Activist monk urges monks and Buddhists to stand up against “threats” against Buddhism

webfact

Activist monk urges monks and Buddhists to stand up against “threats” against Buddhism

image-wpcf_693x413.png

BANGKOK: -- Buddhist monks and lay people were urged to wake up and to join forces to brace for what was alleged to be an unprecendent organized threat against the monastic order and Buddhism.

The “wake up” call was made by Phra Methithammajarn, secretar-general of Buddhism Protection Centre and a vocal supporter of Wat Dhammakaya and acting supreme patriarch Somdet Chuang in a message posted on his Facebook page on Sunday.

The monk claimed that Buddhism in Thailand is mired in an unusual situation in which several groups of people of different powers ganging up to push the monastic into the corner by making false allegations to discredit monks as a whole, citing the vintage luxury scandal against Somdet Chuan, the abbot of Wat Paknam Phasicharoen and the Sangha Supreme Council.

Phra Methithammajarn said that the ill-intent elements were able to do this because the monastic order itself is weak and is not united.

He then called upon all Buddhist monks and Buddhist lay people to be aware of the threats and to join forces to protect the monastic order and Buddhism.

“Please wake up, we are surrounded by dangers – so many dangers – how long the future of Buddhism in this country will last. If we do not to stand up to protect us, who will protect us?” said the monk in his message.

The “wake up” call followed a recent announcement by the Department of Special Investigation of the findings on the vintage car scandal which show that Somdet Chuang may face charge of tax evasion regarding the import of a used Mercedes Benz vintage car in the form of spare parts.

Earlier Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha brushed aside the threat made by Phra Methithammajarn, making it clear that anybody – be him a monk or a lay person – will be dealt with in accordance with the law if he defies the law.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/activist-monk-urges-monks-buddhists-stand-threats-buddhism/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-25

Thai monks are the biggest threat to Buddhism.

Don't worry, just standby for the apologists to claim they're not ' real ' monks.

They may be up to all sorts of things that are against the principles of Buddhism etc but if they'e been ordained they're still monks until defrocked .

........... be him a monk or a lay person will be dealt with

in accordance with the law if he defies the law.........

That's good news........

I am looking forward to see the "untouchable" touched

​by the consequences of their actions according to the law.

........... be him a monk or a lay person will be dealt with

in accordance with the law if he defies the law.........

That's good news........

I am looking forward to see the "untouchable" touched

​by the consequences of their actions according to the law.

The track record to date isn't too good is it ?

More ' right things to say ' from the PM but actual action ... ?

The ones who should be vocal are the heads of the Buddhist council.

Nearly every day monks are in the headlines for committing outrageous acts involving sex drugs or money.

Get your house in order start ridding your religion of these fake monks and get some respect back and then you can talk about perceived threats from outside sources with some authority.

That's about the stupidest thing I've read here. Not surprisingly the 3 main Thai/Buddist bashers are quick to like the post and jump in with inane remarks about an interesting article.

Threats to Buddism !! Biggest threat comes from GREEDY self- centred money grabbing monks.

Monks are brain washing poor innocent naive people.

I suggest you go to your local temple and talk to the monks you might be quite surprised at the number of good men there.

Even better, ever thought of ordaining to get rid of your resentment against them. I wonder if your wife is Buddhist and that's why the hatred towards monks? Did you have to make your own breakfast this morning?

Fighting to keep hold of their privileges.

If you're sitting in a temple eating 2 meals a day, meditating and acting according to the teachings, why would anyone have anything againsLooking at the photo above

Looking at the photo above, those must be 2 very large meals. Doesn't leave a lot of time for meditating.

Threats to Buddism !! Biggest threat comes from GREEDY self- centred money grabbing monks.

I suggest you go to your local temple and talk to the monks you might be quite surprised at the number of good men there.

Even better, ever thought of ordaining to get rid of your resentment against them. I wonder if your wife is Buddhist and that's why the hatred towards monks? Did you have to make your own breakfast this morning?

