Emperor of Japan “plans to abdicate” in unprecedented move

webfact

Emperor of Japan “plans to abdicate” in unprecedented move
By Luke Barber

606x341_338543.jpg

TOKYO: -- Japan’s Emperor Akihoto has expressed a desire to abdicate the Chrysanthemum Throne in the next few years, according to reports.

The country’s public broadcaster NHK announced the decision after an unnamed palace source informed them of the monarch’s decision.

The 82-year-old has suffered from health problems in recent years and reportedly does not wish to remain as Emperor if he cannot perform all of his official duties.

However, an official palace spokesman said there was no official plan for the Emperor to abdicate, something that has not happened in Japan for close to 200 years – Emperor Kokaku being the last to give up the throne in 1817.

Crown Prince Naruhito, 56, is next in line to the throne of Japan, although in order for Emperor Akihoto to abdicate a change would have to be made to the Imperial Household Law, which stipulates the rules of succession and would have to be approved by Japan’s parliament.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-07-14

Bye bye. We won't miss you. What have you done? smiled and waved and attended functions? .....and use up a whole lot of public funds.

Yeah, pretty much what every other constitutional monarch does. What's your point, are you Japanese?

Bye bye. We won't miss you. What have you done? smiled and waved and attended functions? .....and use up a whole lot of public funds.

Yeah, I am sure if we listed his accomplishments next to yours he would be ashamed. In the words of Steve Jobs "What have you ever done that is so great? "

Yeah, I am sure if we listed his accomplishments next to yours he would be ashamed. In the words of Steve Jobs "What have you ever done that is so great? "

In the words of Steve Jobs "What have you ever done that is so great? "

The Steve have brought lot of employment to the 12 yrs old chinese kids! what a role model

The emperor of Japan writes articles on fish and drives a 15 year old Honda and actually spends very little money. The functions he presides over would occur whether he was emperor or not. Maybe you can just admit you were barking up the wrong tree?

http://asianhistory.about.com/od/governmentandlaw/a/JapaneseEmp.htm

Is this the lavish lifestyle that so offends you?

"Emperor Akihito's mild manner, distinct lack of hauteur, and express contriteness for the past have gone some way toward repairing relations with such neighbors as China, South Korea, and the Philippines."

Edited by anotheruser

.....'in the next few years'....???

He cannot legally abdicate right now, he is basically telling the parliament that they have to start changing the law/constitution to allow for it now (Japanese parliament can be quite slow to change things that are related to tradition etc.)

In the mean time he will probably start handing over more ceremonial duties to his son and start the transition.

He will abdicate only when he thinks the world has forgotten about the bayoneting of pregnant women in the 1930s on the orders of his Father Like all Japaneese they should have been castrated at birth except for the support of the USA. They are responsible for more mass murder and genocide than any other nation in history. Google it.

He will abdicate only when he thinks the world has forgotten about the bayoneting of pregnant women in the 1930s on the orders of his Father Like all Japaneese they should have been castrated at birth except for the support of the USA. They are responsible for more mass murder and genocide than any other nation in history. Google it.

Oh wow.. blaming current japanese for things done in the past. In the USA they used blankets with small pocks to exterminate the natives, and killed their food-source to exterminate the natives, did some nasty things later in May Lai. Its hard to list all the crimes the Brits did to get their empire, the Dutch had some war-crimes in Indonesia. We know what the Germans did, the Turks exterminated the Armenians, the Ozzies did not so nice things with the aboriginals. I guess there are bad things to find for almost anyone. Canadians might be the exceptioncheesy.gif .

Anyway, I am Dutch and feel in no way responsible for the war crimes in Indonesia, why would the Japanese be any different. Holding people responsible for the crime of their ancestors or even fellow countrymen is crazy. Only those who committed the crimes or ordered them are.

Edited by robblok

It is fortunate, for him and the Japanese people, that the circumstances are such that he is able to "quit while he is ahead" without being troubled by what may occur after he steps down.

That is the reward for cleverly integrating the past and present into a version of modernity that enabled Japan to become, and remain (present economic difficulties notwithstanding) an outstanding example of what an Asian nation can achieve.

So tragic that some other Asian countries failed, and continue to fail, to emulate them.

The NY Times article speculates this may be an attempt to provide a counterpoint to PM Abe's stated desire to change the constitution to allow japan to take a more aggressive stance with its military. The crown prince is apparently an avowed pacifist that does not favor the change and may be willing to take a more activist role.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/14/world/asia/emperor-akihito-abdicate.html?ref=world

TH

change the constitution to allow japan to take a more aggressive stance with its military

although i would normally agree with this point,,, as with the US, they just cant afford it

they are in severe debt, they just cant print any more money.

