Get out and don't come back - US man and Thai wife tossed out of their own Hua Hin condo

webfact

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much more to this than has been reported.

If they are the legal owners nobody can just change the locks and tell them do not come back.

Do you want to bet. This is one of Thailand's favourite tactics.

I had the same thing happen to me once over a car I bought. The villagers where I lived just wanted to keep it and me to be gone.

They threatened me with one local police guy who must have been equal to about a constable. Too bad my good friend was Chief of local detectives. He drove out there and the local constable was on his knees in front of me but if not then it would have been adios to the car.

This goes on everywhere.

It is just a shake down by local thugs.

Same here, some villagers showed up 3 times in the last 10 years, however the matter was always sorted in less than an hour.

Their reasons was always that i am a "falang" and this is Thailand so they felt entitled to take all my belongings without adding anything extra to their argumentation, it's not uncommon at all, just played down and unreported to save face, you know how those things goes around here, sometimes i just wonder how comes they haven't made a law yet to legalize this practice....

If they are the legal owners nobody can just change the locks and tell them do not come back.

I had the same thing happen to me once over a car I bought. The villagers where I lived just wanted to keep it and me to be gone.

They threatened me with one local police guy who must have been equal to about a constable. Too bad my good friend was Chief of local detectives. He drove out there and the local constable was on his knees in front of me but if not then it would have been adios to the car.

This goes on everywhere.

Same here, some villagers showed up 3 times in the last 10 years, however the matter was always sorted in less than an hour.

Their reasons was always that i am a "falang" and this is Thailand so they felt entitled to take all my belongings without adding anything extra to their argumentation, it's not uncommon at all, just played down and unreported to save face, you know how those things goes around here, sometimes i just wonder how comes they haven't made a law yet to legalize this practice....

1) If you live in the rural make sure you live with a good thai family that is on your side (a wife, her parents/grand parents).

2) Make sure ahead of time your family is in good with the local police (lots of family dinners out together)

3) Make sure every knows #2

4) Own a gun (thais can buy one easy enough).

5) If they come threatening, shoot first and call your embassy later with a good story.

Note: Same rules apply everywhere in the world, not just Thailand. It's what you pay if you want to live in the rural area.

As for owning a condo in Thailand:

Only buy one cheap enough that you don't mind tossing the money away. Laws change, games are played, you could end up with more grief than not. Even if you win in court it could take time.

No idea what happened here, probably more to it then is described.

Note: should only do #5 if it looks like they might get violent. Don't only threaten (they will come back later when you sleep) but do and run and probably never return to the village.

Village life sucks (in any country).

I love reading the posts on topics like this by the all-knowing TV members. There should be a sign on arrival to Thailand to join TV because if you're a member of TV you will never get mugged off by a wife, girl friend, never get bullied or threatened by local mafia etc and enjoy the feeling of grandiose smugness of other who do fall foul to scams and cons.

Maybe that's why they call it a forum.

Really?

In Thailand anything can happen.Maybe they did not buy it from the legal owner.That has happened before here.they need a lawer or their own group of "toughs".

Again, I put my feet up, relax and say

Thanks that I rent!!

And I say thanks that you rent and pay me also while my property increases in price.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif ..........if it helps you sleep at night......Somebody's in for a rude shock!

If it helps that others sleep better at night ..... I could tell some stories, but don't want to burst your bubbles ...night night..sleep tight ..don't let the landlord bite

Never buy a gun in Thailand and if you have one never threaten anyone with it. If you do- you are headed for a body bag. In all the years i have been in Thailand- a thai does not show up unannounced and threaten anyone unless money is involved. The story in Huan Hin has missing pieces. If the couple have a Chanot (deed) registered with the land office and fully paid- I cannot see any way anyone can threaten the family. If the Condo has debts; the land has debts or there are payment issues- then that is a different story.

Regarding a situation where one has a car legally registered in ones name and with a proper number plate and tax sticker in the window- there is no way people show up and demand the car because you are a 'farang'. If it did happen- it would be a group of local thugs/mafia and i would contact the DSI in Bangkok immediately and my Embassy and get the hell out of the village-forever- with my car. If they took it from me- I would make a police report and file an insurance claim. Trying to confront people in Thailand is a bad idea.

