So what did the Brexit supporters gain?

Would leaving the EU allow the UK to spend more money on the NHS?

A bit. Vote Leave argues that NHS underfunding could be eased by ending our “£350m-a-week” EU budget contribution – enough, it claims, to build a new hospital every week. It said: “We will be able to spend our money on our priorities like the NHS.“ Gisela Stuart, the Labour MP and group’s vice chair, said: ”I'd rather that we control how to spend that money, and if I had that control I would spend it on the NHS.” Boris Johnson, the former Mayor of London, has said that Brexit would reduce waiting times at accident and emergency units.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/will-brexit-save-taxpayers-money-nhs-eu-referendum-vote-leave-a7049501.html

NHS consultant paid £375,000 in overtime

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36898881

those figures were totally discredited BEFORE the referendum. even BJ (and others) admitted they were wrong.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would leaving the EU allow the UK to spend more money on the NHS?

A bit. Vote Leave argues that NHS underfunding could be eased by ending our “£350m-a-week” EU budget contribution – enough, it claims, to build a new hospital every week. It said: “We will be able to spend our money on our priorities like the NHS.“ Gisela Stuart, the Labour MP and group’s vice chair, said: ”I'd rather that we control how to spend that money, and if I had that control I would spend it on the NHS.” Boris Johnson, the former Mayor of London, has said that Brexit would reduce waiting times at accident and emergency units.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/will-brexit-save-taxpayers-money-nhs-eu-referendum-vote-leave-a7049501.html

NHS consultant paid £375,000 in overtime

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36898881

those figures were totally discredited BEFORE the referendum. even BJ (and others) admitted they were wrong.

That's a bit strange, the £375K figure only came out this morning.

Is the UK trade minister preparing for the UK to enter the TTIP

Over the next 12 months Price's team would start working through the options for a U.S. deal, and the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (T-TIP), which the United States is now negotiating with the EU, is "a great piece of work to build upon," he said. "I suspect we'd push for even greater liberalism within it," Price added

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-trade-idUKKCN1062CG

All of the above and still the French hate us .smile.png

You are wrong. the French ignore you, quite simply

Doesnt look that way , when you see the way they act towards our tourists and importers . check your history , or maybe they are frightened of us? as we always either beat them ,or save them .

Over the next 12 months Price's team would start working through the options for a U.S. deal, and the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (T-TIP), which the United States is now negotiating with the EU, is "a great piece of work to build upon," he said. "I suspect we'd push for even greater liberalism within it," Price added

The Disgraced former Defence Secretary Liam Fox is currently setting about 'investment talks' in the US, a man with a proven track record of not knowing how to distinguish between doing his job for the nation and 'doing a job for his friends'.

In the background are the negotiations with the EU over the T-TIP trade deal which the UK will no longer have a veto on but which is widely criticised in the UK as a threat to, amongst other things, the NHS.

Good luck with this Britain, you're going to need it.

The Disgraced former Defence Secretary Liam Fox is currently setting about 'investment talks' in the US, a man with a proven track record of not knowing how to distinguish between doing his job for the nation and 'doing a job for his friends'.

In the background are the negotiations with the EU over the T-TIP trade deal which the UK will no longer have a veto on but which is widely criticised in the UK as a threat to, amongst other things, the NHS.

Good luck with this Britain, you're going to need it.

Exactly.

Mr Obama played a blinder, the US now has the UK where it wants, out of the EU. The UK now has no say in how the US manipulates negotiates the EU. Why was John Kerry at Boris Johnson's first EU meeting?

The UK is now so desperate for a trade deal with the US they are likely to agree to almost anything put on the table.

Brexit: Article 50 was never actually meant to be used, says its author

Giuliano Amato said the clause had specifically been inserted to placate the British

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-referendum-britain-theresa-may-article-50-not-supposed-meant-to-be-used-trigger-giuliano-a7156656.html

This statement from Article 50 is so vague that the UK could be blocked from all EU meetings other than exit negotiations.

"For the purposes of paragraphs 2 and 3, the member of the European Council or of the Council representing the withdrawing Member State shall not participate in the discussions of the European Council or Council or in decisions concerning it."

Edited by sandyf

Doesnt look that way , when you see the way they act towards our tourists and importers . check your history , or maybe they are frightened of us? as we always either beat them ,or save them .

Last news is a French who will be responsible of Brexit negotiations for Europe.
A man of the center-right (Christian Democrat), elegant, without charisma, Europeen convinced champion of the standard and the precautionary principle. Wholesale, one of those who made the Europe we all hate.
With him there will be no clash but the talks may last a long, long ...

post-234089-0-71978500-1469617963_thumb.

Edited by happy Joe

We have evidence here on TVF of British animosity towards the French, we can hardly trust the same sources for opinions of the French on the British.

Quite right herr claudius , the french just can not adjust to being historic losers ,

especially in Rugby . 555

Animosity on TVF towards the french ,? Really Not on butty ..

Actually i eat frogs regularly , good for increasing the metabolic rate ,and delicous fried .coffee1.gif

Edited by elliss

Last news is a French who will be responsible of Brexit negotiations for Europe.
A man of the center-right (Christian Democrat), elegant, without charisma, Europeen convinced champion of the standard and the precautionary principle. Wholesale, one of those who made the Europe we all hate.
With him there will be no clash but the talks may last a long, long ...

Bring a few bottles spring to mind its a long few nights a head!

We have evidence here on TVF of British animosity towards the French, we can hardly trust the same sources for opinions of the French on the British.

Quite right herr claudius , the french just can not adjust to being historic losers ,

especially in Rugby . 555

Animosity on TVF towards the french ,? Really Not on butty ..

Actually i eat frogs regularly , good for increasing the metabolic rate ,and delicous fried .coffee1.gif

They are useless at cricket, even refuse to buy stumps, why say more any nation that cannot enjoy enjoy cricket has not lived! We have tried to embrace them, we enjoy wine with cricket, but still they dont get it.

As a follow on

FTSE 100 hits one-year high and FTSE 250 erases post-Brexit losses as UK economy grows by 0.6pc

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/07/27/ftse-100-set-to-open-higher-as-markets-eye-us-fed-rates-decision/

European banks prepare for possible shockwaves from stress test results

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jul/26/european-banks-prepare-for-possible-shockwaves-from-stress-test-results

Monday 01 August will see the start of the downward spiral of the euro and the increase in the strength the £ Sterling.

Although this has been going on for decades, I would like to think that it has been given the attention and action that it deserves because of Brexit.

Dozens of staff at the Byron Hamburgers chain of restaurants have been arrested in an immigration swoop, it has emerged.

The Home Office has confirmed 35 nationals from Brazil, Nepal, Egypt and Albania were among those rounded up in the raid, which took place acrossLondon on the morning of 4 July.

Apparently a member of staff had this to say.

It is <deleted> disgusting. Some of these people worked here for four or five years and they weren’t even given a chance to say goodbye,” said the worker who spoke on condition of anonymity.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jul/27/immigration-raid-on-byron-hamburgers-rounds-up-30-workers

Nothing wrong with working illegally for 4 or 5 years, but its '' <deleted> disgusting '' that they are held to account for breaking the law.

Lets see these raids continue, and being reported every single day until the message starts to sink in.

Although this has been going on for decades, I would like to think that it has been given the attention and action that it deserves because of Brexit.

Dozens of staff at the Byron Hamburgers chain of restaurants have been arrested in an immigration swoop, it has emerged.

The Home Office has confirmed 35 nationals from Brazil, Nepal, Egypt and Albania were among those rounded up in the raid, which took place acrossLondon on the morning of 4 July.

It is <deleted> disgusting. Some of these people worked here for four or five years and they weren’t even given a chance to say goodbye,” said the worker who spoke on condition of anonymity.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jul/27/immigration-raid-on-byron-hamburgers-rounds-up-30-workers

Nothing wrong with working illegally for 4 or 5 years, but its '' <deleted> disgusting '' that they are held to account for breaking the law.

Lets see these raids continue, and being reported every single day until the message starts to sink in.

Not saying you are wrong, in an ideal world all people would work "legally"......but

I find it a little bit funny that most of the complaints on here have been about immigrants coming and claiming benefits yet when others work("illegally") there are still complaints.

you seem to be ignoring the fact the it is the EMPLOYERS who are the worst offenders. ...and you seem to think it is connected to the EU............UK's obligations to asylum seekers and refugees are not controlled by EU.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Not saying you are wrong, in an ideal world all people would work "legally"......but

I find it a little bit funny that most of the complaints on here have been about immigrants coming and claiming benefits yet when others work("illegally") there are still complaints.

Just for the benefit of any doubt. My position is the UK benefits system is a cluster, for everyone, and needs to be radically overhauled. The sooner the better.

I do not think there is anything funny about people working illegally and / or claiming benefits that should not be getting paid out in the 1st place.

Edited by SgtRock

you seem to be ignoring the fact the it is the EMPLOYERS who are the worst offenders. ...and you seem to think it is connected to the EU............UK's obligations to asylum seekers and refugees are not controlled by EU.

The reading comprehension skills of the highly educated remainer, one step up from a concrete block.

Nowhere did I mention employers, the EU, asylum seekers or refugees.

Learn to read and comprehend before even attempting to further engage with me.

Just for the benefit of any doubt. My position is the UK benefits system is a cluster, for everyone, and needs to be radically overhauled. The sooner the better.

I do not think there is anything funny about people working illegally and / or claiming benefits that should not be getting paid out in the 1st place.

But it is funny.

People are so tied up in these artificial border constructs that have been put in place by the powers that be to control the masses.

Why should any of these people be considered "illegal" for moving and working? As the article states, some have been there for 4 or 5 years....how are they harming the country by flipping burgers?

According to the article the employer was doing the right thing, so they were not "stealing" jobs by doing them cheaper....they chose to move to a different country to flip burgers, why would you be against that?

I truly don't understand how anyone could be against people moving to a different country to better their lives....is that not literally what every single person in history that has moved countries done?

