Your greatest Journey,or one you would like to do

Walked 1 kilometer to 7/11 to get a bottle of Lao Khao and some mixers. Ended up drinking it with one of the female staff who was just finishing her shift and sleeping with her in my room. Luckily she had a motorcycle so didn't have to walk the 1k back.

I hitch-hiked back and forth across the USA back when I was much younger than I am today. That was more interesting than getting the train across.

I went to the Philippines once, to watch the Calcutta Cup

A train journey many years ago through the English tunnel from London to Paris with the plan to watch Tennis at Roland Garros. We were a party of 4, an elderly ladyfriend of my girlfriend who liked to act as her governance and her male acuaintant (not her boyfriend). My girlfriend's 'governance' booked a hotel for one night for all of us and I found myself with that man in a twin bedroom. As I had no intention to spend the night with that guy, I grabbed my girlfriend for going out with her for exploring Paris.

We found a nice little hotel so we could explore the town in the way one should do it in the town of l'amour. We just made it back to the booked hotel for breakfast with the other two. It turned out to be a rather quiet breakfast. I was so tired that -when we finally made it to Roland Garros- I fell asleep and ended up on the shoulder of a total male stranger next to me. I had no Idea who won the match, but I enjoyed the trip immensely.

Toward the Unknown Region:

Darest thou now, O Soul,
Walk out with me toward the Unknown Region,
Where neither ground is for the feet, nor any path to follow?

No map, there, nor guide,
Nor voice sounding, nor touch of human hand,
Nor face with blooming flesh, nor lips, nor eyes, are in that land.

I know it not, O Soul;
Nor dost thou--all is a blank before us;
All waits, undreamed of, in that region--that inaccessible land.

Till, when the ties loosen, 10
All but the ties eternal, Time and Space,
Nor darkness, gravitation, sense, nor any bounds, bound us.

Then we burst forth--we float,
In Time and Space, O Soul--prepared for them;
Equal, equipped at last--(O joy! O fruit of all!) them to fulfill, O
Soul.

Walt Whitman

I would like to take the train from Parish to Athens with your beautiful Norwegian girlfriend and do a lot of deleting too tongue.png

I assume your GF is an editor, and my writing can use a lot of help.

Hiked in Nepal for nine days in 1978 when I was 24. Actually only walked for seven days and soaked in hot springs (at Tatapani, which means hot water) for two days. The public pool had a ring of soap scum. I went down to the river bank and found two boulders leaning together. There was a pool of water right at the water's edge with a trickle of hot water and the glacier-fed river rushing by. Someone had been there before me and piled rocks up at the water's edge. I regulated the temperature by throwing sand on the rocks, or letting it wash off. Soaked for five hours and read a novel undisturbed the first day.

Runner up would have to be hitchhiking from St. Louis to LA as a 21 year-old in 1976. Great trip, made 2000 miles in three days, met some cool people, and a couple not-so-cool.

Trip to do? I am booked for a two-week mountain biking trip in Mongolia next month. Been talking about it for years and finally decided to fork over the dough and do it.

Crewing a friends 46 foot ketch back from the Tenerife to Falmouth via the Azores, Madeira, Spain & France with three others many moons ago.

At the moment I'd like to go on My BMW bike overland from Thailand to India & back when they've finalised opening the route as they're threatening to do....

Life is the journey. I've traveled all my life--all continents except Antarctica and many of the Pacific islands. I've stopped for a few years in several places to go to school, or work, or just hang-out. It's time to continue that journey.

What a nice positive thread.

I have been a traveller since I was 15. Many wonderful journeys, particularly on the trains in UK and Europe. In ten years from 1960 I visited most towns and cities in the UK and most of the Island groups including Scotland and Ireland. Many fond memories of the things I saw, the experiences I had and the people I met.

One journey on our honeymoon, we went by train and ferry from London to Malaga - complete disaster due to the French rail strike in September 1969. it's the stuff of a lengthy story too long for this forum.

And another disaster on a combined trip of a plane journey to Morocco combined with a cruise in the Mediterranean - with Clarksons - remember them?

When you travel a lot there will be the good, the bad and the ugly but I wouldn't change anything.

I've had many memorable journeys but one that I often think about is a trip I did years ago.. We drove from Vancouver to Mexico along Highway 1 along the west coast of the US... spectacular scenery..redwood forests & ocean views... We crossed over to Arizona through Yuma and down into Mexico ..crossing the border at Nogalez.. down to Mazatlan ..then up to Guadalhara and into the high mountains of Zakatekas... so many great experiences along the way! Very luck to have done it when we did... very dangerous down there these days I think...

