Thai Tourism Minister to discuss insurance cover for tourists

webfact

The idea of having a set medical coverage based on your time in country is not that bad an idea.

There would have to be a lot of work done but if they got the Chambers of Commerce from the various countries together I am sure that something could be done. Just keep the Embassies out of it.

I for one would rather pay someone here and know exactly what I am getting versus having to get permission form an International company the way it is now.

Possibly have a fee for those that are coming in for the 30 day and with each renewal you have to pay as part of the agreement

Those of us on yearly could for simplicity just have a fee that we have to pay either to Immigration or to the Health government that gets us a card that is stamped yearly.

Granted it will not get us service inn BNH or the 5 star hospitals but it would get us looked after in most others.

As to the government getting ripped off personally I don't care as long as the hospital looks after me.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually a number of us hassled by Thai immigration have canceled our Bumrungrad sponsored policies. Find this extremely funny.

A vending machine that sells insurance comes to mind. Offer a nice carrot for buying insurance like a free taxi ride to a hotel,

some money off on a dinner somewhere or a message.

She said that many parties have objected to the plan to use the government budget for this insurance scheme.

I agree, why should my taxes pay for a foreigners medical expenses - just ask the foreigners when entering the country to show proof of medical insurance to an agreed amount before a Visa is granted

That fine, but some tourists cannot get insurance for health or age reasons,so should they be restricted from coming to Thailand? If a universal fee is charged & applied to airfares, so that all travellers have, some kind of basic insurance to cover emergency illnesses, accidents, etc + evacuation cover, would at least avoid problem encountered by recent British traveller & family. Such a fee should apply to all travellers, not just Thailand.

She said that many parties have objected to the plan to use the government budget for this insurance scheme.

I agree, why should my taxes pay for a foreigners medical expenses - just ask the foreigners when entering the country to show proof of medical insurance to an agreed amount before a Visa is granted

I am afraid commercial parties agree with you, for obvious reasons.

What Thailand needs is a health insurance scheme available to anyone, Thai and expats/tourists, run by commercial parties, available to all for a reasonable premium.

Cannot be done?

Oh yes, can be done.

It is in The Netherlands.

The basic scheme is compulsory, while the insurance companies have a duty to accept without any restriction.

A variation, only for hospitalisation in state hospitals, would be possible and profitable for a monthly premium of 2000-2500 baht a month.

If offered by state hospitals to Thai and foreigners living in Thailand, the outstanding debts from unpaid bills would disappear.

If offered by private parties as a basic health insurance, it would be profitable.

Additional benefits, private rooms, private hospitals etc, could be sold to customers for additional premiums.

Missed chances.......

what would you get for 6 baht?

30 baht scheme

I would go for that in a heart beat. Sure, using a govt hospital under the 30 baht scheme can sometimes mean long waits, but you still get medicare care, free meds, surgery, etc. After being personally involved in the 30 baht scheme with Thai in-laws and friends, it's definitely a good deal since Thai don't pay any premiums to get the care...nor is money taken from their paychecks. Sure you will hear some Thais bitch about the 30 baht scheme and some horror stories (of course you hear horror stories for any country's private or public medical systems), but those same Thais would rise up in revolt if the govt tried to scrap it, require monthly premiums, etc. I know my Thai in-laws consider the 30 baht program the most important benefit they have.

And I can't see the Thai govt ever allowing farangs to have access to the 30 baht program. Say you are in your home country, you develop a major disease, you don't have private or govt medical coverage, you decide to just move to Thailand because you know you'll be covered under the 30 baht medical scheme....you get the necessary medical care and hopefully get better/cured. Hey, let's move back to the home country...or no, just stay in Thailand to await the next disease/accident that strikes you. And all covered under the 30 baht scheme with no premiums/co pays....well, maybe a 6 baht premium and 30 baht copay. Yes, I've seen posts over the years where some typical farangs in Thailand say they got signup for 30 baht scheme coverage, but I expect that occurred as a mistake by some local officials.

Won't happen our lifetime except maybe allowing farangs to use the 30 baht program if paying a healthy monthly premium which probably would not cover any previous/current medical conditions with additional fine print.

In my local area you can have the 30 bht cover.....you need the yellow house book....a medical every 12 months which includes Chest X ray..blood test, urine test.and a fee of 1900 baht a year....only draw back is ...if i am ill i must go to my local hospital first...if its serious they can send me to a better bigger hospital but they have to send me...i get all my tablets and treatments for 30 bht a time...dental not covered...and a friend of mine on the same scheme had a bad accident requiring 3 operation including metal pins and plates in his badly smashed foot....his total cost was 30 baht...and he now walks 100% perfect.....

Tourism Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul continues, on a daily basis, to demonstrate her ignorance, naivete, lack of experience in the tourism field, lack of common sense, reason, or intelligence, when it comes to operating a tourism department. She is in so far over her head, and the incompetent people who appointed her have no idea, do not seem to care, or are so out of touch, that they have not even considered any of this.

The idea of offering some sort of insurance plan for travelers is basically a good one. But, to insist that it be mandatory, and to insist that travelers pay for it, whether they want it or not, may be a little over the top. And chances are, the coverage will be lousy anyway.

The Tourism Minister added that there has been a suggestion to incorporate this expense with other costs of travel, such as the visa fee or as an air fare add-on, but the idea is complicated by the fact that there are many airlines operating to Thailand and the number is increasing.

The idea is not only complicated by the number of airlines, but also by the fact that not all tourists arrive by plane..., but you must have thought about that, right?

5 bahts on every plane ticket, and 10-20 Bahts for people entering the country through borders (because they might stay longer, the risk is higher)
That would save many people a lot of troubles.
Of course, the insurance should only cover big bills, like over 10 000 or 50 000 THB.

this is but a scam to try to introduce a new surcharge; added to every tourist's travel arrangements, every booking, every accommodation cost etc etc

- and it will be irrelevant that you have already purchased your own Insurance from home.

or

maybe it is a Policy to cover disappointed sex tourists, for an Industry she wants removed from sight

Edited by tifino

what would you get for 6 baht?

30 baht scheme

I would go for that in a heart beat. Sure, using a govt hospital under the 30 baht scheme can sometimes mean long waits, but you still get medicare care, free meds, surgery, etc. After being personally involved in the 30 baht scheme with Thai in-laws and friends, it's definitely a good deal since Thai don't pay any premiums to get the care...nor is money taken from their paychecks. Sure you will hear some Thais bitch about the 30 baht scheme and some horror stories (of course you hear horror stories for any country's private or public medical systems), but those same Thais would rise up in revolt if the govt tried to scrap it, require monthly premiums, etc. I know my Thai in-laws consider the 30 baht program the most important benefit they have.

And I can't see the Thai govt ever allowing farangs to have access to the 30 baht program. Say you are in your home country, you develop a major disease, you don't have private or govt medical coverage, you decide to just move to Thailand because you know you'll be covered under the 30 baht medical scheme....you get the necessary medical care and hopefully get better/cured. Hey, let's move back to the home country...or no, just stay in Thailand to await the next disease/accident that strikes you. And all covered under the 30 baht scheme with no premiums/co pays....well, maybe a 6 baht premium and 30 baht copay. Yes, I've seen posts over the years where some typical farangs in Thailand say they got signup for 30 baht scheme coverage, but I expect that occurred as a mistake by some local officials.

Won't happen our lifetime except maybe allowing farangs to use the 30 baht program if paying a healthy monthly premium which probably would not cover any previous/current medical conditions with additional fine print.

Western Social Security Systems should cover the costs for basic health services for Farang pensioners. It is getting too costly to get private health insurances for many, and they deserve the same professional treatment like they would in the West.

Additionally, Western countries should acknowledge the Thai basic health scheme for those Thais that enter Europe, so Thai tourists in Europe can go there under the same conditions that Farangs get when they enter Thailand - even if they travel completely on their own and don't have any invitation from Europe.

That saying, it is Europe's turn to move, not Thailand's.

Edited by micmichd

6 baht a day... it'll be the most basic available, and they'll always find a way to put their hand out for more.

No thanks.

Better to get a good quality insurance policy with good reviews from your own country.

remember the army was bringing in some insurance to cover tourist who could not get any traveling to a country that was controlled by a military dictator? doubt that ever went any where and neither will this. basically anything they will do will increase the cost of travel for the tourist reducing the number of tourists coming here, especially the chinese. even if something was done the benefit verses cost would not be beneficial as money just vanishes in this country. think this topic has been done many times before and the result will be the same.

6 baht a day... it'll be the most basic available, and they'll always find a way to put their hand out for more.

No thanks.

Better to get a good quality insurance policy with good reviews from your own country.

Some Farangs don't have a country they can call their own. Orphans like me don't. But I paid into the social system all life long, and I consider it a social contract. It would even be cheaper for some Western countries (like rich Germany) to extend their social contracts with Thailand.

