Dutchman Johan van Laarhoven and Tukta, his Thai wife Innocent, in Bangkok Prison

rooster59

During his so-called "trial" his team produced evidence that proved that tax was paid on every euro earned in the coffee shops - and this evidence was arbitrarily ignored by the Thai courts.

Indeed a Dutch justice official told reporters in January they had not asked the Thai authorities to arrest Van Laarhoven and were only after information. "The arrest was their own decision" a spokesperson said.

Thai authorities at the time said he was arrested because he made his money by doing something that was illegal in Thailand - the fact that he was not in Thailand when he was making his money seems lost on the feeble minded.

I've seen a case where evidence was ignored by the judge, statements were invented by the judge and illegally acquired evidence allowed on the basis that the judge 'could have' ordered it found. The fact that he didn't appeared to make no difference. The Thai judiciary is a bad joke. One bad joke among many in Thailand.

What is truly amazing about this, is that Thais demand to be taken seriously and pout if you don't..

W

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

where are all the this could happen anywhere comments?, it most certainly could not. Jailed on no evidence and no crime committed, it could only happen here or somewhere like N Korea.

It was happening to young offenders in America, two judges were sentencing young offenders to (their friend's private) prison for pretty much nothing for years. They made millions from it and completely ruined children's lives.

The West Memphis 3.....

etc etc.

No, not only Thailand that innocent people get jailed after committing no crime (with the authorities fully aware of the fact).....

Don't know about you but I'm waiting for the "Locked up Abroad" episode in the next couple of years......................wink.png

Just a thought though, if all the evidence is truly on the table, I can't see how it is possible for a Dutch national to be locked up (for 103 years) by a Thai system without the OK from Holland.

Conspiratorial I know, but i think that side should be looked at (very closely) as well. All very good that the government are now trying to turn this, but what happened before?

" the court knew Johan van Laarhoven and Tukta were innocent and that in reality they had no case against them but that he was instructed by powers from above to execute and sentence the verdicts. "

How chillingermm.gif

To order a judge to pervert justice is not something a Minister can do - it's got to come from someone REALLY high up in the Govt (or beyond).

You are completely wrong, even the police can tell a judge to find a person guilty, as can the prosecuter. Corruption is a way of life in the so called justice system of Thailand.

" the court knew Johan van Laarhoven and Tukta were innocent and that in reality they had no case against them – but that he was instructed by powers from above to execute and sentence the verdicts. "

How chillingermm.gif

To order a judge to pervert justice is not something a Minister can do - it's got to come from someone REALLY high up in the Govt (or beyond).

That's not at all true.

I've seen it happen here - collusion between police, judiciary and brokers/lawyers taking a fee.

What I saw involved a $600,000 bribe.

If one follows the logic that put this innocent couple in prison- if a person goes to gamble in Cambodia where it is perfectly legal and then returns to Thailand with the proceeds- they would be breaking the law because gambling is illegal in Thailand. Anyone see any lines forming in Poipet to record gambling wins and prosecution of people. Since when do foreign embassies write letters to the Thai government requesting investigation of their nationals who have done nothing illegal. The whole concept of what happened is chilling to the extreme.

Having read previous stories on this ...the guy had legal,licensed cafes in which he sold cannabis . He then legally sold his business and retired to Thailand, bringing his monies here legally and declaring everything . There was a question of his not paying taxes in his own country , for which he was investigated and never charged . Stating that he would co-operate completely with the government investigation, which by the way stated that he did and no problems were found . Once here someone got the idea to go after him trying to state the monies were illegal because cannabis sales here are illegal......and therefore all of his funds were gotten illegally. After prosecution his house and all of his possessions were "auctioned" off and his monies taken by the government....

