Thailand’s overall situation has improved: Govt spokesman

snoop1130

Would anyone really like to go back to before the Military took over the country? By the amount of arms and explosives confiscated from the population it would appear that an all out civil war was averted.

Name me one perfect government, please!

Some personal freedoms have been suspended while order has been restored.

At the same time, a massive clean up of civil-servant corruption and crime has been instituted by this government.

Generations of corrupt officials and organized crime can not be disposed of over-night.

If you have some constructive ideas of how to improve Thailand, for Thais, then please do illuminate us.

A profoundly ill-informed assessment of the situation in Thailand. You obviously are oblivious to the machinations that were leading u7p to the coup. It constantly amazes me how many people are totally ignorant of what is going on in the country they choose to live in.

Or simply trolling.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey, I've got a really radical and (OK, outlandish) idea: why not ask the Thai people if THEY think Thailand's overall situation has improved? I've heard that in a world far, far away there are weird things called 'general elections', where the population of a country actually gets to give a big thumbs up or thumbs down to the political administration of their country, and can even boot that administration out of office and power if its performance is unsatisfactory to the people. Could it happen here - freely and fairly? No. I really must stop indulging in dreams and foolish fantasies. Best to listen to the less-than-1-percent at the top of the country who will tell the Thai people whether their overall situation has improved or not. Yes. That is best. Of course. They (the less-than-1-percent) always know best! The rest of us - must know our place and shut up!

Oh yes, democracy works...

Where you may vote, and in come the guys and gals who promised you the world and then do exactly the opposite.

Or, in the EU, you can vote what you want, but the people in power are autocratic figures that do exactly what you do not want.

Or in the US where big business in fact makes a joke of democracy.

Or in, or in, or in

All having the same in common, voting.

And for the rest, back in your hole and shut up.

Or, like in Turkey, using "democracy" for private gain, or family gain, or group gain.

Democracy, as it now stands in nearly the whole world, is highly overrated because of the decline of real influence of the people and the misuse of democracy by the rich and big business, globalisation and power struggles between countries.

Gosh, and I was afraid of getting on someone's hit list.

TVF is everything I hoped it would be.

Thanks.

If you need alternative proposals, go to any respectable university in Thailand and there'll be scores of papers written.

But nice try. You were roasted. Accept it, you might learn a thing or two.

Edited by mesterm

Hey, I've got a really radical and (OK, outlandish) idea: why not ask the Thai people if THEY think Thailand's overall situation has improved? I've heard that in a world far, far away there are weird things called 'general elections', where the population of a country actually gets to give a big thumbs up or thumbs down to the political administration of their country, and can even boot that administration out of office and power if its performance is unsatisfactory to the people. Could it happen here - freely and fairly? No. I really must stop indulging in dreams and foolish fantasies. Best to listen to the less-than-1-percent at the top of the country who will tell the Thai people whether their overall situation has improved or not. Yes. That is best. Of course. They (the less-than-1-percent) always know best! The rest of us - must know our place and shut up!

Where you may vote, and in come the guys and gals who promised you the world and then do exactly the opposite.

Or, in the EU, you can vote what you want, but the people in power are autocratic figures that do exactly what you do not want.

Or in, or in, or in

Or, like in Turkey, using "democracy" for private gain, or family gain, or group gain.

Democracy, as it now stands in nearly the whole world, is highly overrated because of the decline of real influence of the people and the misuse of democracy by the rich and big business, globalisation and power struggles between countries.

It's a damn site better than living under any sort of dictatorship, and it's easy for us to make comparisons, as it's generally the host nations populations who are more affected by such Regimes.

We expats as outsiders as long as we conform, rarely get hounded for the same issues the residents do.

But stop kidding yourself on, you'd be up in arms if you couldn't vote, or didn't have the right to free speech, or the right to live your life, without fear of breaking laws that are made up as they go along.

Everything you embraced and EXPECTED whilst growing up in your natural country, which I'm guessing is Holland, and you enjoyed these rights, created \ by good men who bled on your fields in their tens of thousands to ensure you had the freedom of choice.

Or in, or in, or in

You could always give ISIS a whirl. You might find their system of governance more to your liking...

Would anyone really like to go back to before the Military took over the country? By the amount of arms and explosives confiscated from the population it would appear that an all out civil war was averted.

