New Site Feedback

Tech Doctor

On 1/26/2017 at 11:14 PM, Carib said:

Ok, smileys have returned but the 'page up arrow' has disappeared again.

Perhaps you mean the arrow that brings you back to the top of the page. This seems to have morphed into a tiny square at the bottom centre of the page.

top of page.png

Actually, the little square appears to be a placeholder for the Back-to-top arrow that has gone astray, hopefully only temporarily.

5 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Perhaps you mean the arrow that brings you back to the top of the page. This seems to have morphed into a tiny square at the bottom centre of the page.

top of page.png

Actually, the little square appears to be a placeholder for the Back-to-top arrow that has gone astray, hopefully only temporarily.

Woow.   Eagle eyes must be your nickname?  

The search box is also playing games again. 

On 1/27/2017 at 4:38 PM, Spock said:

Been using thaivisa for a long time and am now being hit the anti ad blocker. I complied by switching ads off on this domain, which is what adblock showed when I checked. I am not swithcing off adblock altogether on Chrome. I am happy to whitelist this domain as requested, but that has not stopped me receiving the same message and time out. The simple solution to me will be that I stop using Thaivisa, which will be a shame. I did what you asked but still you harass me to do what I have already done. You've lost a reader and customer.

Likewise I am not switching off ad block altogether on Chrome,  but if I allow 'whitelist' this site then the problems start,  still get the the pop up, it just stays on 'wait 30 seconds'  the time clock will not work, so just stays on and can do nothing but close that window...

Switched ad-blocker back on again, guess will just have to live with this harassment, just use ThaiVisa a lot less..  it has been my 'home page ' for years [changed it yesterday as the  harassment I can do without every morning switching PC on]

• Like 1

This is very funny, when I log in to my android app old threads I participated in appears as they should , but not on my Windows laptop. So to make suree not to miss any posts I actually have to log into both devices.

Thaivisa is getting on my nerves lol.

3 minutes ago, MJCM said:

@Tech Doctor.

No they don't. My ios App shows more threads I participated in then when I use Windows. Already reported this a couple of weeks ago.

Have also noted the Android is much better than Windows for listing of participated threads - but believe it is due to listing only those with new posts rather than the Windows where all threads are listed so you would need to scroll back forever to get old threads with new posts "star".  

Using laptop/windows I cannot find some topics I commented in. I sometimes see one with the star in a list on the 'view new content page'  but it does not appear on the 'content I posted in' page, scrolling down doesn't help to find it. 

What is with the " r " ?  (R that is).  In topic titles it looks ok, but in comments it is not complete anymore.

12 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

@Tech Doctor: Can we please - pretty please - have the Notifications that we have already viewed, displayed in a non-bolded font?

It can't be that hard to do, or is it already done and we have to wait for the next update?

Done. Should be able to see read / undread notifications correclty now.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tech Doctor said:

They should both show the same results as they use the same parameters

Already 3 members told you that's not true.  

One example , I posted in the Manchester City thread . But I could not see old posts from 2 weeks back until I logged into my Android app . 

May be other issues but from photos it appears you have very poor signal levels of 1 to 2 bars so that might help explain the long loading time as much as anything else?  I would be looking for a better signal as first step.  

Sorry - are you using True by any chance?  I used to have severe connection issues when not using a VPN even in Windows - but sometimes could get working with a disconnect and re-connection to a new modem at True - but long term have to connect through Singapore server for reliable service for this forum (and with the amount of advertising even then have issues at times).

I think you summed up the problem with the line ....amount of advertising.......then again never had these problems before they upgraded the forum so probably a combination o ofthat and bad web scripting/developement......  I am on a dtac WiFi network

I have initiated a site content re-index to include all pages and streams now the bugs seem to have been rectified...

@Tech Doctor

Finally I am seeing (some (as the indexing isn't finished yet) of the) lost threads in the PC Browser version which were always visible in the iOS app. Thx for that

:wai:

• Like 1

Just now, buddhalady said:

Since the introduction of the ad-block feature, I'm unable to load more than two or three pages for reading and reference without my system freezing and necessitating a restart - very annoying. Thinking it might be my computer rather than this site , I called in my IT guy  and explained what was happening and when. Result - nothing wrong with my ,machine or its other programmes , plus the expert opinion that it's TV's software that's causing the problem.

No surprise, as I can load up to 10 pages from, for example, the Guardian newspaper with no problems, nor are their problems with loading various other expat media pages. Don't give a damn about the ads, but this is totally unacceptable.

This forum used to be chapter, book and verse for newly arrived expats needing advice, it's now just a money-making machine for its now owners, who can't even be bothered to employ decent IT professionals. Sad.

My problem is similar but not as bad. Sometimes Thaivisa.com pops up a message that tells me my ad blocker is blocking ads on the page. Actually, I've exempted the entire thaivisa.com from the attention of my ad blocking software. So it's annoying but not crippling.

On 2/9/2017 at 3:47 AM, notmyself said:

Very nice to see re-indexing. Lots of very good information on this forum over the years that has been hard to search for.

TVF's site indexing/search functionality has always been relatively poor, IME, and even before seemed to miss a lot of its own content.

Over time, both before and now, I've found I get far more complete and helpful results just by doing a focused Google search.

Type in your browser's search box site:www.thaivisa.com and then whatever search terms/phrasing you're looking for.

AFAIK, Google does and maintains its own search indexing, and doesn't rely on the seemingly haphazard job that TV does on its own.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Maestro said:

buddhalady, I'd like to try and reproduce your problem on my PC. Please tell me what web browser you are using, so that I may experiment with the same browser

Firefox - I have no problems loading multiple pages from any other site. Loading TV this morning was slow and stuttering.

This is often caused by the sheer number of calls that must be made to load even one page of this forum due to the number of adds and trackers involved on every page.  This seems to also be more of a problem when using True inside Thailand if not using a VPN from outside the country.  

Noticed today they are even advertising archived treads as current in Google adds on right side of main page (threads without a post for 3 plus years and locked) - unbelievable.  :saai:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, buddhalady said:

Firefox - I have no problems loading multiple pages from any other site. Loading TV this morning was slow and stuttering.

Funny you should mention that. I've been having lots of problems lately with Firefox, which I use as my main browser, freezing and crashing a lot after I've been using TVF pages for a while.

I thought it might be some problem with my browser or the fact my current Win 10 machine only has 4 GB of RAM. But the freezing and ultimate crashing does seem to particularly occur when I've been loading TVF pages -- even though I've successfully blocked all advertising and ad-bloc pops. 

(BTW, the freezing and crashing problem was occurring before the recent arrival of the TVF anti-ad-block pop-up and my steps to deal with that. So the problems I've been having pre-dated that recent "innovation" on TVF's part).

Also, I pretty much only use Firefox for my browsing, and other browsers almost not at all. But at times when I've gotten frustrated with Firefox, I've tried switching to Chome, and it seemed to suffer the same problems.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Funny you should mention that. I've been having lots of problems lately with Firefox, which I use as my main browser, freezing and crashing a lot after I've been using TVF pages for a while.

I thought it might be some problem with my browser or the fact my current Win 10 machine only has 4 GB of RAM. But the freezing and ultimate crashing does seem to particularly occur when I've been loading TVF pages -- even though I've successfully blocked all advertising and ad-bloc pops. 

(BTW, the freezing and crashing problem was occurring before the recent arrival of the TVF anti-ad-block pop-up and my steps to deal with that. So the problems I've been having pre-dated that recent "innovation" on TVF's part).

I haven't.........:stoner: