Olympic athletes urged to keep their mouths shut in Rio - because of polluted water!

rooster59

Olympic athletes urged to keep their mouths shut in Rio - because of polluted water!

post-247607-0-45055400-1469840827_thumb.

Keep your mouths shut!

That is the advice from health experts to Olympic athletes preparing to compete in the polluted waters of Rio de Janeiro’s Guanabara Bay, where drug-resistant super bacteria have been found in abundance.

The opening ceremony for the games is just a week away.

“The idea is that athletes maintain minimum contact with the water. Unfortunately that is how it is,” said doctor Daniel Becker, acknowledging that it is not always easy to remember to keep your mouth and eyes closed when competing for an Olympic medal.

“They will probably suffer some form of contamination, though this does not mean they will necessarily fall ill. They will come into contact with the water and it is highly contaminated,” he said.

Clean-up efforts have been made, with items such as sofas, TV sets and even animal body parts previously found.

It has improved the situation according to Brazilian sailor Robert Scheidt.

“I trained here ten days ago and I can’t say it was perfect, that there was no rubbish. But the bay was much better than before,” he said.

Nonetheless, despite government pledges to treat 80 percent of the sewage drained into these waters, they were recently described as a ‘toxic stew’.

The buildup to the Rio Games has already been marked by concerns over a budget crisis in the city, sparked by Brazil’s worst recession since the 1930s, as well as an outbreak of the Zika virus, and a political crisis involving suspended President Dilma Rousseff who has been placed on trial in the Senate.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-07-30

Ha!

I thought the headline meant that athlestes should keep their mouth shut and not complain about all the negatives in Rio.

i was going to be a wiseguy and say, "they better keep their mouths shut when swimming as well" but thats the actual story !

Life is stranger than fiction.

Ha!

I thought the headline meant that athlestes should keep their mouth shut and not complain about all the negatives in Rio.

i was going to be a wiseguy and say, "they better keep their mouths shut when swimming as well" but thats the actual story !

Life is stranger than fiction.

That will become more apparent as you get older. If someone had told me 20 years ago that I would have to pay a bank to store my money I would have doubled over laughing. Even weirder S!!! is happening today. Its getting to be like Ripleys Believe It Or Not. Twilight Zone also comes to mind. Boy am I ever glad that I am not just starting out in life. Well back to the workshop I am working on a ray gun that dissolves politicians and turns them into a pile of dung. Lookout Bill Gates here I come. Edited by elgordo38

Olympics in Rio! Not the best idea.Very dangerous place.Sport is meant to be exempt from vilence,fear and cheating.But we've had Munich,Russian doping,and now sports men who dont want to compete for fear of never coming home.I think that if i was an athlete,my mind wouldn't be on my sport and i wouldn't be on top of my game.I cant think of a worse place to be for these people,right now.

Good luck boys and girls,watch your backs.