Ken Loach’s ‘I, Daniel Blake’ wins the Palme d’Or at Cannes

webfact

Ken Loach’s ‘I, Daniel Blake’ wins the Palme d’Or at Cannes

606x341_333421.jpg

CANNES: -- Britain’s Ken Loach has taken the Palme d’Or at Cannes for ‘I, Daniel Blake’.

It is the 79-year-old director’s second Best Picture award at the French film festival. In 2006, he won with The Wind That Shakes the Barley.

His latest work looks at the UK welfare system and its impact on a widower after suffering a heart attack.

Canadian director Xavier Dolan scooped one of the festival’s other top prizes, the Grand Prix, for’‘Just la Fin du Monde’‘ (Just the End of the World), while Iranian film Forushande (the Salesman) took best screenplay and best actor, won by Shahab Hosseini.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-05-23

That guy has produced some great stuff over the years------started off with Z cars then moved into the more controversial stuff.

Cathy Come Home" and Poor Cow whose impact was so massive that it led directly to a change in the homeless laws in Britain .

A lot of his TV work during the Thatcher years was never broadcast (most notoriously, his documentaries on the 1984 miners' strike)

Unlike virtually all his contemporaries, Ken Loach has never given in to the call of Hollywood,

He produced "Kes" --although made in 1969 is regarded as one of the finest films ever made in Britain.

The Movie he got the latest award for -"I, Daniel Blake" centres around the British welfare system (or lack of it) The film tells the story of the Daniel Blake, who had always worked & never been on welfare in his life , after having a heart attack. Then being released from hospital he failed the assessment test Amazingly many people often don’t pass the assessment for the benefit until their second attempt, this includes some solders returning from fighting with a limb missing, so they are left struggling without money for months in the interim.

Roach said "There is a conscious cruelty in the way we're organising our lives now, where the most vulnerable people are told that their poverty is their own fault. If you have no work, it's your fault you haven't got a job." “It bears down on those least able to bear it. The bureaucratic inefficiency is vindictive and hunger is being used as a weapon. People are being forced to look for work that doesn’t exist.”

Cathy come home and Kes were both excellent.......

Kes with proper English spoken. I think a lot of people will identify with i Daniel Blake. My dad had to stop work when I was 15. A massive heart attack and 2 strokes. A constant battle with SS. Gain a quid here, have it taken back from some other benefit. Only got a decent amount when Alzheimer's was diagnosed.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk