Dutchman Johan van Laarhoven and Tukta, his Thai wife Innocent, in Bangkok Prison

rooster59

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why farangs have to bring ALL their liquid assets to thailand….dumb move….cant they just keep whatever the minimum sum is required by law….and transfer a monthly amount from overseas accounts?

Thats exactly what l do, Holmesy.

Never any more than $3000 at one time.

When thats gone, l send for another $2000 or $3000.

When they smell money and get after you, it's game over. Thailand should be taken to the world court in The Hague for this.

As they have not ratified their Rome Statute signature, no can do, and seeing as this is not a case for the ICC anyway, which is solely concerned with; genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes and crimes of aggression, there is exactly zero chance that they would hear the case even if Thailand were ratified. They are actually rather busy dealing with a backlog of genocide cases, I doubt we will ever see the day that an international court gets involved in cases with single victims.

In Thailand the law is the law, no matter that he sold his cannabis legally in Holland, cannabis is illegal in Thailand, and export too. I am not debating the moral aspect, just the legal aspect.

This man knew this very well, and he knew that if he had asked an export permit it would have been denied.

Sorry for him, cannabis should be legalized, but in Rome...

And when not in Rome, as in the case in question?

This is a troubling president, or is there a similar president in other countries?

I am sure that there are many things that a legal in other countries but are illegal in Thailand. and vice versa

for instance. a particular trading practice, might be legal in a country but illegal in Thailand. and vice versa

does Thailand have the right to confiscate funds obtained under these legal practices abroad? and are Thai funds abroad subject to the same?

Could the money of a British bar owner, be confiscated in Saudi Arabia?

I'm trying to understand this.

If I am arrested in London for something, and am not prosecuted because there is no evidence that what I did actually broke any British laws. And then I come to Thailand for a holiday, I risk being arrested and banged up if what I did is found to be a crime in Thailand?

Did I get that right?

W

The story is short on information. Is Thailand sentencing him for proceeds of crime from Netherlands and doing this in Thailand because as I am reading into this, he made his money with cannabis overseas?

NOW this if the case, is really making this country more bizarre every day.

Follow the link and read the full story. All the information is there, it's outrageous what's been done to these two! Once you've read the full story you'll probably be of the opinion that bizarre has reached a whole new level.

If I am arrested in London for something, and am not prosecuted because there is no evidence that what I did actually broke any British laws. And then I come to Thailand for a holiday, I risk being arrested and banged up if what I did is found to be a crime in Thailand?

Did I get that right?

W

seems so.. Scary or what!

" the court knew Johan van Laarhoven and Tukta were innocent and that in reality they had no case against them – but that he was instructed by powers from above to execute and sentence the verdicts. "

How chillingermm.gif

why was this man not simply deported to the Netherlands

whoever instructed the court and whoever carried out those instructions within the court system and justice system should be in jail, although it is of no surprise it brings into question the whole justice system and why there is zero confidence in it, one case especially comes to mind but I will refrain from mentioning it here, enough to say the verdict was based on nothing at all of any substance were evidence (that the conviction was based on) could not be produced or verified

"whoever instructed the court and whoever carried out those instructions within the court system and justice system should be in jail"

Who is the leader of the junta?

who has taken the country from the people?

Who can override a courts findings and instruction?

Who has given himself super powers article 44?

Who has given himself and cohorts massive amnesty?

Who could free this man and his wife?

Thailand world court.......!

I would think the Dutch authorities would see that they have played enough of a role in creating the situation that they would do what ever is needed to secure this guy's release. This story surfaced a long time ago and now that it has resurfaced it is plain nothing is being done other than the petition circulating. Horrific.

Did I get that right?

W

seems so.. Scary or what!

Scary. Very scary.

W

This is Thai corruption at it's worst. We all agree.This situation is absolutely disgusting. How could we help these two people? And there are others!!

No it is Dutch Corruption at its worst....the sort that permits itss officers to write false letters to persue a witch hunt because they think the Dutch court should have convicted him instead of deciding there was no case.

The further corruption of the Dutch in saying now that it is a thai dedicision. Moral Corruption of the worst kind.

As his business was legal in Holland, I'm sure he bragged about it or at least told good stories. Someone, either Dutch or Thai, was envious of his good fortune or he offended someone's face. No doubt he was dobbed...

You did not read the link then .He was dobbed by the Dutch procurator . .

Having read previous stories on this ...the guy had legal,licensed cafes in which he sold cannabis . He then legally sold his business and retired to Thailand, bringing his monies here legally and declaring everything . There was a question of his not paying taxes in his own country , for which he was investigated and never charged . Stating that he would co-operate completely with the government investigation, which by the way stated that he did and no problems were found . Once here someone got the idea to go after him trying to state the monies were illegal because cannabis sales here are illegal......and therefore all of his funds were gotten illegally. After prosecution his house and all of his possessions were "auctioned" off and his monies taken by the government....

