Phuket Vs Farangland in price

Walkabout Man

Ok, I am not sure if this has been done before, but I reckon Phuket is about half the price of Australia. But in saying that. Not all things are cheaper, and some things are more expensive

Here is a few examples:

Second hand cars, absolute rip off in Phuket, yet scooters and motorbikes are half the price. (Excluding Harley Davidsons)

Baby clothes, much cheaper at Kmart, Big W or Target in Australia

Wine is insanely more expensive than Australia

Going to a gym in Phuket for a one off is about twice the price of Australia

Food is generally cheaper, except for imported stuff

Boat engines and boat parts are crazy prices, except when you are having a boat slipped it seems to be good value

Id like to know what everyone else finds more expensive and cheaper and the reasons behind it. Because some doesnt make sense to me

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you should not only compare the prices. If you compare prices, quality and service together Thailand looks not really cheaper. I cannot see any real bargain here. You get what you pay for....

Wine and cheese are expensive in Thailand, not just on Phuket, but other alcohol, Eg. beer, is quite cheap.

As ande47 says, you should try to compare "like for like" goods and services for a comparison.

There was a recent thread about the price of a Big Mac in Patong, compared to McDonald's elsewhere in Thailand.

Thinking of a "like for like" comparison, cinema tickets are good value here.

Edited by NamKangMan

Had to sell my 2001 Jeep Cherokee in perfect condition for 60,000 Baht in the US before moving here. Easy sell at 500,000 here.

Baby clothes at BigC or Lotus can be as low as 79 Baht/piece, and they will only wear them for a few months, so quality is mute.

Gym: Why bother. Just do the Marine Corps 7, and run a few miles. Money in the bank. Same result (unless you're a roid ranger)

Agree on movie ticket prices.

Edited by Shot

Right of the top, I spend 17,000b ($500USD) a month for an elevated 2bed/2ba house 5 minutes from a world class beach. The TG does all the shopping for inexpensive groceries at the local fresh market. I drink Sangsom and Singha. I socialize at bars that charge $2 a beer.

You know what is expensive and find ways around it.

If I was living in the San Francisco Bay Area, where I'm from, $500 wouldn't get me someone's garage for the month.

Thailand is a great bargain and TGs biggrin.png

Labor. Outrageous. Mechanics in the U.S., I'm like, "man, I need you to change out the power steering and A/C belts, I don't need a lobotomy", seriously, brain surgeon rates for engine work.

Drinks in a bar. My Sangsom-soda lime twist (depending if ladybar or just the local pub) 55-85thb ( that's around US1.50-2.50), Bacardi gold rum and soda in the U.S. 350thb and THEN a tip.

You could play the game of, this is cheaper here, that is cheaper there, all day long, but I have found that, for me, general living in Phuket averages out at about 1/3 of what it does Australia. I actually listed all my final year expenses in Australia, including such things as lawn mowing, internet, water rates, shire rates, satellite tv, electricity, gas, rubbish collection, etc., etc.

There were many times when I spent more than what came in.

As a retiree here on private income streams I now feel quite rich, and don't worry about the price of anything, with the possible exception of good Aussie wine! I've yet to pick up coins from a restaurant table and don't readily know coin denominations by sight.

If ever I get concerned about money, I remind myself that my pool villa here cost about AUD $310,000 less than I sold my crappier place for in Australia. That's a lot of money to prop up the rest of my life with!

Edited by Old Croc

Phuket is rip off city....and for good reason.....most folks have it on their radar, so the locals charge the higher rate.....and why not? There is a good reason I avoid the spot and live on the cheap without comparing prices, pointless and not in my best interests. ?

Phuket is rip off city....and for good reason.....most folks have it on their radar, so the locals charge the higher rate.....and why not? There is a good reason I avoid the spot and live on the cheap without comparing prices, pointless and not in my best interests. ?

What city?

All this bitterness toward Phuket, tch. Everytime I go anywhere in Thailand, I can't wait to get back here. It's a little more expensive for a reason. It's a better place to live.

All you keeneo whiners...please stay in your little backwater dumps. You were here for a week and didn't like it. Thanks for the input.

Wine and cheese are expensive in Thailand, not just on Phuket, but other alcohol, Eg. beer, is quite cheap.

As ande47 says, you should try to compare "like for like" goods and services for a comparison.

