely difficult to come by.

Edited by sriracha john