New type of delay at Suvarnabhumi Airport

Seems like I discover a new way to be delayed each time I pass through Suvarnabhumi Airport....last night on my return from Seoul, Korea had the Premium Pass and sailed through immigration, set my sights on the luggage merry-go-round and BINGO....no bags.....the weather was so bad they could not off load the aircraft...? My poor driver was waiting for a good two hours for me to make a show at Door Number 4...long over two hour ride back to Pattaya in the rain.....and back in my cozy bed in the wee hours of the morning....just a little worse for wear....nothing is ever simple when doing the LOS adventure....sorry to say.....?

post-53398-0-87794600-1465358696_thumb.j

There was a case that the ground handling staff was struck by lightning and deceased so when it has thunderstorm or detect the signal for lightning in airport area or nearby, all activities on ground shall be stopped.

Edited by joy16

I have had numerous occasions to compare the relative delay for getting my luggage on the belt between Suwa and a few European airports and Suwa wins hands down almost every time.

I have other gripes about Suwa, but baggage delivery isn't one of them.

As others have said it doesn't only happen here, we were caught in a storm at Schiphol when travelling to London last year, they didn't even load the baggage but neither did they tell us, our bags were delivered to our hotel four days later.

Whilst we were somewhat inconvenienced, learning that one of the airports ground crew lost his life during that storm rather put it into perspective.

It is not a new type of delay. 8d0a72e08bd3316e36edf510fe0ec900.jpgLoading/offloading operations are suspended during severe weather with lightning. Friend in BKK was commenting on the electrical storm last night in and posting to Instagram. I avoid checking any hold baggage of possible, and I don't expect ramp agents to risk their lives from electrocution, like some kind of Neo-Bwana, just so I can get a worthless bag of junk quickly if I do happen to load one.

Som nam naa.

Edited by arunsakda

When this this happens---Anyone know what happens to your luggage IF you have a connecting domestic flight ? which I have-- 2.5hrs from landing to check-in--will the luggage be sent on to your Hotel if it doesn't arrive in time ??---Just wondering unsure.png

Edited by Bucko

Bucko..

yes, IF your baggage is well marked with address and phone number, airlines will do their best to either send forward to your hotel digs. This would be an EXCELLENT time to remind your airline whether or not you have any "Premium Pass." I know in USA--late luggage gets cornholed into some storage room. An extra step to haul their luggage to your current residence? Read the fine print. From hero to horror stories await.

Not unique to Thailand.

At Europe's third biggest airport, Frankfurt/Germany on Tuesday evening a helper on the platform of a pushback tractor was struck by lightning and severly injured.

During the thunderstorm no aircraft was loaded/unloaded.

20 aircraft could not land, 15 aircraft could not start.

Some 10 years ago we landed at Don Mueang (before Suv. was opened) in a heavy thunderstorm.

Not funny. We were probably the last aircraft that landed.

After entering the baggage hall there was a short power outage.

Airport in the dark blink.png

even I, have been delayed in airports. (storm in New York City, six hours with my 89 year old mom ..no wheelchair either)

not such an interesting topic..but, glad you made it.

I recall once boarding a flight bound for London at O'Hare in the US They closed the doors as a rainstorm increased in intensity and we sat there for nearly four hours, refusing to let anyone disembark or to provide much in the way of refreshment because we might suddenly be allowed to taxi. Then of course when we did queue for take off there were a load and a half of planes before us.

Horrible experience and the flight crew did nothing but sit on their butts or make snide comments if anyone asked for anything. Many of us missed connecting flights in London, but the airline did nothing to assist people thus stranded.

Still I suppose it was better than making a heroic effect to take off in a storm and ending up in a ditch at the end of the runway.

i suspect your luggage was delayed due to health and safety concerns (for once!) and actually has nothing to do with any inherent delays the airport as your title suggests.

i wouldn't worry about your driver i'm sure he enjoyed a nap in the air coned car or shot the breeze with his driver mates, hanging around doing nothing for a couple of hours while on the clock never bothered a thai ;)

My, how dreadful for you.......coffee1.gif

I hope you have fully recovered this morning. If not I'm sure you can find a counselling support group for your First World Woes......

Quite agree- I find this type of post quite strange.

A post giving details of some new security measure or new regulation that may effect many of us that travel through the airport could well be useful.

The storm affected many places that night.

I more sorry for his driver ( read taxi)

A few years back I landed at Bangkok and as me and friend was walking from the plane to immigration there was announcement that the flight coming in (this was the one after mine) could not land due to bad weather. We were lucky

I have had numerous occasions to compare the relative delay for getting my luggage on the belt between Suwa and a few European airports and Suwa wins hands down almost every time.

I have other gripes about Suwa, but baggage delivery isn't one of them.

IMO is Paris Charles De Gaulle the worst one concerning luggage waiting...

How difficult would it be to build airports with covered areas into which the planes can pull in so the baggage handlers aren't subject to lightening strikes?

Sorry but the dangers of lightening dont work that way. Maintenance and airfield operation stops which includes everything going on at an airport outside. Its for the safety of all personnel. Bags can and should wait.

As stated by others this can happen anywhere in the world. Luckily they allowed your plane to land.

I have been rerouted a few times on the long haul flights from Thailand to the USA, worst trip ever took me over 50hrs in transit and being rerouted twice in the USA due to bad storms with high winds.

As for the normal luggage operations at Swampy I think they are good, only a handful of times have I had to wait for my luggage in the past 20-25 years.