catch 22

bentarm44

I've just been asked by the "big man at the obator" if I will spend an hour a day in the village school.

Financial remuneration was mentioned; 350 BT.

The request was made from him via the village headman via the village headmans' wife via my wife.

The purpose of the request is stated to be to introduce the children to some basic spoken English, and to "make then less frightened of aliens".

I am (happily) ignorant of the function of the "big man at the obator"; but have to assume it does not involve any knowledge of aliens, work permits or visas.

Any other assumption would introduce the possibility of some kind of entrapment.

I can only hope my instant declination to do any such thing; with explanation why; was met with approval by all involved.

Judging by the increasing level of what in southern California and Florida is referred to as "Hispanic sniggering" from the children round here; contempt not fear seems to be the primary reaction anyway.

Head down, mouth shut, eyes and ears open.

Following the recent death of a German bloke down the road; I'm now the only alien for miles around in this lower Issan village.

I'm not paranoid, but that doesn't mean they're not out to get me...........whistling.gif

I was asked a similar question when I moved here by the head teacher at the village school, but he wanted me to volunteer. Personally, I didn't have a problem with it...a few hours a day, a few days a week....Happy to do it, as I'm retired.

I told him I would be happy to volunteer at the school, but he would have to go to immigration & get a letter from them saying that, as I'm retired, I had their permission to work, even as a volunteer. Thai law states that if you volunteer, you are still working, and as such need a work permit.

That was the last I ever heard about that.

go ahead, it can only help.

if you want to make a point, donate your 'wage' to a local cause, i.e. re - built the public gym or something.

and do not seek approval here from the resident tv teaching guild as they will flame you to charcoal if you dare to step on their greens.

I was asked a similar question when I moved here by the head teacher at the village school, but he wanted me to volunteer. Personally, I didn't have a problem with it...a few hours a day, a few days a week....Happy to do it, as I'm retired.

I told him I would be happy to volunteer at the school, but he would have to go to immigration & get a letter from them saying that, as I'm retired, I had their permission to work, even as a volunteer. Thai law states that if you volunteer, you are still working, and as such need a work permit.

That was the last I ever heard about that.

I had the same experience as you describe.

Can't you just go without money being involved.

Go ahead and do it. If anyone asks, tell them you are going to school to learn Thai.

Just make sure any payment goes in your wife's name.

Technically the payments are irrelevant. If he is performing work, with or without compensation, it is illegal without a work permit.

It may never be a problem, but if someone wonders aloud to the wrong people about the farang working at the school. it could be made into a problem.

go ahead, it can only help.

if you want to make a point, donate your 'wage' to a local cause, i.e. re - built the public gym or something.

and do not seek approval here from the resident tv teaching guild as they will flame you to charcoal if you dare to step on their greens.

Not a teaching issue but a legal one and warning him of the potential problems he could face has nothing to do with flaming. Working in any capacity, regardless of pay or being a volunteer, is illegal without a work permit.

Indeed there is a good chance that nothing will ever come of it, but it is still technically illegal and he should be fully aware that it could create problems for him no matter how remote the chance that it will. All he needs is one person to be annoyed with him or his wife about something and who decids to chat to the police or immigrations and he will regret his generosity.

This has happened to me a few times (in my case local monks asking me to help them teach English at local schools). If you want to give it a try just go and do it. Don't worry about work permits or paperwork.

There is a good chance that nothing will ever happen anyway. However, if you are invited, and you enjoy it (and the kids seem to be getting something out of it), then you can keep doing it. Often times the kids are really excited to see you and it can be rewarding. But all schools are different.

If it doesn't seem to be working out, just make an excuse that you can't make the next class. Nobody is likely to do any follow-up and that will be the end of that gig.

In my case, the monks couldn't make it one week and then didn't bother for the rest of the school year.

OBEC (the Thai educational authority) has decreed that they want to start sending farang 'teachers' into primary schools to give exposure to English for younger students. At present, the kids get one hour per week, but this is meant to rise to four hours per week in October 2016. So the scramble will be on to try and find farangs for the village schools. Schools will receive additional funding, but many will try and get volunteers so they can use the money for other purposes.

In my view, teaching is a hard gig. The first few lessons are easy enough, but it can be hard thinking up new things. As well, the schools usually want you to teach in one or two hour blocks which I think is too much for young kids. I reckon 30 minute lessons would be just as effective.

Suggestion. Ask those making the request to put it in writing( In Thai and English ) and submit it to Thai Immigration for a waiver.

Should get you a considerable time to consider the request while waiting for response. cheesy.gif

I had a similar request about 8 years ago from very high up in provincial Govt. via a commitee and involved meetings and vetting. No payment, just as voluntary. I deferred a decision due to travel outside Thailand for business. Was never approached again. Despite what seemed to be a very determined effort to iniate English language teaching ( outside of school, for selected children and adults) I am not sure if it ever got under way or if it ceased. At that time I doubt if it would have created issues. However under the new zealousness of Immigration to apply the letter of the law now I would insist on my suggestion as above. I am sure that there is a genuine interest in some educational locations but without awareness of the implications.

I assume you mean by alien, your talking about a non immigrant. Not a creature from out of space.

Silly me.... there's me thinking he was talking about the one's from outer space!! Hard to tell sometimes with some of the experiences I've had in LOS

Silly me.... there's me thinking he was talking about the one's from outer space!! Hard to tell sometimes with some of the experiences I've had in LOS {Quote]

There have been many recent reports of , Aliens / farlang sightings , mainly in the Big C , and Tesco stores.

Take care out there , lock your doors at all times , and lock your daughters up too .facepalm.gif

I assume you mean by alien, your talking about a non immigrant. Not a creature from out of space.

Alien is a term used on many Thai, and other documents. No need to assume, it means exactly what it is defined to mean. Non-Thai in this case, a forengner irrespective of planet of origine...keep enjoying watching your movies and reading your comic books, and don't forget to remind ET to phone home.

Edited by mankondang

I see it as an innocent request to do something that will benefit the kids.

Good idea to keep on the good side of the village head-man too, they aren't all bad.

(If you decline he will lose face)

Personally I would not want to do it every day if it is to be casual, perhaps a couple of days a week.

Take the money and use it to buy some 'teaching aids'.

Edited by jacko45k

Thanks for the replies, a nice mixed hat-full. I see it may be possible for me to save the head-mans' blushes etc, but bottom line is I don't really waana do it anyway. And too risky ( alien ) as well, I have cultivated a low profile round here; it works for me. Teaching was never something I fancied, too much in past and present families already. No further approaches have been made.