Any condos in Old City for sale to farangs?

jobin

Any condos at all within the moat area? And if so, are any structured to permit condo ownership by a farang?

I searched google but could only find condos within 'city', an area much larger than 'old town'. And since the old town restricts height of buildings to 4 stories, ground plus 3, maybe none exist.

And, while i have your attention, could a farang buy a house and rent the land with a 30 yr lease, within the moat?

there are some condominiums next to Power Buy. they did look O.K. but now they are completely obstructed by the construction by a row of shop fronts, which will eventually give the condo dwellers a lovely view of garbage cans, junk stacked up all over, delivery trucks, and rats scurrying around to get to the trash. pretty much worthless real estate at this point. i have no idea if foreigners are allowed to purchase them or not - but who would want to?

My standard advice is to never buy property in Thailand. Buying a condo was always a bad financial decision. With the new laws being enforced (no renting of a property under 30 days) buying a condo makes no sense.

My standard advice is to never buy property in Thailand. Buying a condo was always a bad financial decision. With the new laws being enforced (no renting of a property under 30 days) buying a condo makes no sense.

Unless you're intending to live in it or rent it out long term that is?For me the biggest bugbear is the management company,who invariably are Thai and will generally at some point run off with all the money for maintenance etc!

many, many communities have the same restrictions. It actually protects owners from people running short time hotels out of their condos. It causes extra work for security, cleaning staff, and causes a lot of ruckus on move out days.

All the owners I know go for 6 or 12 months contracts and this restriction does not affect any of us

there are some condominiums next to Power Buy. they did look O.K. but now they are completely obstructed by the construction by a row of shop fronts, which will eventually give the condo dwellers a lovely view of garbage cans, junk stacked up all over, delivery trucks, and rats scurrying around to get to the trash. pretty much worthless real estate at this point. i have no idea if foreigners are allowed to purchase them or not - but who would want to?

that's not in the "old city"

(a) that wasn't the question so unhelpful answer

(B) I've owned dozens of condos here and was always a good financial decision

© buying a condo DOES make perfect sense even if you didn't wan't to live in it rent it out for 231 days.

Please try to stick to the topic particularly when the advice that you offer is rubbish

That height restriction has been extended, the red zone as it is called....to protect the inner city from high rise development.

Good thinking to maintain a point of difference. About a 2 kilometer radius outside of the old city also has these height restrictions on any future development........

From Tha Pae Gate to train station is 2.2 km, google. So that massive hi-rise near train station is OK, and since it precludes the 'new, bigger red zone' it's also OKOK.

Gud to know. I could well imagine a CM of low thatched houses, innumerable, and colorful, trees and vines, the occasional well-muffled motorbike, smoky 'maryjane-in-the-air' coffee shops all operating in harmony to create an ambiance of quiet and beauty.

What new laws? I missed the memo.

many, many communities have the same restrictions. It actually protects owners from people running short time hotels out of their condos. It causes extra work for security, cleaning staff, and causes a lot of ruckus on move out days.

Interesting. Never seen such rules before.

A stab at stopping airbnb rentals perhaps?