There was a recent thread about the price of a Big Mac in Patong, compared to McDonald's elsewhere in Thailand.

On a recent visit to Pattaya, I was surprised to find quite reasonable Aussie red wine selling for half the price it costs in Chiang Mai.

A glass of red in a restaurant was 60baht, a 2 litre bottle of red in the condo shop was 385baht. It's double the cost here in Chiang Mai!!

Cheese is expensive everywhere, but MAKRO has a good range and cheaper than most.

I live in lower Sukhumvit and have a friend who visits Thailand annually.

He was in Valencia, Spain on holiday recently, he maintains that many things are much cheaper there than in Bangkok.

Another friend says he can buy clothes more cheaply in Ireland than Thailand.

I agree with the OP that it is hard to see how some prices can be justified.

But I don't find the big difference is between Thailand and homeland but between tourist and non-tourist areas.

I saw chicken fried rice in a very ordinary Patong restaurant for 250 baht when a couple of blocks away it was 50 baht.

But Thailand is a market economy and people will ask what the market will bear. If someone can get 250 for a plate of rice from a tourist then good luck to them but they won't get it from me.

The real danger for the Thai economy is that they will price themselves out of the market. Anyone, checked out Sri Lanka lately? European tourism there has boomed since the end of the civil war. It is fast catching up to Phuket. Thailand had better watch out.

Overall I live a comfortable but not extravagant standard for about 2/3 of what it would cost me in Australia. I just wish the wine was cheaper.

Edited by ironbark

Phuket is an overpriced Tourist Trap ripoff. Was there for a week this year and found nothing that wasn't extremely overpriced.

This thread is about comparisons for expats living in Phuket and their former western country homes.(what the OP quaintly calls farangland). Not various parts of Thailand.

Phuket is a Province containing a number of cities and large towns We expats live all over the Province in various levels of accommodation and lifestyle, according to our want and needs. Some, but not a huge percentage, choose to live in the tourist towns, like Patong, for business reasons, or just because they prefer the life there.

Very few of us live like tourists, instead we shop in markets, Foodland, and Tesco's, etc., just like expats all over Thailand.

Of course, many prices are higher here than in north-east Issan, but not that much higher. It's the price we pay for living in the best part of the country. We are able to afford it because we perhaps made better life choices than some others and don't have to live hand to mouth in an already very cheap country.

Edited by Old Croc

This thread is about comparisons for expats living in Phuket and their former western country homes.(what the OP quaintly calls farangland). Not various parts of Thailand.

Phuket is a Province containing a number of cities and large towns We expats live all over the Province in various levels of accommodation and lifestyle, according to our want and needs. Some, but not a huge percentage, choose to live in the tourist towns, like Patong, for business reasons, or just because they prefer the life there.

Very few of us live like tourists, instead we shop in markets, Foodland, and Tesco's, etc., just like expats all over Thailand.

Of course, many prices are higher here than in north-east Issan, but not that much higher. It's the price we pay for living in the best part of the country. We are able to afford it because we perhaps made better life choices than some others and don't have to live hand to mouth in an already very cheap country.

At last a sensible post. For sure everything is more expensive in tourist areas - compared to the rest of Thailand.

But compared to most 'Western' style places almost everything is cheaper. Except cars (new or second hand), quality wine, imported items attracting a big tax.

Phuket is an overpriced Tourist Trap ripoff. Was there for a week this year and found nothing that wasn't extremely overpriced.

Phuket is rip off city....and for good reason.....most folks have it on their radar, so the locals charge the higher rate.....and why not? There is a good reason I avoid the spot and live on the cheap without comparing prices, pointless and not in my best interests.

Good points all. I'll clarify my answer. Patong is an overpriced tourist trap.

At last a sensible post. For sure everything is more expensive in tourist areas - compared to the rest of Thailand.

But compared to most 'Western' style places almost everything is cheaper. Except cars (new or second hand), quality wine, imported items attracting a big tax.

While I concur that Old Croc's post was great and sensible, I can speak from the experience of extensive travel around The Kingdom the past few years...Patong is far and away the most expensive tourist destination I've visited here...including, but not limited to, Koh Samet and Koh Chang.

Also, while Thailand used to be cheaper for nearly everything, this is NOT really the case here these days with restaurants, electronics, household appliances, toiletries (and real estate in the major cities). Can't speak for all of "Farangland", (nor all of Thailand) but alot can be bought/had cheaper in the USA.