Would it not be a good idea to cover everyone, not just tourists. For example a bond system where the expat long stayers on whatever type of visa, deposits, let’s say for arguments sake between Married visa 400K and retirement visa 800K, 600K?

The bond would be held for the duration of the stay and it would cover all medical, repatriation cost. Etc.

I think you'd find the age of retirees and pre-existing conditions would not have insurers willing to take on the risk.

Basically, however, it's what I do. Medical insurance when you are over 70 is horrendously expensive. So I keep 500,000 baht on deposit specifically for medical emergencies.

Looks like the Tourist Minister has a program, and this proposal might only be the first step - in her resort, and only addressed to tourists that already contribute to the social security system in the country they come from. Students normally do.

Would it not be a good idea to cover everyone, not just tourists. For example a bond system where the expat long stayers on whatever type of visa, deposits, let’s say for arguments sake between Married visa 400K and retirement visa 800K, 600K?

The bond would be held for the duration of the stay and it would cover all medical, repatriation cost. Etc.

I think you'd find the age of retirees and pre-existing conditions would not have insurers willing to take on the risk.

Basically, however, it's what I do. Medical insurance when you are over 70 is horrendously expensive. So I keep 500,000 baht on deposit specifically for medical emergencies.

I am talking about eliminating various financial visa requirements including the Thai Elite and make it one requirement across the board for long term stay. So instead of the 400k for a married visa and 800k for a retirement visa, the government would hold 600k as surety and it would be refunded with any usage and admin cost deducted once the person leaves.

It would not eliminate the need for 90 reporting, but it would multi-entry and only once you had applied on the basis of permanent departure would the surety be returned.

I just see it as a fairer system all round especially for the under 50's who do not qualify for long stay visas, i.e are not married to a Thai.

Some sort of requirement for long-stayers probably wouldn't be unreasonable IF it went with an effective mechanism to combat the overcharging. I just don't see that last bit ever happening. Also institute a simple blacklisting policy that bans for life anyone who fails to pay their hospital bills (that would apply to ALL foreigners, not just longstayers). Make the blacklist available to other countries on a reciprocal basis so that the deadbeats might find themselves banned elsewhere as well (and from Thailand for skipping out in other countries).

Edited by hawker9000

I think that all tourists and expats should show proof of health insurance, it doesn't cost a fortune, and it's definitely necessary.

Good for everyone all round.

If you can get it, agewise, exclusionwise

many country consulates ask to see a copy of the travel insurance policy before approving a visa. a 30 day waiver travel insurance policy can be bought and paid at the airport say 3,000 baht before being allowed entry. If you stay longer than the policy period you will be billed the extra period on the way out. Like overstaying your policy period

More Rubbish from this lady, look at the income from tourism, your Hospitals should stop dual pricing, and for god stake stop whingeing , or you may see a serious downturn in tourism

Tourists come and spend a lot of money but they want to capture it all. There is a cost to doing business tourist business included. I am sure there is lots of profit left over. They must be deriving a lot of money from tourism otherwise they would not so jealously guard it against criticism. They want to be like banks with all their add on charges. I better quit now before I get the "You have posted more than the allowed number of quoted blocks of text" I must learn the new text speak I guess.

Simple. You MUST get Thai insurance from Thai company. 2,000 baht per month, every tourist. then co-pays, etc...

If they think you came in with a pre-existing condition (like just to have surgery in Thailand, or something very serious);, fraud, prison, blacklisted, and you will PAY before you leave!!!!!!

But if you explain the condition, no worries......but now deposit and more baht per month........yes, you can pay yearly or quarterly!!!

If you wait and buy before immigration, 2500 baht!!!!

Think about the millions of baht Thailand makes on medical tourism.

People actually come here with serious illnesses to have medical treatment.

Yes, of course they have budgeted for the treatment, but maybe they have no insurance and will pay cash.

many country consulates ask to see a copy of the travel insurance policy before approving a visa. a 30 day waiver travel insurance policy can be bought and paid at the airport say 3,000 baht before being allowed entry. If you stay longer than the policy period you will be billed the extra period on the way out. Like overstaying your policy period

That would be the ideal solution.

The invited parties are what's interesting to me: representatives from the Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited, the Immigration Bureau and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. These three groups need more profit, especially AoT and Immigration wink.png . Anyone who really thinks this is only going to cost 6 baht is very naive. It will be enforced upon tourists without travel insurance. To be paid at the Immigration counter at entry. More like several 1000's of baht