He got his money form selling drugs and by saying that he retired to Thailand is kind of in the same ball park of saying that if Pablo Escobar had stopped selling cocaine and retired to Thailand then he should have been clear too as he didn't sell his product in Thailand. You can also compare this to pedophiles that commit crimes in SAE and later get jailed for it in their home countries, some didn't even break the law in the country where they where doing it but still they can get convicted as child molesters in their home country because of the differences of age of consent. OR to take this to the highest level... Usama Bin Ladin, seen as a freedom fighter by his people, killed by US as a terrorist.

BTW. Do you follow the Thai law when you are in Thailand?

* Do you have a drivers license for motorcycle if you are driving one? (Everybody need a drivers license...)

* Do you use helmet when you are driving motorcycle? (If you don't then there is probably nothing to protect anyway...)

* Do you pay the lady you pickup at the bar? (prostitution is ILLEGAL in Thailand...)

Those are only 3 examples where many foreigners are breaking the Thai law every day.

You missed the point completely, entirely and hands down shamefully. The drugs he was selling were and are LEGAL in his country. So he didn't break any law in his country or here in Thailand.

They have two lotteries in Thailand. One is where you buy tickets and hope to win a lot of money. The other is the justice system. One of the dreadful ironies of this case is that the country which has handed out the 103-year sentence on a Dutch man for selling grass is talking of legalising the much more addictive and pernicious ya ba.

Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

They have two lotteries in Thailand. One is where you buy tickets and hope to win a lot of money. The other is the justice system. One of the dreadful ironies of this case is that the country which has handed out the 103-year sentence on a Dutch man for selling grass is talking of legalising the much more addictive and pernicious ya ba.

Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

Except that you are wrong .Yaba will be downgraded from class A ,but will still be illegal .

Having read previous stories on this ...the guy had legal,licensed cafes in which he sold cannabis . He then legally sold his business and retired to Thailand, bringing his monies here legally and declaring everything . There was a question of his not paying taxes in his own country , for which he was investigated and never charged . Stating that he would co-operate completely with the government investigation, which by the way stated that he did and no problems were found . Once here someone got the idea to go after him trying to state the monies were illegal because cannabis sales here are illegal......and therefore all of his funds were gotten illegally. After prosecution his house and all of his possessions were "auctioned" off and his monies taken by the government....

Sound like another way for the LOS police to gain a large amount of money and assets by bending the laws in their direction. Normal for here.

As his business was legal in Holland, I'm sure he bragged about it or at least told good stories. Someone, either Dutch or Thai, was envious of his good fortune or he offended someone's face. No doubt he was dobbed...

Likely so, could be like that very well indeed.

Likely so, could be like that very well indeed.

Why do people like you comment ,that know nothing about the facts of the case ? .I repeat it was the Dutch prosecutor ,on the tax avoidance issue ,who illegally told the Thai police he had a case to answer back in Holland .( he had been exonerated in Holland but the Dutch prosecutor ,could not let it go ) .

Did I get that right?

W

I think you will find that this "law" only applies to those who have made large amounts of money from their "crime" and have brought that money with them to Thailand.

Reading only here it is hard to understand why Thai justice system got involved in the first place.

1. He was running legitimate business in Netherlands. Thailand not involved.
  2. He sold his business legally in Nederlands. Thailand not involved.
  3. He paid or not tax in Netherlands. Thailand not involved.
  4. He brought his money to Thailand. The big mistake. Thai banks involved.
  5. He bought hose and perhaps spent a lot of money in Thailand. Good for Thailand.
  6. Deposited large, I assume, money in Thai bank was his mistake and a problem. It looks like Thailand likes money especially if they can get it free.
  7. If he could show where the money came from and trace all the legal process/procedure from sale to transfer to Thailand, why Thai government/police/or whoever charged him with money laundering? Why 103 years verdict?
  8. Dis Netherlands sent information for his arrest? On what charge if any?
  9. Who is the robber in this case, if all was legal on Netherlander side?
  10. What law did he broke in Thailand?
  11. Do we see another traversy in Thai justice system like many times before? Koh Tao is a perfect example of crooked Thai justice system, where political machinations, money, influence, connections, illegal activities are real part of all echelons of government structure. Shame.

The story is short on information. Is Thailand sentencing him for proceeds of crime from Netherlands and doing this in Thailand because as I am reading into this, he made his money with cannabis overseas?

NOW this if the case, is really making this country more bizarre every day.

Yes, of course this story is short of information, it is written by the convict's brother.

Anybody basing his opinion on this story should put it in perspective.

Archived