2003, played golf in the British Senior Amateur at Blairgowrie and played many of the iconic golf courses such as the Old Course at St.Andrews. Before that, played in Canada at courses such as Banff, Kananaskis and Gallagher's Canyon in the midst of stunning scenery. My other interests are the cuisine and architecture of the various places I have been. New Orleans sticks out for its combination of Cajun and Creole food. Madrid for the Prado museum. During my working life, fortunate to live in a time when company travel to conferences and related businesses was not completely interdicted by the bean counters.

I'm a bit bemused by posters who claim to have had a wonderful time getting smashed with alcohol - how would one remember?

Edited by bazza40

I want to get out of Thailand's heat next year during April and May for 6 weeks. Portugal and Spain seem to be the perfect trip. Great food, sights and relatively reasonably priced.

I'll let you know.

I want to get out of Thailand's heat next year during April and May for 6 weeks. Portugal and Spain seem to be the perfect trip. Great food, sights and relatively reasonably priced.

I'll let you know.

I am going through the same thought process

I was going to start the post off by saying----I pretty sure that I have been to a country no one else on here has----so I Goggled it to make sure of the spelling and they now have a mini tourist blog----unbelievable, you can stay in a cabin there for there for up to 4 days, in between supply ships.

Anyway--Pitcairn Island Home to the "Mutiny on the Bounty" about 40+ people living there now, I was a merchant seaman living/shipping out of Sweden in the 60s, picked up a British ship going to New Zealand they had some RAF boffin's on board with a lots of equipment to record the French nuclear bomb tests being done on Mururoa atoll about 1,200 kilometres from Tahiti. Usually Long boats just come out and supplies are lowered down onto them---but because of amount of RAF equipment we had to go onto the island to help them.

They were going to pick them back up on their way back to the UK 10 weeks latter---but I decided I liked NZ so I got off & stayed there for some years.

Got the chance to accompany a French friend of mine, who is a French wine importer in Auckland, on a trip to his suppliers in France.

Flew from NZ, via Bangkok to Paris and started the journey there, heading to the Loire and spending a couple of nights there, before dropping down to Bordeaux and sampling some phenomenal wines from the major chateaux, most of these done with private tastings because they were suppliers to my French wine merchant friend and it was great to be able to get face-to-face to these guys and ask questions, and of course get a personal tour of the winery, and this carried on throughout the whole trip.

From Bordeaux headed down to the Languedoc and then down to Marseille, before heading north up through the Rhône Valley and eventually to the Burgundy area and arriving back in Paris after about 25 days. Tasted some fabulous wines, met some great people and sampled some wonderful food, putting on just under 4 kg in the process (not too happy about that)!!!!

To make the journey even more special, I then flew to the UK to catch up with my old mum and was able to spend time fixing up her little apartment for her, cleaning it, buying new appliances and so on and also taking her out for little trips, lunch and dinners, and we got to have lots of good chats, something we had never done in the past because of one thing and another and it was a really good feeling.

As for something I would like to do – – well I would like to take a trip to look at Panama, and quite possibly stop off in Spain on the way over, because it's a place I've always liked and it would be a great journey breaker.

I sailed across the South Pacific on a buddies sailboat. Blue water cruising is like car camping

with a wet ass. Certainly not for everyone, but absolutely beautiful night skies, islands, and

swimming. I would love to do it again. thumbsup.gif

Greatest Journey..?

Actually two...

...On donkey, via the ancient graver's path through so-called "Nobleman's Graves" area, and over the mountain to Valley of the Kings, Luxor, Egypt, 1982...

...With landrover through the desert from Nouakchott to Akjoujt for a more than 7 minutes long Total Solar Eclipse, the longest until 2150, Mauritania 1973...smile.png

One I would like to do..?

Actually three...
Angkor Wat, Bhutan, and Xi'an's terracotta army...rolleyes.gif

I sailed across the South Pacific on a buddies sailboat. Blue water cruising is like car camping

with a wet ass. Certainly not for everyone, but absolutely beautiful night skies, islands, and

swimming. I would love to do it again. thumbsup.gif

Wow I have never fancied the sail-boat life Ulic, when I lived in NZ I would do that Island run on a cargo ship....Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Pago-Pago...etc from Auckland it took us 2 weeks, sometimes when the weather was bad, I would see a yacht on the way there, all sails down waiting it out. On the way back it was nearly in the same position.

In the 60s-70s before all the GPS etc there were so many amateurs trying to live their dream ---retire--buy yacht----travel the world. Most could even not read a sextant , let alone navigate a course. Meet a guy in Pago-Pago (American Samoa) stuck there after he had argued with his navigator who had brought him from Hawaii , I asked how he had first got from LA to Hawaii, he said he had just set out and looked up at the Airline trails in the sky every day ----amazing, often wondered years latter if he was still alive.

Edited by oxo1947