All a bit strange , a hint if you buy a condo- always put new ( super secure) locks on your front door.

It's so easy to make key copies.

If everything was above board and she has the chanote and was processed through the land office- how can she be thrown out of her own property?

There must be more to this story.

Reason #733 to never buy property in Thailand

It all depends if you wish to live in an environment with cheap furniture, bright green nylon curtains etc

If you buy in a decent condominium- there will be no problems and you can create a personlised home .

I don't put anything past the condo management companies in Thailand...where I lived in BKK, the management stole more than 1 million baht from the residents in less than a year...and routinely stole the money from the laundry and water dispensers...they extorted money from residents and even damaged property so their friends' could be paid to repair damaged elevators and such...they even built a small storage unit that was actually a scam to launder more money...this was not just one group of people, but generations of employees...I have yet to meet a Thai that I'm certain is honest...

This goes on everywhere.

the matter was always sorted in less than an hour.

Does that mean you gave them everything you had ?

And then they came back 2 times after you acquired some new possesions worth robbing?

Have a bit of coffee when you wake up and take a look at where you are. One thing you can be sure of, you aren't in Kansas, Toto.

....the degree to which such incidents occur...and go unchecked......and unreported is alarming...

...wonder when such flagrant corruption against well-intentioned foreigners...... will stop.....

...I don't see anything being done by the present government.....

....all this talk about 'human rights' and 'joining the international community'......

...I just want to puke.......

Another foreigner bilked out of 4.3M baht.

Was it his wife? was it the condo juristic? is there a hidden story? ....... does it really matter?

Better to rent in 3rd world countries, then if there's a problem you can just move somewhere else.

Judging by your previous posts you are an expert in these matters.

I have no experience in renting in third world countries and have no desire to do so..whether it be Papua New Guinea or Sub-Saharan Africa.

I have however visited some third world countries...have you?

Is it expensive to rent there?

The wife and I share a very nice home in a great country (actually we have two homes in two countries) . One is in Australia and the other is in Thailand....neither of which are third world countries by any stretch of the imagination.

Actually I'll qualify that statement...neither of which are third world countries except in the minds of the ageing newly minted Thailand retiree who has never been anywhere except their home country and similar countries close by and must try and keep up with the rest of the whiners...in fact try and outdo them in that peculiar British fashion.

Keep perpetuating the myths you read on TV...we need fresh meat to chuckle at as the more ancient bitter expats either go home or die and stop their sad postings.

Another foreigner bilked out of 4.3M baht.

Better to rent in 3rd world countries, then if there's a problem you can just move somewhere else.

In first world countries as well for that matter!!....

I just sit back and smirk at all the sheeple who continue to get indebted to the eyeballs,and wonder why they are so stressed and miserable!t

Let the well-off landlord pay for that broken hot water system i say!.....

They claim to own the place. They are the landlord

Better to rent in 3rd world countries,

i agree 100%

Then please do...I hear Mogadishu is quite nice this time of year.

Cheap rents anywhere in ISIS territory too I believe.

Don't forget to send a postcard.

....the degree to which such incidents occur...and go unchecked......and unreported is alarming...

...wonder when such flagrant corruption against well-intentioned foreigners...... will stop.....

...I don't see anything being done by the present government.....

....all this talk about 'human rights' and 'joining the international community'......

...I just want to puke.......

If it goes unreported...how can you deduce the frequency of such incidents?

A friend of a friend who told and posted on TV is hardly factual information.

I would guess...and yes it's only a guess that 99% of 'farang' don't have any problems in Thailand and the other 1% would have problems anywhere they lived.

who name was the condo in? maybe the wife hasn't go the face to him she has sold it ?

Or was pressured to sell it with a gun to her or her family member's head. Or she tried leasing it out to make some money on the side while the US guy was not in country.

People need to realise you don't need a gun to stand up for yourself in Thailand. If someone is being aggressive with you all you need to do is look them in the eye and poke them in the forehead and make a funny face like this.

3627f844bbe69ea99d4516180978fef4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Incorrect, i did years ago with a foreigner ho was on drugs and alcohol and causes problem for the whole floor.

Police reports from owners on same floor and it went to court, he had to move out.

I have to say difficult and lots of time but is possible, specialy because lots of children on same floor.

Archived