Confusion as condo owners told they must have a work permit to rent out units

rooster59

There is one small aspect they haven't considered. Tourists book a condo apartment also because it is much more comfortable for the same price.

I am not sure that hotel numbers will increase automatically because of this.

They should just enforce proper taxation for those who rent out, regardless of how they do it or for how many nights.

I have a condo I rent out periodicallly when I am overseas. Property agent manages rentals and this is huge business and a key selling point over many years in selling condos to foreign investors like myself by highlighting that point when selling.

I prefer monthly or more rental incomes anyway as is a hassle and cost more for cleaning etc. to prepare condo for next renter. Fact is many people don't want to stay in hotels and be ripped off and want the flexibility and affordability of condo living overseas.

I had a renter last year who originally planned 4 weeks but had to cut short stay and was only there for 3 weeks. Didn't charge full stay as he is a repeat customer so does that now mean I could be jailed for this? That's ridiculous.

There is legislation regarding income from rent and how that is classified - in general same as bank deposits or other investments in Thailand generating income. It is taxable of course if over a certain amount per annum.

Generally is in line with other countries where rental properties are not considered a business but investment income. But I understand that running condos as hotels is a business and hence would fall under appropriate regulatory requirements and I have no problem with that but I can see ambiguity and misinformation creeping in with naysayers blaming the whole foreign ownership rental market as a sin and to be banned etc. going against what all other developed nations allow.

• Like 2

Two rules here can be construed from the disparate sources:

1 - A Hotel Licence is required for ANY sub 30 day let - regardless of the nationality of the lessor.

2 - Foreign lessors require a WP.

So logically:

1 - A foreigner with a WP and no hotel licence can let only for > 30 days

2 - A foreigner with a WP and a hotel licence can let for any period of time

3 - A foreigner with no WP cannot let whatsoever.

You are forgetting the condo act and internal building regs which prohibit the carrying out of any business in areas that are not specifically designated as being commercial (commonly the ground floor). It also requires that the access to these commercial areas be separate from the rest of the building, so that residents are not disturbed by the commercial activity.

No matter how you look at it, and no matter how many permits or licences you have, rental businesses are not legal in the residential part of condo buildings.

• Like 2

I would only believe the Labour Ministry when they issue the same official notice to foreign investors in SET.

There is also an exchange of money, even more than in the Real Estate sector...

Many buy NVDR (Non Voting Depositary Receipts) which amongst others things do not allow you to vote/control a company and therefore not 'work'.

• Like 1

I am sure there will be legal loopholes in this----- i.e you rent to a Thai real estate for 1 year contract which allows them to sub-rent when & where availability or demand. It quite possibly will stop free lance owners doing it through.......................coffee1.gif

Now the trick will be HOW does that owner actually GET a Work Permit expressly for his "job" renting out his apartment! Would be interesting for someone down in Phuket to actually try... I'm pretty sure it would be impossible without a registered company backing the application.

• Like 1

Im curious is that a work permit for renting under 30 days only ?

edit

Yes it appears this applies only to sub 30 days.

Makes sense to me, well done indeed

I dont read the notice as saying that?

Regardless of nationality, or work permit; a condo cant be offered for sub 30 day lets.

If a foreigner you need a work permit to rent out your condo.

Thats how I read it? could be wrong though.

No mention of villas either in any articles so far - sub 30 day villa rentals are common the world over - are villa developments registered as hotels here??

edit

Regardless of nationality, or work permit; a condo cant be offered for sub 30 day lets.

No mention of villas either in any articles so far - sub 30 day villa rentals are common the world over - are villa developments registered as hotels here??

any daily rental.. which under Thai law is anything under 30 days at a time.. obviously you could rent out your villa for 2 weeks (14days).. and state the rent is for 30 days.. but you then wouldn't be able to rent it the for the next 16 days.

Unfortunately without a company you would also NOT be able to get a WP either.

Edited by casualbiker
  • Like 2

edit

That letter is not OFFICIAL but just something an office person asked a lawyer about. As usual its poorly written and ambiguous. Even the thread title is incorrect, That non official letter doesn't say that at all or it would be an official letter demanding work permits for rentals

As usual naysayers are twisting it into reality..next thing you know we will be told prostitution is illegal laugh.png

So, a foreign Phuket condo owner is sitting in their house in the UK, Europe, America etc, and places their condo on AirBnB.

A tourists books the condo for 2 weeks, and forwards AirBnB payment.

AirBnB forward payment to the condo owner's foreign bank account, minus commission, and the foreign condo owner is "working" in Thailand and needs a work permit. cheesy.gif

Phuket continues to embarrass itself on the world stage.

Phuket, so this is only applicable to Phuket, wow cool, im safe in Samui then giggle.gif

Can only blame the whinging Hotels, who are missing out on low season $$$$$$$$$$

another intrinsic risk in buying overseas properties.

this is rare kind of requirement that owners must have work permit

before they can rent out their units.

but the law of the country must be respected and the purchase is subject to restricted

usage like for self use only, then the authorities can enforce the

rules accordingly.

I think most of us would agree the climate is not great, but the country is great. with that said, I recommend to ONLY rent. I don't think the climate will get better for decades. if you own a condo and can sell, I would.

let's not kid ourselves, these rules are going to get worse, not better.

but LOS is still a great place to be..

Not a great place to invest apearantly.

• Like 1

everybody wants Thailand to modernise and rise above the 3rd world status

If you rent a property in the UK you have to register and pay taxes, some people do it for a living - it is their primary income and employment, why should it be any different in Thailand ?

Fair enough

Now tell us the procedure to get a WP based on letting a condo?

Yup, there isn't one; bringing in rules that are impossible to comply with is a (typical) knee jerk reaction. I'm guessing a phuket official is getting tired of having his earbent by hoteliers, so without any pre-planning, or consultation 'sugests' a rule that can't be followed.

How about creating the rules and procedures, having it reviewed and approved, and then informing the public???

• Like 1

Didn't take long for the anti condo buying doom and gloom merchants to pipe up. So just for them I'll repeat what I've said before. In my time here I've bought and sold a number of condos here (for personal use)...and always made a decent profit.