He got his money form selling drugs and by saying that he retired to Thailand is kind of in the same ball park of saying that if Pablo Escobar had stopped selling cocaine and retired to Thailand then he should have been clear too as he didn't sell his product in Thailand. You can also compare this to pedophiles that commit crimes in SAE and later get jailed for it in their home countries, some didn't even break the law in the country where they where doing it but still they can get convicted as child molesters in their home country because of the differences of age of consent. OR to take this to the highest level... Usama Bin Ladin, seen as a freedom fighter by his people, killed by US as a terrorist.

BTW. Do you follow the Thai law when you are in Thailand?

* Do you have a drivers license for motorcycle if you are driving one? (Everybody need a drivers license...)

* Do you use helmet when you are driving motorcycle? (If you don't then there is probably nothing to protect anyway...)

* Do you pay the lady you pickup at the bar? (prostitution is ILLEGAL in Thailand...)

Those are only 3 examples where many foreigners are breaking the Thai law every day.

(prostitution is ILLEGAL in Thailand...) ...

So how many thais are breaking the law every f....ing day in Thailand then ?

This dutch guy is not guilty of any crime . What he did in the Netherlands was legal over there , and as far as I know he did nothing illegal in Thailand also .

He is in Jail now because he brought a lot of money into Thailand .

Thailand has the reputation of being corrupt to the bones , I wonder why ...?

They will eventually get him back to the Netherlands, only to put him in jail and prosecute him there, so far for his "legal" business.

http://www.nltimes.nl/2016/03/10/coffeeshop-management-held-in-e20-million-money-laundering-scheme/

His business was legal, end lf story. The Dutch authorities investigated him on tax evasion but found now evidence. He will not spent a minute in a Dutch jail.

Having read previous stories on this ...the guy had legal,licensed cafes in which he sold cannabis . He then legally sold his business and retired to Thailand, bringing his monies here legally and declaring everything . There was a question of his not paying taxes in his own country , for which he was investigated and never charged . Stating that he would co-operate completely with the government investigation, which by the way stated that he did and no problems were found . Once here someone got the idea to go after him trying to state the monies were illegal because cannabis sales here are illegal......and therefore all of his funds were gotten illegally. After prosecution his house and all of his possessions were "auctioned" off and his monies taken by the government....

He got his money form selling drugs and by saying that he retired to Thailand is kind of in the same ball park of saying that if Pablo Escobar had stopped selling cocaine and retired to Thailand then he should have been clear too as he didn't sell his product in Thailand. You can also compare this to pedophiles that commit crimes in SAE and later get jailed for it in their home countries, some didn't even break the law in the country where they where doing it but still they can get convicted as child molesters in their home country because of the differences of age of consent. OR to take this to the highest level... Usama Bin Ladin, seen as a freedom fighter by his people, killed by US as a terrorist.

* Do you have a drivers license for motorcycle if you are driving one? (Everybody need a drivers license...)

* Do you use helmet when you are driving motorcycle? (If you don't then there is probably nothing to protect anyway...)

* Do you pay the lady you pickup at the bar? (prostitution is ILLEGAL in Thailand...)

Those are only 3 examples where many foreigners are breaking the Thai law every day.

I would really like to say what I think but it would be like water on a ducks back looking at the uninformed and ill educated piece of diatribe you have written here.

1. What do you know about the drug trade?

what do you know about the effectiveness of crime prevention?

What do you know about the dutch experiment this man was probably unknowingly a part of/

Well I do know a bit more probably than you. i am a Doctor of Medicine - Infectious diseases and this my dear friend makes me a little more informed than you as I have worked and been involved in my medical capacity oin such trials and experiments and I see first hand every day when I practiced the effects and ill and side effects of drugs.

I can tell you that the model the Dutch took reduced crime, reduced drug trafficking reduced drug taking and made it easier to control. In fact it is a model that a lot of other 1st world countries are looking at adopting except the USA which politicises this and like gun laws says one thing and allows another to occur. - another topic. However, this man did no wrong in his own country, and you are being judge and jury.

And you state about prostitution. that is illegal here too and maybe before you condemn someone else, as they say, he who is without sin cast the first stone or something to that effect.

