Constitutional referendum brings nationwide alcohol ban

webfact

Constitutional referendum brings nationwide alcohol ban
The Phuket News

1469432096_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: -- Polling in the upcoming referendum on whether or not to allow the draft constitution to be brought into effect will incur a nationwide ban on alcohol sales at shops, bars, restaurants and hotels on Sunday, August 7.

The constitutional referendum will incur a nationwide alcohol ban on Sunday, August 7. Image: Election Commission of Thailand
“Shops and restaurants are banned from selling alcohol from 6pm on August 6 (Saturday) to midnight on August 7 (Sunday),” Phuket Provincial Police Commander Col Teeraphol Thipjaroen told The Phuket News.

Hotels are included in the alcohol ban, Col Teeraphol confirmed.

“The only places allowed to sell alcohol during the prescribed hours are duty-free stores as the alcohol cannot be consumed until it has been taken out of the country,” he said.

Election Commission Phuket office (PEC) Director Kittipong Thiengkunakrit estimated that nearly 300,000 eligible voters will be heading for the 370 polling booths set up across the island on August 7.

However, Col Teeraphol said he expected no issues with traffic jams on polling day. “The referendum will be held on a Sunday, so it should not affect people in their daily lives because most people will be at home,” he said.

“I do not think the voting will affect traffic. The polling booths will be spread across the island, not in one place,” he added.

Col Teeraphol also assured that security was not an issue in Phuket. “Don’t worry about safety or security issues on the day because officers have been assigned to keep peace and order. Safety of Phuket residents and tourists are our priority,” he said.

The referendum on August 7 will ask two questions. The first will ask whether voters accept or reject the draft constitution. (To see the “unofficial” draft constitution as posted by the Office of the United Nations Resident Coordinator in Thailand, click here).

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/constitutional-referendum-brings-nationwide-alcohol-ban-58391.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-07-25

If the polls close at 4PM, why no alcohol until midnight?

Make sure the election helpers don't see one yes vote as two tongue.png

It's worth mentioning that such rule applies to all elections/polls in the past and the future.

It's in the election law as far as I remember.

Zero surprise.

Edited by KhunBENQ

personally i can't see what going to a polling station and drinking alcohol have in common, oh yes i can " i am the boss, and make up these stupid rules because i can, so there, sit on this ".. vote for this so i can stamp on you harder.

If farangs can't vote, why should they be penalised as well? Oh yes, equality! Silly me...

Farangs can drink alcohol, they just need to buy it before the 24 hour ban.

One assumes there's nothing to stop the local electorate doing exactly the same thing..... only the need to think ahead which is often sadly lacking...!

It's Khao Phansa anyway...wai.gif

It is but during Khao Phansa the monks are also supposed to stay within their temples. Only yesterday I saw several walking around in the morning collecting alms. Just tells me that the whole idea of Khao Phansa is not stuck to especially by the monks

Most people are at home on Sunday??

They are only thinking about Bangkok as usual, the country people see no difference in any day of the week, every day is a working day.

Also in non-Bangkok people work for e.g. the government and banks.

It is but during Khao Phansa the monks are also supposed to stay within their temples. Only yesterday I saw several walking around in the morning collecting alms. Just tells me that the whole idea of Khao Phansa is not stuck to especially by the monks

Unless you take them a Big Mac they have to eat, hence Alms Rounds and the 20 THB in a pink envelope helps them as well!

They are still allowed out to collect alms and perform other acts such as funerals, marriages etc.

They are not allowed to change temples during this period.

What qualifies someone as an eligible voter? Doesn't every body get the right to vote in this country? Are women allowed to vote? It said that 300,000 qualified voters will go to the polls.There is,like 68,000,000 people in this country.if you say that,Oh,i dont know,50% account for children,prisoners,and other non qualified people.(i could be wrong) That leaves 34,000,000 voters.

i get it now,you have to have a degree,or 100,000,000 in the bank,or be one of the elite people,to get a vote.it just wouldnt be right for all the uneducated,unwashed,and the nasty labouring types to vote and put the wrong answer on the form.

What qualifies someone as an eligible voter? Doesn't every body get the right to vote in this country? Are women allowed to vote? It said that 300,000 qualified voters will go to the polls.There is,like 68,000,000 people in this country.if you say that,Oh,i dont know,50% account for children,prisoners,and other non qualified people.(i could be wrong) That leaves 34,000,000 voters.

i get it now,you have to have a degree,or 100,000,000 in the bank,or be one of the elite people,to get a vote.it just wouldnt be right for all the uneducated,unwashed,and the nasty labouring types to vote and put the wrong answer on the form.

I think you will find the 300,000 qualified voters is Phuket and not the whole country.

• 2 weeks later...