Over 50, Married With Child Questions

Lets see if I got this

I'm over 50

Married to Thai-- Bang Rak 5 years ago

Have child-- Born in Miami but getting Thai birth certificate

Moving to the middle of nowhere soon.

For visa?

1 Get single entry or multi entry visa from embassy in Washington. This give me 90 days?

2 Can apply for 1 year extention without having proof if income or bank balance?

My wife talks about a retirement deal but I dont want to start drawing money out because of the penalty for my age.

Thanks for any help ya'll can give.

You can apply at the Thai consulate for a single-entry or a multiple-entry non-immigrant visa typo O, as you prefer.

The single-entry visa lets you enter Thailand once and you are given permission to stay for 90 days. The multiple-entry visa lets you travel to Thailand an unlimited number of times during the 12-month validity period of the visa, and on each entry you are given permission to stay for 90 days.

During the last 30 days of any 90-day stay you can apply at any immigration office in Thailand for an annual extension of stay. Over 50, married to a Thai, father of a child of Thai nationality: the National Police Order No. 606/2006 lets you choose from among three different reasons for your application:

7.17(5): father of Thai child; no proof of income or money in bank required

7.17(6): married to Thai wife; monthly family income of minimum 40,000 Baht

7.21: retirement; monthly income of minimum 65,000 Baht or 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank account

---------------

Maestro

You can apply at the Thai consulate for a single-entry or a multiple-entry non-immigrant visa typo O, as you prefer.

The single-entry visa lets you enter Thailand once and you are given permission to stay for 90 days. The multiple-entry visa lets you travel to Thailand an unlimited number of times during the 12-month validity period of the visa, and on each entry you are given permission to stay for 90 days.

During the last 30 days of any 90-day stay you can apply at any immigration office in Thailand for an annual extension of stay. Over 50, married to a Thai, father of a child of Thai nationality: the National Police Order No. 606/2006 lets you choose from among three different reasons for your application:

7.21: retirement; monthly income of minimum 65,000 Baht or 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank account

---------------

Maestro

JR Texas (51, USA, dumb as a rock today): Reply to Maestro: Please confirm 7.21 above.

Is it correct that the retirement visa specified in 7.21 above is now available for a foreign person 50 years and above who is married or unmarried?

If true, must the person be married to a Thai? Or can they be married to any nationality?

I have been repeatedly confused about this. Thanks. :o

That's correct. I'm married and use a retirement visa rather than a support visa. I think immigration actually prefers it that way because it is less work for them.

---------------

Maestro

JR Texas (51, USA, dumb as a rock today): Reply to Maestro: Please confirm 7.21 above.

Is it correct that the retirement visa specified in 7.21 above is now available for a foreign person 50 years and above who is married or unmarried?

If true, must the person be married to a Thai? Or can they be married to any nationality?

I have been repeatedly confused about this. Thanks. :o

If I understand the system correctly, and understand the OP correctly, there is another option that might work well for him:

Apply for the one-year O-A visa from a Thai embassy/consulate in USA. He can leave his money untouched in the USA that way for at least another year, and won't have to be bothered with converting/extending with an immigrations office in Thailand. He can do 90-day reports via mail. (He said he's moving to the middle of nowhere and visiting an immigrations office might not be convenient.)

---------------

Maestro

I am 62 and the father of a Thai child.

I am using option 7.17 (6): married to Thai wife; monthly family income of minimum 40,000 Baht

and I have done for about 5 years (apart from a short break when I was in the UK BUT forgot to get a re-entry visa before I left).

My Thai wife support visa is valid until September 10th 2007.

I meet the criteria for the Thai wife support anyway.

Would it be possible or even a good idea to try for a child support visa?

The income is no problem unless of course the government doubles the figure as it has before though that is unlikely. :o

If I understand the system correctly, and understand the OP correctly, there is another option that might work well for him:

Apply for the one-year O-A visa from a Thai embassy/consulate in USA. He can leave his money untouched in the USA that way for at least another year, and won't have to be bothered with converting/extending with an immigrations office in Thailand. He can do 90-day reports via mail. (He said he's moving to the middle of nowhere and visiting an immigrations office might not be convenient.)