So look at yourself before you sit high and mighty. He is being convicted here for a political purpose and probably because he is a foreigner and nothing more.

In Thailand the law is the law, no matter that he sold his cannabis legally in Holland, cannabis is illegal in Thailand, and export too. I am not debating the moral aspect, just the legal aspect.

This man knew this very well, and he knew that if he had asked an export permit it would have been denied.

Sorry for him, cannabis should be legalized, but in Rome...

The story is short on information. Is Thailand sentencing him for proceeds of crime from Netherlands and doing this in Thailand because as I am reading into this, he made his money with cannabis overseas?

NOW this if the case, is really making this country more bizarre every day.

Whell, do not underestimate the Dutch authorities, they are not better!

I would really like to say what I think but it would be like water on a ducks back looking at the uninformed and ill educated piece of diatribe you have written here.

1. What do you know about the drug trade?

what do you know about the effectiveness of crime prevention?

What do you know about the dutch experiment this man was probably unknowingly a part of/

Well I do know a bit more probably than you. i am a Doctor of Medicine - Infectious diseases and this my dear friend makes me a little more informed than you as I have worked and been involved in my medical capacity oin such trials and experiments and I see first hand every day when I practiced the effects and ill and side effects of drugs.

I can tell you that the model the Dutch took reduced crime, reduced drug trafficking reduced drug taking and made it easier to control. In fact it is a model that a lot of other 1st world countries are looking at adopting except the USA which politicises this and like gun laws says one thing and allows another to occur. - another topic. However, this man did no wrong in his own country, and you are being judge and jury.

And you state about prostitution. that is illegal here too and maybe before you condemn someone else, as they say, he who is without sin cast the first stone or something to that effect.

So look at yourself before you sit high and mighty. He is being convicted here for a political purpose and probably because he is a foreigner and nothing more.

I have to agree that the analogy is pretty dubious at best.

A better analogy would be if the Thai authorities imprisoned someone who wrote a scathing book about Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, which sold like wildfire, then retired to Thailand to live off the profits - because lèse-majesté is strictly forbidden by Thai law.

The very thought is ludicrous, but here we are...

Right or wrong I don't know, anyone noticed that the writer of the article in the op and the convicted have the same last name and so the article could be biased?

Believe it or not, I was following the whole story in Dutch newspapers, this case stinks, in particular in the Netherlands, even the prosecuter of this case was arrested for lies.

In Thailand the law is the law, no matter that he sold his cannabis legally in Holland, cannabis is illegal in Thailand, and export too. I am not debating the moral aspect, just the legal aspect.

This man knew this very well, and he knew that if he had asked an export permit it would have been denied.

But he sold canabis legally in his own country not Thailand right? If i legally drive right side of the road back home I can't be arrested in Thailand for that right ?

But he sold canabis legally in his own country not Thailand right? If i legally drive right side of the road back home I can't be arrested in Thailand for that right ?

Don't count on it.

Right or wrong I don't know, anyone noticed that the writer of the article in the op and the convicted have the same last name and so the article could be biased?

Believe it or not, I was following the whole story in Dutch newspapers, this case stinks, in particular in the Netherlands, even the prosecuter of this case was arrested for lies.

Very weird story indeed. Soon it will be solved in a few weeks. With the guy flying back to Netherlands. His money lost in LOS (pun intended!)...

I certainly agree that this case stinks on all sides I just questioned the bias of the writer in this article since it might as well be his brother who could change some facts to his believing..

So anyone selling alcohol in a country where it is legal should be flogged and imprisoned for spending money earned from that legal trade when they visit a country where it is illegal to do so in your book?

That's all this man did. He spent legally earned money.

" the court knew Johan van Laarhoven and Tukta were innocent and that in reality they had no case against them – but that he was instructed by powers from above to execute and sentence the verdicts. "

How chillingermm.gif

No, a Minister is high enough.

Archived