Haven't all of us(presumably) on Thai visa moved here for a better life?

The only argument anyone can have about this is "but it's illegal", but laws have and will change and borders have and will change. It is constantly changing(look at the Aussie family in Scotland for an example). Just because your ancestor's(again presumably) came to Britain for a better life when laws were different doesn't make that any less right or wrong.

The only other argument could be "they are taking jobs from Brits" but if you are missing out on a job to an "illegal" immigrant to flip burgers in a restaurant the problem doesn't lie with them, it lies with you who have had all the advantages in life(in comparison) but still can't do a job better than them.

Plus, Brits were also immigrants at one stage.

Ps. I am using "you" in the general sense, not directing it at anyone one in particular.

But it is funny.

People are so tied up in these artificial border constructs that have been put in place by the powers that be to control the masses.

Why should any of these people be considered "illegal" for moving and working? As the article states, some have been there for 4 or 5 years....how are they harming the country by flipping burgers?

According to the article the employer was doing the right thing, so they were not "stealing" jobs by doing them cheaper....they chose to move to a different country to flip burgers, why would you be against that?

I truly don't understand how anyone could be against people moving to a different country to better their lives....is that not literally what every single person in history that has moved countries done?

The only argument anyone can have about this is "but it's illegal", but laws have and will change and borders have and will change. It is constantly changing(look at the Aussie family in Scotland for an example). Just because your ancestor's(again presumably) came to Britain for a better life when laws were different doesn't make that any less right or wrong.

The only other argument could be "they are taking jobs from Brits" but if you are missing out on a job to an "illegal" immigrant to flip burgers in a restaurant the problem doesn't lie with them, it lies with you who have had all the advantages in life(in comparison) but still can't do a job better than them.

Ps. I am using "you" in the general sense, not directing it at anyone one in particular.

I think one of the biggest things we miss is that immigrants legal or illegal gain Jobs in low paying Industries often. It is not the Immigrants fault but the fault of systems that allow Employers to keep down the wages of workers by importing cheap and controllable labour. Control your Employers and you can stem the problem. Immigrants are not the problem. It is those who exploit them who are.

But it is funny.

I think one of the biggest things we miss is that immigrants legal or illegal gain Jobs in low paying Industries often. It is not the Immigrants fault but the fault of systems that allow Employers to keep down the wages of workers by importing cheap and controllable labour. Control your Employers and you can stem the problem. Immigrants are not the problem. It is those who exploit them who are.

Somebody has to do those jobs though and people that maybe don't have the language skills or a trained profession are ideal for them.

You would think/hope that anyone born, raised and educated in Britain would not want such menial jobs.

You can't just put it all on the employer's either, they are there to make money and in my view so long as they are not doing anything morally wrong they are ok. In this instance I don't think they are doing anything morally wrong.....just a technical illegality based on the person's passport.

But it is funny.

When you are able to make the distinction between legal migrant and illegal migrant. We might be in a position to have a negotiation.

If you are unable to differentiate between them, then we would be wasting our time.

But it is funny.

When you are able to make the distinction between legal migrant and illegal migrant. We might be in a position to have a negotiation.

If you are unable to differentiate between them, then we would be wasting our time.

At what point did I say there wasn't a difference? In fact I made it abundantly clear there were laws in place for this, however I did expressly ask you "why" those laws were in place. There was actually a whole paragraph dedicated to stating it was against the law....not sure how you missed that?

If you don't know the answer or don't want to share it just say so. That is ok,a lot of people on here tend to do that when they cannot back up their statements and I don't hold it against any of them.

The only way I could possibly understand where you are coming from is if you are of the opinion that every law that exists is perfect and beyond questioning....is that what you think?

Can you do me one favour though, most people here seem capable of having a decent reasonable conversation about this no matter what side of the fence they are sitting on(with some obvious exceptions), so why can you also try to engage with me on a reasonable level rather than misunderstanding(by choice or ignorance) what is written and conducting a straw man argument?

Yes indeed we have,

In doing so we have complied with the Thai immigration rules that are rigidly enforced and we cannot claim 1 Baht from the Thai government in benefits/hospital care, We have to pay our own way,

I have no issue with any immigrant to any country who can meet immigration rules and pay their own way.

Yes indeed we have,

In doing so we have complied with the Thai immigration rules that are rigidly enforced and we cannot claim 1 Baht from the Thai government in benefits/hospital care, We have to pay our own way,

I have no issue with any immigrant to any country who can meet immigration rules and pay their own way.

That is a fair enough view, but I guess where we differ is I don't think current immigration rules are valid or morally correct(for Thailand or Britain).

Most "immigrants' historically would be classed as "illegal" both then and now....but most people seem to think that is ok.

I do agree that if it possible to immigrate legally you should, however that isn't an option for some people....should they be condemned to a worse life for them and their children based purely on where they were born?

If I didn't have 400k in my bank account I would not be able to live with my daughter as my wife wouldn't be able to legally immigrate to my country and I would not be able to live in hers.....Why should I be treated better than someone with 390k?