Nationwide Flex Card - For Larger Amounts - Swipe Card In Thai Bank

Yet another Nationwide Flex Post...

Reviewing some past posts, a few people have mentioned that an effective way to transfer large amounts of cash from a Nationwide Flex Account into a Thai Bank account or cash, is to visit a Thai bank and have them swipe the card on a Visa machine. I have never done this and have a few questions on this :

* Am I right in thinking this is just like an ATM withdrawl, except that I can be for a far larger amount - there are no charges at the Nationwide end, in the Thai bank or inbetween ?

* When you go into the Thai bank how do you request and explain you would like to do this ? Is there a description that most Thais would understand ? I assume that most people go to a larger branch or head office, where there is a better understanding of english - if anyone can provide thai words for this, so much the better.

* Is it only possible to have the money transferred into a bank account with the Thai bank or could you receive the cash ?

* Most people mention doing this in Bangkok Bank. Has anyone done this in Kasikorn bank ? If so what did you ask, was it free of charge and which branch did you use ?

* When a transation is done, are you provided with just a standard receipt ?

* Is it possible to have a receipt that states what the money transfer is for ? ie like on a SWIFT transfer and is necessary.

* Another poster mentions, transferring over 600K baht. If it was a large amount like that would the Nationwide start asking questions ?

This seems to be a very good and cheap way of getting larger amounts into Thailand. You can choose the timing to take advantage of favorable exchange rates (but you have to be in Thailand)

Look forward to hear from you

PS

Briley on another thread mentions doing this :

"BUT when I made a withdrawal inside Bangkok Bank (they used their little visa machine) and then imediately at the ATM outside the rates did vary - not much but a few decimal points. My gut feeling is that inside the bank I got todays rate, but the ATM gave me tomorrows rate."

Yet another Nationwide Flex Post...

Reviewing some past posts, a few people have mentioned that an effective way to transfer large amounts of cash from a Nationwide Flex Account into a Thai Bank account or cash, is to visit a Thai bank and have them swipe the card on a Visa machine. I have never done this and have a few questions on this :

* Am I right in thinking this is just like an ATM withdrawl, except that I can be for a far larger amount - there are no charges at the Nationwide end, in the Thai bank or inbetween ?

No charges at Nationwide, just same as ATM withdrawal

* When you go into the Thai bank how do you request and explain you would like to do this ? Is there a description that most Thais would understand ? I assume that most people go to a larger branch or head office, where there is a better understanding of english - if anyone can provide thai words for this, so much the better.

Difficult one: The first time I said ATM machine has a limit and I want more, lucky I got a good english speaker who did the swipe. Second time I just pointed to the swipe machine.

* Is it only possible to have the money transferred into a bank account with the Thai bank or could you receive the cash ?

Only done to bank account

* Most people mention doing this in Bangkok Bank. Has anyone done this in Kasikorn bank ? If so what did you ask, was it free of charge and which branch did you use ?

Sorry SCB

* When a transation is done, are you provided with just a standard receipt ?

Yes.

* Is it possible to have a receipt that states what the money transfer is for ? ie like on a SWIFT transfer and is necessary.

I tried to ask if this could qualify as international transfer to assist immigration, they said NO

* Another poster mentions, transferring over 600K baht. If it was a large amount like that would the Nationwide start asking questions ?

I only transferred 1,000 quid +

This seems to be a very good and cheap way of getting larger amounts into Thailand. You can choose the timing to take advantage of favorable exchange rates (but you have to be in Thailand)

Look forward to hear from you

PS

Briley on another thread mentions doing this :

"BUT when I made a withdrawal inside Bangkok Bank (they used their little visa machine) and then imediately at the ATM outside the rates did vary - not much but a few decimal points. My gut feeling is that inside the bank I got todays rate, but the ATM gave me tomorrows rate."

Thanks jflundy

So SCB didnt make a charge for you to receive the cash into a SCB bank account ? I just want to check as i know with an international transfer there can be a charge - something like 200 baht with kasikorn bank. And there wasnt any intermediaries as it would have come from the VISA system - not like a bank transfer where there are certain routes for money to go and preferred relationships between different banks in 2 countries.