Well done, right on cue !

This isn't about the good ones it's about the amount of bad ones around and how they seem to get away with almost anything.

In deed, Wake Up, and stop turning a blind eye to many rouge monks and abbots among you lot,

if you see something, say something, you guys are no better than the rest of us that need to

okay the laws and be a good and honest human being, granted, most monks are what they're

suppose to be and do, don't let a bunch of bad rotten apples spoil the whole cart.....

I have been to our local temple, but cannot find any good men there.

Many villagers here, my wife and her family included refuse to go there because the Abbot refuses to disclose accounts etc.

Most people here go to the next temple.

Also a few years ago i went to the temple with my wife, it was a Buddist holiday.

Many people my wife included got up early cooked food for the monks, we went to the temple, my wife went inside to offer her food, money, flowers for the monks.

I went walk about. Behind the temple i saw 3 monks taking bags of food donated by poor villagers, and they were throwing the full contents ( unopened) to the temple dogs. A damn disgrace in my opinion.

Also please keep your disgusting remarks about me making my own breakfast to yourself. Being paraplegic is difficult enough without your smart a..e comments

Further to my last post.

Recently about 11 in the morning there were 2 monks outside my gate begging for money.

I thought give them something, as some neighbours were watching.

I dragged myself up the drive got my wallet, went back to the gate.

I gave them 20 baht each. 1 monk threw his 20 baht on the ground and said !! roi nung !!

In English 100 baht. Well you do not have to ask what i told them.

That's about the stupidest thing I've read here. Not surprisingly the 3 main Thai/Buddist bashers are quick to like the post and jump in with inane remarks about an interesting article.

Just because the truth is stupid doesn't stop it being the truth. :rolleyes:

Don't worry, just standby for the apologists to claim they're not ' real ' monks.

They may be up to all sorts of things that are against the principles of Buddhism etc but if they'e been ordained they're still monks until defrocked .

actually it would seem some of them are more interested in lots of money and worldly luxuries and also feel they are above the law - a very common affliction in Thailand

This is the biggest threat to Thailands stability that I have seen for years, mark my words - very dangerous direction

The Rule of Law appears to be the greatest threat to Thai Buddhists as a whole, followed by fear of Islam if Phra Issara is to be believed.

I was hovering over the like button as I was reading your post then you went and spoiled it at the end with some garbage

actually it would seem some of them are more interested in lots of money and worldly luxuries and also feel they are above the law - a very common affliction in Thailand

This is the biggest threat to Thailands stability that I have seen for years, mark my words - very dangerous direction

I wonder how many start off with the highest of ideals and then become corrupted by what's going on and how many get in with ulterior motives from the start ?

They even stole Buddhism, from India.!

Stole Buddhism? Please enlighten me. or are you just showing off that you know where Buddhism started? Clever man.

It is said the Buddha was born in what is now Nepal.

So where did Buddhism originate?

“Please wake up, we are surrounded by dangers – so many dangers – how long the future of Buddhism in this country will last. If we do not to stand up to protect us, who will protect us?” said the monk in his message.

Who will protect you? Don't you make and sell amulets?

Maybe, just maybe, the structural organisation of the monkhood in Thailand is in part, or wholly, to be blamed for the "loose cannon" within the monkhood that make problems.

Maybe the organisation style of the Sangha needs to be reviewed, maybe less centralised?

They even stole Buddhism, from India.!

Stole Buddhism? Please enlighten me. or are you just showing off that you know where Buddhism started? Clever man.

It is said the Buddha was born in what is now Nepal.

So where did Buddhism originate?

It was India at the time.

I've been to Sarnath, where Lord Buddha gave his first sermon. One could argue that's where it started or Bodgaya where he gained enlightenment.

Stealing religion shouldn't be allowed. That damn Pope stole Christianity it from Israel.