On a recent visit to Pattaya, I was surprised to find quite reasonable Aussie red wine selling for half the price it costs in Chiang Mai.

A glass of red in a restaurant was 60baht, a 2 litre bottle of red in the condo shop was 385baht. It's double the cost here in Chiang Mai!!

Cheese is expensive everywhere, but MAKRO has a good range and cheaper than most.

What was the name of the 2 litre bottle of wine selling for 385 baht?

Depends upon whence you came. Local and imported beer is much more expensive here than in the states and that includes European beer. Although I have not been back in about 10 years, my stateside buddies still can get a draft of local beer in a local pub for less than a dollar (B35) and my favorite German beer, Veltins, is still only about $3.50/bottle (B120) in my old local.

Comparing like for like goods is called Purchasing Power Parity and is a major method for comparing living costs. There are numerous websites dedicated to providing that information; simply compare like costs in two different cities or countries.

Most labor-intensive items are cheaper here; compare barbers, beauticians, massages are cheaper here in Thailand. The services of skilled tradesmen--carpenters, masons, plumbers, welders, concrete workers, etc., all cheaper here.

Rents are far cheaper here, which makes purchasing property here even more of a bad deal.

Indeed, it depends upon what you're talking.

I have experienced some really stupid

And pointless expressions since being

In Thailand...."FARANGLAND". Being

The dumbest and most pointless....Are

You talking about: The US, Canada,

UK, France, what part do Europe, oh

Maybe Australia??? Dumb Expression!!

Uhhhh...pretty sure it's meant as a cutesy shortcut to relate to all of us and our respective homelands, without having to waste time making an exhaustive list every time. I kinda like it!

"Some, but not a huge percentage, choose to live in the tourist towns, like Patong" - the question is, can you define "tourist towns?"

For some, a "tourists town" is Patong, whilst Rawai is not a "tourist town." For others, the greater province of "Phuket" is a tourist town, whilst Udon Thani is not.

I live in Patong and shop at Big C in Jungceylon. I've never compared, but are my groceries from Big C Patong dearer than the same groceries bought in a Big C anywhere else in Thailand?

"It's the price we pay for living in the best part of the country." - this is your opinion, and is debatable. Many would disagree Phuket is "the best part of the country."

Once again, if you are living ANYWHERE on Phuket, are you not living in a "tourist area?"

"imported items attracting a big tax" - from my observations, basically, everything desired by foreigners in Thailand is highly taxed.

Some of it is to protect local manufacturers, cars being an example, as Thailand manufacturers cars. However, some of it is simply a money grab, wine being an example, as Thailand's wine manufacturing is negligible to warrant such high taxes in order to protect such a small industry here.

Phuket is rip off city....and for good reason.....most folks have it on their radar, so the locals charge the higher rate.....and why not? There is a good reason I avoid the spot and live on the cheap without comparing prices, pointless and not in my best interests.

"Some, but not a huge percentage, choose to live in the tourist towns, like Patong" - the question is, can you define "tourist towns?"

For some, a "tourists town" is Patong, whilst Rawai is not a "tourist town." For others, the greater province of "Phuket" is a tourist town, whilst Udon Thani is not.

I live in Patong and shop at Big C in Jungceylon. I've never compared, but are my groceries from Big C Patong dearer than the same groceries bought in a Big C anywhere else in Thailand?

"It's the price we pay for living in the best part of the country." - this is your opinion, and is debatable. Many would disagree Phuket is "the best part of the country."

I'm with ya there! I'm one who certainly disagrees!

This site has been used on the forum a number of times over the years. I've done a COL comparison between Phuket and my home town.

Try your home town.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=Australia&city1=Phuket&city2=Perth

For me, it's cheaper here, but as mentioned, you need to compare "like for like" goods and services.

If you like to drive a BMW, for example, you may find they are more expensive here than back home, due to higher taxes, so, you buy a Toyota. It may have very little to do with whether you live in a "tourist town" or not, because for the BMW, anywhere in Thailand, you may have to pay more than back home.

So, another question is, do we adjust our lifestyles more towards living like a Thai, in Thailand, and buy the Toyota, or do we pay the higher money for the fully imported items and live like we did back home. If so, you may find prices are considerably more expensive here than back home for the same goods and services.

When I say "like for like goods and services" - I am also talking about goods and services that we all "like" from our various home countries.