Is there another reason ?

if, say, he has been secretly diagnosed to be approaching some early early stages of something like Dementia/Alzheimers,

then what he has done is to make his wishes known,

- before he is no longer able to make that (or ANY) decision later...

Try reading this again...

"Emperor Akihito's mild manner, distinct lack of hauteur, and express contriteness for the past have gone some way toward repairing relations with such neighbors as China, South Korea, and the Philippines."

You should probably rethink what you think about his motives for abdicating as he and his son are known to be pacifists. Congratulations for making the most ignorant post of the day on TV.

The Steve have brought lot of employment to the 12 yrs old chinese kids! what a role model

and really good safe places to live with lots of barbed wire fences around them and

strong leaders to help them grow up with discipline

enjoying the usual 16 hour day of handling toxic cancer causing chemicals

Steve did so little for so few...

but was so very full of it...

Oh wow.. blaming current japanese for things done in the past. In the USA they used blankets with small pocks to exterminate the natives, and killed their food-source to exterminate the natives, did some nasty things later in May Lai. Its hard to list all the crimes the Brits did to get their empire, the Dutch had some war-crimes in Indonesia. We know what the Germans did, the Turks exterminated the Armenians, the Ozzies did not so nice things with the aboriginals. I guess there are bad things to find for almost anyone. Canadians might be the exceptioncheesy.gif .

Anyway, I am Dutch and feel in no way responsible for the war crimes in Indonesia, why would the Japanese be any different. Holding people responsible for the crime of their ancestors or even fellow countrymen is crazy. Only those who committed the crimes or ordered them are.

...EXCEPT when the current generation embraces the atrocities of the past by beginning to venerate those who committed them. You've applied yourself to a one-sided view of history. Try ALSO reading about the modern-day treatment of WWII in Japanese public schools, and maybe a little about the Yasukuni shrine. Then travel to Kanchanaburi, or the Arizona Memorial in Hawaii, and observe how Japanese tourists behave at these war memorials.

What a Dumb and Stupid thing to say.

...EXCEPT when the current generation embraces the atrocities of the past by beginning to venerate those who committed them. You've applied yourself to a one-sided view of history. Try ALSO reading about the modern-day treatment of WWII in Japanese public schools, and maybe a little about the Yasukuni shrine. Then travel to Kanchanaburi, or the Arizona Memorial in Hawaii, and observe how Japanese tourists behave at these war memorials.

I thought this was a discussion of the current emperor abdicating? Not how tourists act in certain areas or the infamous Yasukuni jinja. Maybe you should criticize Abe but if your focus is on the current emperor you got the wrong guy.

Without which, some of these 12 year olds might be forced to peddle their other "wares".

So Georges, what have you ever done that is so great?

What a Dumb and Stupid thing to say.

Well welcome to the sublime sport of Arguing on the Internet.

His father was almost arrested as a war criminal by the American forces after world war 2, and probably should have been.

So should the American President at the time Harry S. Truman.... when you directly target vastly more civilians than military in an attack the civilians cannot be considered collateral damage but targeted. It was an act that was meant to terrorize Japan and it's population into making a political change (i.e. surrender).... which is basically the definition of terrorism.

I am not saying I would not have done the same thing, but in an honest assessment it was a war crime.

I thought this was a discussion of the current emperor abdicating? Not how tourists act in certain areas or the infamous Yasukuni jinja. Maybe you should criticize Abe but if your focus is on the current emperor you got the wrong guy.

I was responding to the post I quoted. If you've got a problem with that, take it up with ITS author. I've got little issue with the current emperor specifically, but the Japanese "emperorship" was badly tarnished by his father, who found his decency only with his country on the brink of incineration. What happens to this emperor is of little relevance to most anybody outside the line of succession.

This is bizarre thread. Why do people always look at the world through the prism of WWII ?

Some do as a justification for racism.... not saying this was the case here.

Brings back a memory....

I do remember a friend (visiting from Scotland) of my sister some 25 years ago made some very racist comments about some "Japanese" (other label for that) and his excuse was that his father was in a camp during World War II (was not even him).... which was actually quite funny because I had to tell him that the person in question was most likely a Hong Kong native originally - you know "our side" and was also not born until after.... . Hmmm.... now come to think of it that was the last time I heard or saw that friend.... maybe my sister was not too impressed either tongue.png

BTW, Was there not a King of England that killed some boys ohmy.png

Oh and there were definitely atrocities created in the English thrones name during the expansion of the Empire where the Sun never set (that "could" have ended badly - just history was on England's side apparently since it is still allowed to exist)

Edited by bkkcanuck8