Name me one perfect government, please!

Some personal freedoms have been suspended while order has been restored.

At the same time, a massive clean up of civil-servant corruption and crime has been instituted by this government.

Generations of corrupt officials and organized crime can not be disposed of over-night.

If you have some constructive ideas of how to improve Thailand, for Thais, then please do illuminate us.

Agreed.

I sure like the Thailand of today more than the one I visited 5-6 years ago.

I would hate to see where the country would be today if not for the Junta.

and the numerous coups and junta's that have come before them.

Yes, the junta supporters claim that the present bunch might "fix" Thailand but spectacularly fail to acknowledge that Thailand has had the misfortune of being ruled by 12 juntas since 1932, and they fixed absolutely NOTHING.

When I then ask what it is about the present junta that makes them optimistic that things will be different this time the silence is deafening...blink.png

Or in, or in, or in

So, what's the alternative?

Or in, or in, or in

You could always give ISIS a whirl. You might find their system of governance more to your liking...

When Sharia Law becomes the norm across Europe, and the WASP's become the minority, they'll soon be mouthing off about their new found "democracy" from the end of a rope, or a high rise building.

Or in, or in, or in

Assimilation !! We all become BORG!! Resistance is futile :D :D

There's no real evidence those arms weren't the military's own. Members of this regime were shooting people on the streets of Bangkok in 2010 and of course students at Sanam Luang in the 1970s. No truth or accountability then so why would you trust them now. In Thailand, it's hard to take anything coming from the military, government or royalists as truth. History is evidence.

Or in, or in, or in

Assimilation !! We all become BORG!! Resistance is futile biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

No idea what that means, but it sounds about right!tongue.png

"These positive assessments are based on the country’s potentials in many areas, e.g., geographical location, infrastructure, skilled workers..."

According to a World Bank survey 83.5 per cent of the workforce in Thailand is unskilled. Same survey shows that only 38.8 per cent of workers are suitable for the job they are doing.

Or in, or in, or in

It's a damn site better than living under any sort of dictatorship, and it's easy for us to make comparisons, as it's generally the host nations populations who are more affected by such Regimes.

We expats as outsiders as long as we conform, rarely get hounded for the same issues the residents do.

But stop kidding yourself on, you'd be up in arms if you couldn't vote, or didn't have the right to free speech, or the right to live your life, without fear of breaking laws that are made up as they go along.

Everything you embraced and EXPECTED whilst growing up in your natural country, which I'm guessing is Holland, and you enjoyed these rights, created \ by good men who bled on your fields in their tens of thousands to ensure you had the freedom of choice.

Voting?

I stopped voting in my country's elections because it is useless, for the reasons mentioned earlier.

I do not trust the government any more because they change laws and rules as they go.

If I speak my mind in Holland nowadays, good chance you will end up in court, for "racism"

Oh, you are very right if you say, "I enjoyed" because that is the past.

As I see it, my forebears fought and died for freedom of oppression, and slowly that freedom is erased, by the dastardly EU and political correctness.

And I guess there are many all over Europe that think the same.

The Dutch do, as twice we voted against supranational autocratic and twice our voice was not heeded.

So that is why most people in The Netherlands do not trust Government any more.

You should think about that.

Our so-called freedoms are eroded, day by day, and we all think that by the right to vote we have a say in things.

Not any more, Sir, and you know it.

You just delude yourself by keeping up the mantra vote, vote, vote....

I am not in favour of a military takeover.

But sometimes it might be necessary.

The alternative might be worse.

But, do sleep on, keep on sending your democratic vote mantra, keep on deluding yourself about your hugely diminished freedoms, and slowly eroding freedoms.

Democracy nowadays is only possible by referendum, and the possibility to call back elected figures or replace them.

If this is not done, democracy is reduced to a 4-yearly circus of voting.

Like in the Netherlands.

Voting?

I stopped voting in my country's elections because it is useless, for the reasons mentioned earlier.

Which means you became apathetic, and no longer cared what other people said or done, and you would just go along with it.....in other words you were a sheeple, a follower, and still are to this day.

Voting?

Which means you became apathetic, and no longer cared what other people said or done, and you would just go along with it.....in other words you were a sheeple, a follower, and still are to this day.

I actually have some sympathy for what he is saying... After all you don't go into a shop and buy things you don't want, do you? What are you supposed to do if you don't like any of the candidates, unless there is a 'None of the above' option?

Voting?

I actually have some sympathy for what he is saying... After all you don't go into a shop and buy things you don't want, do you? What are you supposed to do if you don't like any of the candidates, unless there is a 'None of the above' option?

Go to another shop? people go into shops and buy useless shit they don't need all the time, everyone does it, they even buy on a whim, or buy because everyone else bought one.

It's been this way for hundreds of years, it's like winning an election with 51% of the vote, it means 49% still think you're a knob!! The bigger the majority the better it is.

Don't like what you're buying? easy, set up your own shop, after all, you know what you want to sell, and you know what people want to buy.

I hear the same crap coming from mates back in the UK, "there's nobody worth voting for, they're all useless" however, as articulate as they are, they wont speak up for themselves, wont step forward themselves, and then moan like fark because nobody is doing anything. Catch 22

Assimilation !! We all become BORG!! Resistance is futile biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

No idea what that means, but it sounds about right!tongue.png

Not a "Trekkie" then? biggrin.png

Star Wars rules!

Agreed.

Yes, the junta supporters claim that the present bunch might "fix" Thailand but spectacularly fail to acknowledge that Thailand has had the misfortune of being ruled by 12 juntas since 1932, and they fixed absolutely NOTHING.

When I then ask what it is about the present junta that makes them optimistic that things will be different this time the silence is deafening...blink.png

I have read a bit about the past Juntas but I was not around to experience the before & after.

This time ai have been and I see a positive change.

Most of the TVF community complains about everything like they are suffering hangovers so I tend not to listen to much to their opinions.

What have the Thai people told you about their opinions?

I heard some beach unpmbrella touts are not real happy with the whole thing.

Edited by ClutchClark

Agreed.

I have read a bit about the past Juntas but I was not around to experience the before & after.

Most of the TVF community complains about everything like they are suffering hangovers so I tend not to listen to much to their opinions.

What positive changes have you seen, apart from cleaner beaches, because as sure as there's shit in a dog, you can't see what lies beneath the surface.

Most of the TVF community have heard the same bullshit being told over and over an over (19 times now) over and over again, NOTHING changes, the common denominator in all the political strife this country has seen since the 1930's is the Army, they can't stop interfering.

as for what Thai people tell you, most wont tell people they don't know anything, there's some posters here who would take great pleasure in "dobbing" people in, to enhance their own status within the Kingdom.

it's what the people are NOT saying that's the worrying factor.

But it's also quite obvious that your posts are designed to actually be inflammatory in nature and to provoke reactions.

Agreed.

What positive changes have you seen, apart from cleaner beaches, because as sure as there's shit in a dog, you can't see what lies beneath the surface.

Most of the TVF community have heard the same bullshit being told over and over an over (19 times now) over and over again, NOTHING changes, the common denominator in all the political strife this country has seen since the 1930's is the Army, they can't stop interfering.

as for what Thai people tell you, most wont tell people they don't know anything, there's some posters here who would take great pleasure in "dobbing" people in, to enhance their own status within the Kingdom.

But it's also quite obvious that your posts are designed to actually be inflammatory in nature and to provoke reactions.

You are out of line or just suffer poor reading comprehension if you see snything inflammatory in my above posts.

So you are saying that because the Thai people are not saying they are upset with the Junta is the very reason we should find fault or "worry" about the Junta?

The average TVF poster has now experienced this 19 times now? Amazing.

Out of curiousity, are you a Thai citizen? I can only relate this to my own experience as an American citizen but I don't think I could give an ounce of credibility to a non-US citizen's criticisms of my own country.

I see an improvement in Thailand. I see positive change.

But then I don't see the world through the bottom of a beer bottle either.

Edited by ClutchClark

Or in, or in, or in

Voting?

I do not trust the government any more because they change laws and rules as they go.

If I speak my mind in Holland nowadays, good chance you will end up in court, for "racism"

Oh, you are very right if you say, "I enjoyed" because that is the past.

As I see it, my forebears fought and died for freedom of oppression, and slowly that freedom is erased, by the dastardly EU and political correctness.

And I guess there are many all over Europe that think the same.

The Dutch do, as twice we voted against supranational autocratic and twice our voice was not heeded.

So that is why most people in The Netherlands do not trust Government any more.

You should think about that.

Our so-called freedoms are eroded, day by day, and we all think that by the right to vote we have a say in things.

Not any more, Sir, and you know it.

You just delude yourself by keeping up the mantra vote, vote, vote....

I am not in favour of a military takeover.

But sometimes it might be necessary.

The alternative might be worse.

But, do sleep on, keep on sending your democratic vote mantra, keep on deluding yourself about your hugely diminished freedoms, and slowly eroding freedoms.

Democracy nowadays is only possible by referendum, and the possibility to call back elected figures or replace them.

If this is not done, democracy is reduced to a 4-yearly circus of voting.

Like in the Netherlands.

This is so utterly wrong, it hurts my eyes. Typical reaction of someone blaming others for the perceived wrongs of a society. It is never your own fault, how a society would be possible with an attitude like that is beyond me.

I think I can see you coming from a mile away. Using freedom of speech as an excuse to label people you don't like as retarded, a bit like Wilders.

Your vote by referendum says it all. Of course the last referendum was not heeded by the government and for a dam good reasons, firstly it isn't a binding referendum and secondly only a tiny fraction of the electorate actually bothered to show up, 32%, of which a narrow 60% voted against, which means that a mere 17% of the electorate would be needed to influence a decision.

Either they abandon the referendum altogether, or they impose a certain turn out and a certain margin for them to be binding.

At the end of the day, there is no evidence whatsoever that our freedoms are being limited in the Netherlands, and may I remind you that over 51% of people actually voted for the two parties currently running the government ? Democracy in action. And they are actually doing what they promised. The economy is improving, unemployment reduced and the budget deficit decreased.

One would hope they get a second term, because the alternative isn't looking all that promising..

For evidence of hugly reduced rights, look no further than Thailand and the Junta. Hillarious you have the audacity to advocate Military takeover and talk about deminished freedoms, are you for real ?

Edited by sjaak327

Agreed.

"I have read a bit about the past Juntas but I was not around to experience the before & after."

No you weren't. That's why we have history books.

"This time ai have been and I see a positive change."

Really, can you be more specific?

"Most of the TVF community complains about everything like they are suffering hangovers so I tend not to listen to much to their opinions."

So when people don't agree with you you don't listen to them. Too bad, you might have learned something (and it's very obvious you need to).

"What have the Thai people told you about their opinions?"

I tend not to ask Thai strangers about their political opinion for obvious reasons. My Thai family and acquaintances overwhelmingly are against the junta. Did that answer your question?

"I heard some beach unpmbrella touts are not real happy with the whole thing."

And I've heard that there are a LOT more who are really unhappy. Too bad the junta knows this and consequently will not hold an election until they have a charter in place that makes elections irrelevant.

Agreed.

You are out of line or just suffer poor reading comprehension if you see snything inflammatory in my above posts.

So you are saying that because the Thai people are not saying they are upset with the Junta is the very reason we should find fault or "worry" about the Junta?

Out of curiousity, are you a Thai citizen? I can only relate this to my own experience as an American citizen but I don't think I could give an ounce of credibility to a non-US citizen's criticisms of my own country.

One thing is for sure, no idea through what you are seing the world, but something is obstructing that view, plain and simple.

Agreed.

"... I don't think I could give an ounce of credibility to a non-US citizen's criticisms of my own country."

Well, that explains a lot.

I said "I have read about the past Juntas" and you tell me thats hy we have history books.

Should I have capitslized "read" for your benefit?

You are puting words in my mouth when you suggest ai ignore people who don't agree with me. What I said was that I tend not to give much importance or energy to people who are always negative in their viewpoint. Are you one of those chronic complainers?

I also have a Thai wife. The discussion of the ajunta has come up and she has conveyed to me the feelings of her various fsmily members. There are a few levels of discussion--the personal "micro" effect the coup hashad on the individual and also the "macro" effect it has had for the Country as a whole. Not surprisingly, those whose business interests have been hurt are not very happy and not willing to concede any positive outcome. Those fsmily that are invested in the condo market are very happy with the stability the Junta has had on buyer's who are looking for a safe investment.

Do you have any specifics you can contribute or are you just going to be a generic naysayer without any details?

Tell you what... Grab a few more aspirin, splash some water on your face, brush your teeth, grab a cup of coffee and come on back when you are of good cheer.