Will a UK record (vinyl) turntable work in Thailand?

MESmith

I want to bring my old record turntable over from UK.  Assuming it survives the flight, will it run at the right speed here.  Is the electric supply close enough to that in UK?  I know I can buy a new player here, but I prefer my old one.

It might be cheaper to buy one here from Lazada or the shopping Mall. You can also buy Vinyl Records in Seacon Square Bangkok or behind at Talat Rot Fai (Train Market - Thur/Fri/Sat/Sun). Lazada has a combined vinyl player with in built CD player for B8,999 as well as TEAC etc. The only problem with vinyl is the heat.

1 hour ago, Estrada said:

It might be cheaper to buy one here from Lazada or the shopping Mall. You can also buy Vinyl Records in Seacon Square Bangkok or behind at Talat Rot Fai (Train Market - