New Site Feedback

Tech Doctor

9 hours ago, dantilley said:

Uploading a file to attach to a post doesn't work. File I'm trying to attach is a JPG, 133 KB.

8 hours ago, MJCM said:

I can confirm this. Tried it with Jpg in the range of 5kb - 400kb and they all fail to upload. Tried both Drag and Drop and choose files.

"Error message I get is: Upload Failed"

8 hours ago, Tech Doctor said:

Hi,

Thanks Ill take a look shortly at this.

TD

7 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

The forum seems to be under the impression that I am French...

I click the British flag at the top - but then when I go to the forums, it comes up in French....

7 hours ago, Tech Doctor said:

Screenshot please?

TD

1 hour ago, dantilley said:

That will be difficult while the image attaching function doesn't work ;)

ZNeGvqX.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, balo said:

Yes I figured it out now. And yes, it's working.  But it requires some work to do it.  I doubt most 65+ year old member would understand where to begin . 

So what, we delay all alterations or improvements until they're all dead?

Only issue I see is when you read the "topic" you see the last reply.  Well what are they replying to?  Rather see a shorten version of the topic as posted instead if the last reply.  Mainly because most replies then to be lame and non contributing to the conversation.

• Like 1

I hate the big up arrow that almost covers the small down arrow at the bottom of the right side of the page. You have to avoid it to scroll down. You have to actually look at it - to make sure you don't go up - instead of just keeping the cursor on it and right clicking. Very inconvenient.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Another problem only happens with androids. Somehow you get a post that you do not want in the space to post and you can not delete it. It keeps coming up every time you try to post on that thread and you can not post there. This does not happen with a PC. You can delete it as usual.

Like this:

3 hours ago, Tech Doctor said:

1 hour ago, Ulysses G. said:

Another problem only happens with androids. Somehow you get a post that you do not want in the space to post and you can not delete it. It keeps coming up every time you try to post on that thread and you can not post there. This does not happen with a PC. You can delete it as usual.

Like this:

@Ulysses G. Actually, you DO get that issue on a PC in a manner of speaking, but as you say, you can delete it but it's not very  friendly 

Win 10 / Chrome browser - if you start a reply using "Quote" and then change your mind, then a while later wish to reply to a later post but still in the same topic, you press the Quote button and the original quote appears instead of the one you requested.  (This is very hard to describe adequately and doesn't occur every time.) The workaround is to Select and  "Ctrl-X" (Cut) the original quote, then press the quote button again and it works.

@Tech Doctor  I'ts as if the abandoned reply is being buffered or cached but it must be server side because I shut the browser and ran CCleaner between attempts and got the same problem.  Now that is baffling! wasn't there a "cancel" button before when you start a reply and change your mind before pressing Submit??? If there was (or even if there wasn't), might we have one please?

EDIT: There is a Cancel when one edits a post (see attached)  but not when one quotes from a previous one

Edit Capture.JPG

Edited by VBF
Attempt to clarify
  • Like 2

I wanted to wait for a while before making a judgement -- be fair and all that good stuff. 

Conclusion: This upgrade is an absolute disaster. Along with the constant slow loads and failures, errors, etc., I can't see the OP's unless I open the threads ( as hovering on the title doesn't work and the drop down button has been taken away). Next, forget trying to carry on a conversation by quoting the other person -- just doesn't work, and what could be more asinine than removing that capability? How would anybody know the context. Furhter,  I can't seem to paste relevant external site links anymore, either.   

Sure, I appreciate that the site is here for information and direct questions about visa issues, but as a place to engage in discussion, that's gone. It's a semi-functioning site now. Pity! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

I hate the big up arrow that almost covers the small down arrow at the bottom of the right side of the page. You have to avoid it to scroll down. You have to actually look at it - to make sure you don't go up - instead of just keeping the cursor on it and right clicking. Very inconvenient.

So actually scroll by clicking on the scroll bar?

Don't you have a scroll wheel, trackpad or touch screen like pretty much every other device from the last ten years?

Used to be when you entered a topic that had been running awhile there was a link to the first unread post in that thread. Is there a way of getting that back?

I know you can get to the first unread post in a topic from the outside of topic by clicking the dot or star by the  title. But not when you are inside any more.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

So actually scroll by clicking on the scroll bar?

Don't you have a scroll wheel, trackpad or touch screen like pretty much every other device from the last ten years?

I have a regular mouse on the PCs that I use most of the time.

On 8/5/2016 at 9:40 PM, oilinki said:

The nested quotations are gone for good! Hurraah!

The upgrade was worth the huge effort for that single feature. 

Please make it so, that the quoted text can only be max 50% of the text which is written by the next user. 
Thus if quoted text is 200 letters, the reply must have at least 400 letters of new content. 

Why would you want this. The drivel factor on the site would increase exponentially.

As a computer illiterate, I like the new format - assuming that the speed is something that will be sorted out.

Still haven't got to grips with the 'reply' function, and think this needs changing.  Automatically giving the last post 'replied to' (rather than the post to which one wants to reply) is a v bad idea.

• Like 2

Here seems as good as any:

1. 'Content/Posted in

When clicking any topic in this category it goes to page 1 post 1 instead of the first unread post. In popular topics this means I have to wade through several pages before picking up where I left off.

2. Likes

Whenever I give one it is followed by a box telling me I don't have permission, despite the like being added to the recipients tally.

Just my 2p...

Edited by evadgib

7 minutes ago, evadgib said:

1. 'Content/Posted in

When clicking any topic in this category it goes to page 1 post 1 instead of the first unread post. In popular topics this means I have to wade through several pages before picking up where I left off.

You have to create a stream channel to solve that issue , the tech experts in here will tell you that is easy and anyone should understand how to do it.   

• Like 1