Yes, it can be done that way but there are a couple of additional requirements. You need a police report, but that is no big deal. I got that and had to pay for it but it wasn't that expensive. Where I had the problem was with the medical certificate. I took the form I was given to my doctor and quickly found out that my health insurance wouldn't pay for the tests. No way was the doctor going to sign that paper without the tests. They were a ridiculous amount of money. I waited until I got over here.

The terminology changed on October 1st: the reason for extension is no longer for “support”, but “to live with”

To live with your wife – 7.17(6) – the income can be earned by you, by your wife, or be a combination of both.

To live with your child – 7.17(5) – neither needs to support the other. No proof of income required. Immigration does not need to know who pays for whose expenses. Here, child does not mean a minor; your child could be 40 years old.

Possible to change from one reason for extension to the other? Yes, when the time comes for your next application for extension.

A good idea? Only you can be the judge of that, for your situation. So far, I have not yet seen any report of somebody who did it, but the new rules are still young.

---------------

Maestro

Hi, All

I am over 50y old.

When I read through these posts I got the impression I can get 1y year

extension without proof of income or funds in my bank - because I have a

Thai child. Is that correct?

What happens if my child does not live with me but its mother (I wasn't married)?

According to the Thai law the father of a child which was born "illegitimate"

does not have any custody and is NOT his father! (this was mentioned by a lawyer to me!)

Is it true - am I wrong?

My Visa will expire by end of January. Will I get an extension?

Hi, All

I am over 50y old.

When I read through these posts I got the impression I can get 1y year

extension without proof of income or funds in my bank - because I have a

Thai child. Is that correct?

yes

What happens if my child does not live with me but its mother (I wasn't married)?

Still ok

According to the Thai law the father of a child which was born "illegitimate"

does not have any custody and is NOT his father! (this was mentioned by a lawyer to me!)

Is it true - am I wrong?

If your name is on the birth certificate, you are the father. You do not need custody to get the extension of stay.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

The terminology changed on October 1st: the reason for extension is no longer for “support”, but “to live with”

To live with your wife – 7.17(6) – the income can be earned by you, by your wife, or be a combination of both.

To live with your child – 7.17(5) – neither needs to support the other. No proof of income required. Immigration does not need to know who pays for whose expenses. Here, child does not mean a minor; your child could be 40 years old.

Possible to change from one reason for extension to the other? Yes, when the time comes for your next application for extension.

A good idea? Only you can be the judge of that, for your situation. So far, I have not yet seen any report of somebody who did it, but the new rules are still young.

---------------

Maestro

Thank you for the information. I have another 10 months before it is due and I am in Bangkok in a couple of weeks so if I have time I will pop down to Suan Phlu and ask.

I will pop down to Suan Phlu and ask.

One factor to consider when choosing one’s reason for extension of stay can be the duration of the approval process. For example, if you apply upcountry, with an application for living with Thai wife you get several on-month periods “under consideration”, for retirement it is approved instantly if the minimal paperwork required is complete.

I do not know how it is with the extension for living with Thai child, whether approval is immediate or whether “under consideration” periods are used. Nobody has reported on it yet; not even Sunbelt seems to have had a case under this clause 7.17(5) yet.

If this factor is likely to influence your decision, you may want to ask about it when you go to Suan Phlu.

---------------

Maestro

I will pop down to Suan Phlu and ask.

One factor to consider when choosing one’s reason for extension of stay can be the duration of the approval process. For example, if you apply upcountry, with an application for living with Thai wife you get several on-month periods “under consideration”, for retirement it is approved instantly if the minimal paperwork required is complete.

I do not know how it is with the extension for living with Thai child, whether approval is immediate or whether “under consideration” periods are used. Nobody has reported on it yet; not even Sunbelt seems to have had a case under this clause 7.17(5) yet.

If this factor is likely to influence your decision, you may want to ask about it when you go to Suan Phlu.

---------------

Maestro

The last one I did for Thai wife support I went in a month before the expiry date as I was in BKK. I had to come back on 10th September which was a Saturday but I went on the Wednesday following. It was approved until 10th September 2007 but I got an odd look from the lady signing it as I was 3 days oversaying but nothing was said. I will do better next year.

We have had cases under this clause. We just needed the birth certificate that says the foreigner is the daddy.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

We have had cases under this clause. We just needed the birth certificate that says the foreigner is the daddy.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Same with an adopted child?

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Same with an adopted child?

It is allowed but we have not had a case with an adopted child yet. Looking forward to it.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com