Throwing stones on the roof.

loong

Yesterday evening there was suddenly all this noise that sounded like people were throwing the tin sheets off of their roofs.

Turned out that it was something to do with getting rid of ghosts on the Buddha day.

Some monk had been round and was blessing stones that people were throwing on their roofs to ward off the ghosts.

In 16 years here, this is the first that I have heard of this and for sure, with the noise, I would have noticed.

I wonder if the monks invent these rituals as a way to make extra cash and the people simply believe them because they are monks.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Superstitions and Buddhism goes hand in hand in this country where the clergy encourage people to

believe in black magic, ghosts and evil sprits, more work and earning for them as well as more respect

as the people to go to help ward off those bad spirits.... This is Thailand, and it will be so for centuries

to come.....

We do not believe that sort of "stuff" works at all...but they do...lol....while every Thai person I have known, when asked if they believe in ghosts and spirits and or have they seen one they all claim they do, they do exist and or I have seen a ghost...as if there could be no other answer.

So then, just for fun I tell them we believe in Santa Clause and Easter Bunnies that leave magical eggs about for children to find and the one that is the most important to us Westerners is the M&M spirits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knidq8QClHw

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

Hey, if it didn't work then how come you have never seen ghosts etc on roofs? I do it to keep giant purple elephants off mine. Haven't seen hide nor hair of one up there since started doing this ritual.

We do not believe that sort of "stuff" works at all...but they do...lol....while every Thai person I have known, when asked if they believe in ghosts and spirits and or have they seen one they all claim they do, they do exist and or I have seen a ghost...as if there could be no other answer.

So then, just for fun I tell them we believe in Santa Clause and Easter Bunnies that leave magical eggs about for children to find and the one that is the most important to us Westerners is the M&M spirits.

Cheers

"we believe in Santa Clause and Easter Bunnies "

We could fill pages with things a substantial number of farangs believe in ... Big Foot, Sasquatch, UFOs, that every farang death in Thailand involves a conspiracy, etc., but more practically when it comes to magical thinking ...

A new poll out today, commissioned by BMO, found that a third of Canadians—an average of 34% of those polled across the country—say they are planning to fund their retirement by winning the lottery.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/blogs-and-comment/retirement-lottery/

And maybe less practically ...

Question: You’re having lunch with your friends and a black-and-white bird lands in your path. How do you react?

A: Say, ‘Nice birdie!’ and throw it a corner of your sandwich.

B: Shoo it away – this sandwich is mine, and some bird isn’t going to get its beak on it!

C: Gasp in horror, blow it a kiss, run to the nearest tree shouting ‘touch wood!’, spit over your left shoulder and round off the whole ritual with the words, ‘Hello Mr Magpie, how’s your wife and children?’

If your answer is C, then welcome to the UK!

Don’t be alarmed. Magpies are part of the UK’s weird and wonderful superstitions.

Superstitions and Buddhism goes hand in hand in this country where the clergy encourage people to

believe in black magic, ghosts and evil sprits, more work and earning for them as well as more respect

as the people to go to help ward off those bad spirits.... This is Thailand, and it will be so for centuries

to come.....

What about Santa Claus and Easter Bunny and Virgin Mary and Resurrection and Noah's Ark and parting of the Dead Sea and..... every religion has beliefs and superstitions.

i always got a great laught as a kid throwing stones on roofs of a night

to see the people run out yelling

i think it was better than the popes priests

knocking on doors non stop wanting money

my parents would say keep quite till they leave

as every one was poor them days

Cheers

"we believe in Santa Clause and Easter Bunnies "

We could fill pages with things a substantial number of farangs believe in ... Big Foot, Sasquatch, UFOs, that every farang death in Thailand involves a conspiracy, etc., but more practically when it comes to magical thinking ...

A new poll out today, commissioned by BMO, found that a third of Canadiansan average of 34% of those polled across the countrysay they are planning to fund their retirement by winning the lottery.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/blogs-and-comment/retirement-lottery/

And maybe less practically ...

Question: Youre having lunch with your friends and a black-and-white bird lands in your path. How do you react?

A: Say, Nice birdie! and throw it a corner of your sandwich.

B: Shoo it away this sandwich is mine, and some bird isnt going to get its beak on it!

C: Gasp in horror, blow it a kiss, run to the nearest tree shouting touch wood!, spit over your left shoulder and round off the whole ritual with the words, Hello Mr Magpie, hows your wife and children?

If your answer is C, then welcome to the UK!

Dont be alarmed. Magpies are part of the UKs weird and wonderful superstitions.

What does any of that have to do with dumb superstitions in Thailand? Nobody is claiming that the Thais have a monopoly on silly beliefs.

Bassicly all your posts are of the "I know you are but what am I?" variety. It's like your reasoning skills never advanced beyond an eight year old. Is there something wrong with your brain?

Edited by BudRight

Yes I belive in ghosts and to a certain extent black magic. I was brought up that way and I may add I bring my son up that way as well. I will not sleep in any room unless there is a budda figure in there. I will not travel in any form of transport unless I have my budda with me. We also throw a stone on roof of house every big budda day. Have I seen a ghost I don't know the answer to that who knows a ghost could be anything or anyone. I am thai that is my belief I'm not really bothered if you don't belive.

Cheers

Here is a thought for you to ponder. You dont believe in ghosts and the like but I would guess you believe in a god. Neither can be proven.

to come.....

What about Santa Claus and Easter Bunny and Virgin Mary and Resurrection and Noah's Ark and parting of the Dead Sea and..... every religion has beliefs and superstitions.

Well sure if you are suckered into believing those religious based fairy tales your whole life and actually believe God exists and the Devil exists along with the whole gamut of fairy tales originating from the Bible...and then..... people go about perpetuating those same fairy tales and impossible events and pass them on to gullible, unknowing children that actually believe what their parents tell them...along with Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.

Funny thing is, all children eventually come to realize and understand that there is no Easter Bunny and there never was a Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy did not come and replace your tooth with money rather it was all your parents doing and other adults and all in good fun to be passed on to your children, if it so pleases you to do so.

Meantime, the biggest fairy tale of all is continually perpetuated upon the masses of people to the point of ad nausea while you are more or less forced into believing the worlds oldest fairy tale while billions of otherwise sensible and logical people hold on to and protect those beliefs dearly to the day they die while they pass them on to the next generation of people who also perpetuate the myths and the fairy tales for ever more.

Yes you are correct....all over the world all too many people participate in this sort of Tomfoolery as it makes money for some while it seemingly satisfies that percent of people that harbor superstitions while the citizens of Thailand also take part but participate in such behavior the "Thai Way"

Cheers

Cheers

Here is a thought for you to ponder. You dont believe in ghosts and the like but I would guess you believe in a god. Neither can be proven.

Your guess would be wrong ...as in 100 % wrong.

I feel fortunate that my mind is not cluttered up with religious based beliefs while I am absolutely convinced there is no God.

I figured it out at a very early age and fortunately for me religion and the belief in God was not forced upon me by my parents or anyone else during my childhood and or my life time.... so far.

But I did believe in Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy until I was around 10 years old and then I was suspicious and finally realized all those amusing characters were the work of adults doing their part to entertain and humor their children....all in good fun.

Cheers

Cheers

I feel fortunate that my mind is not cluttered up with religious based beliefs while I am absolutely convinced there is no God.

I figured it out at a very early age and fortunately for me religion and the belief in God was not forced upon me by my parents or anyone else during my childhood and or my life time.... so far.

But I did believe in Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy until I was around 10 years old and then I was suspicious and finally realized all those amusing characters were the work of adults doing their part to entertain and humor their children....all in good fun.

Cheers

goodness me come home look at tv see this. Please you have your belfes or in your case non beliefs that's fine I'm all for free speach/thoughts. But this thread is about thai beliefs in ghosts and black magic not a god or no god debate as Thais don't belive in God so the question /statement you are making is irrelevant yes.

cheers

Yes I belive in ghosts and to a certain extent black magic. I was brought up that way and I may add I bring my son up that way as well. I will not sleep in any room unless there is a budda figure in there. I will not travel in any form of transport unless I have my budda with me. We also throw a stone on roof of house every big budda day. Have I seen a ghost I don't know the answer to that who knows a ghost could be anything or anyone. I am thai that is my belief I'm not really bothered if you don't belive.

you live in the 21st century and think like the 1600's passing this nonsense on to your kids makes you a pretty poor parent. No evidence for either , you are totally irrational and seem proud to "pass on" the nonsense, Id actually call it "child abuse"
I am a very good parent thank you do I insult you or your belfes No I am not irrational I do not live in another century I am proud to pass on what has been passed on for generations in my family.

so maybe you are or were a poor parent because you did not interact or pass on traditions to your children. Maybe that's why you live in my country. Please enjoy staying here and I hope no ghosts bother you

As for your assumptions about child abuse what can I say total rubish but I wonder !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by jeab1980

Cheers

Cheers

goodness me come home look at tv see this. Please you have your belfes or in your case non beliefs that's fine I'm all for free speach/thoughts. But this thread is about thai beliefs in ghosts and black magic not a god or no god debate as Thais don't belive in God so the question /statement you are making is irrelevant yes.

cheers

All bundled up and put into the same box my friend.

Peoples silly beliefs in a long list of "things" that do not exist and commonly born from religious based doctrine and practiced religious based beliefs and all the variations there of and practiced world wide.

I agree ...if people want to believe in such nonsense and that makes them happy or what ever it does for them then I am not denying them their beliefs or their practices, rather they can fill their boots full of it if that is what they enjoy or need or desire in life or what they have practiced their whole life as a matter of routine.

Meantime, the fact that all Thai people believe that ghosts and spirits exist and black magic is often practiced while all of this plays an important part in their character and personalities and their collective mentality is just one more interesting and amusing aspect of living in Thailand while most ( as in Most ) foreigners go along with it and enjoy the superstitious beliefs and superstitious practices as just one more entertaining and or interesting aspect of living in Thailand.

Those Thai people?...Well..... Sometimes they crack me up...They really do....lol

Cheers

I read the Bible.

It says a virgin who was married yet somehow still a virgin gave birth to the son of God who is somehow still God.

You pay him respects by going to church and pretend to eat his flesh and drink his

Blood and declare him your Savior.

He raised the dead and walked on water and rose from the dead himself.

Their followers claim thais are backwards

I read the Bible.

It says a virgin who was married yet somehow still a virgin gave birth to the son of God who is somehow still God.

You pay him respects by going to church and pretend to eat his flesh and drink his

No they are equally NUTS

you live in the 21st century and think like the 1600's passing this nonsense on to your kids makes you a pretty poor parent. No evidence for either , you are totally irrational and seem proud to "pass on" the nonsense, Id actually call it "child abuse"
I am a very good parent thank you do I insult you or your belfes No I am not irrational I do not live in another century I am proud to pass on what has been passed on for generations in my family.

so maybe you are or were a poor parent because you did not interact or pass on traditions to your children. Maybe that's why you live in my country. Please enjoy staying here and I hope no ghosts bother you

As for your assumptions about child abuse what can I say total rubish but I wonder !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So it s ok to pass on nonsense with no evidence? Rubbish, seems your the one spouting it in fact telling at as a 100% truth to your offspring, if that isnt rubbish I dont know what is.

"belief without evidence" ridiculous

As ghosts dont exist Im sure I will not be in the slightest bit bothered of course Ill be happy to see your evidence they do?

again in your opinion but you shoot yourself in foot be life without evidence is ridiculous you say then you say As ghost don't exist I'm sure EVIDENCE of non existence please. Oh and I pass on my families beliefs to my son and I hope he will pass this on to his children. You say nonsense passed on how do you know it's nonsense? ???because YOU belive it to be so .

Typical of the superstitious Thais.. They still live in the 12th century and belong in the dark ages...

Interesting comment.

What do you know of the Bronze age mythology, written before people knew where the sun went at night ,and believed in by millions of westerners?

It's full of spirits, magic, and outrageous lies.

Millions have been killed, tortured, oppressed and exploited as a result of this superstition.

They call it Christianity.

It's so typical of westerners!

You seem like a reasonable guy, so i want to ask you a few of questions:

1 - Have you seen ghost to the extent that it can be proved?

2 - If not, are you not just lying to your son?

3 - Is lying to children good?

4 - is it possible the many generation of your family were wrong?

5 - Given Buddha was a man(not a god) in whose name to the monks bless these rocks?

6 - Who do Buddhists pray too?

to come.....

Every religion is a superstition.

Buddhism is a religion for many,

but it is only a philosophy for many others.

You seem like a reasonable guy, so i want to ask you a few of questions:

1 - Have you seen ghost to the extent that it can be proved?

2 - If not, are you not just lying to your son?

3 - Is lying to children good?

4 - is it possible the many generation of your family were wrong?

5 - Given Buddha was a man(not a god) in whose name to the monks bless these rocks?

6 - Who do Buddhists pray too?

firstly I am not a man

secondly I will not answer your questions as there is no point (oh I hear the cry see cannot answer must be wrong.

I am who I am with my beliefs and proud of my families history.

Cheers

Isn't the most popular god on earth a ghost or a spirit?

Someone who died, but isn't dead?

Someone who is everywhere, but can't be seen anywhere?

It's all rubbish.

Superstitions used to control the masses and make a select few very wealthy.

and tax exempt as well.

Good work if you can get it!cheesy.gif

firstly I am not a man
secondly I will not answer your questions as there is no point (oh I hear the cry see cannot answer must be wrong.
I am who I am with my beliefs and proud of my families history.

Apologies, not sure why I thought you were a man....

Why would you post on a forum and then refuse to answer? I genuinely would like to know the answers and enjoy the exchange of information, I am happy to answer anything you want. But when you post about religion in a public forum you need to be prepared for people to question you.

The problem I find with most if not all religions is the response you have provided is very typical, I ask you some simple questions and you get defensive and refuse to answer,,,,why? I am not saying you are wrong, I am trying to understand more of the world.

Ps. You can be proud of your families history while still acknowledging they were wrong about somethings and their knowledge isn't infallible.

I read the Bible.

No they are equally NUTS

No, not equally!

Things like throwing stones on the roof are harmless compared to all of the suffering, death,and destruction caused by Christians, Jews and Muslims in the name of the spirit they worship....and all three worship the same "spirit"..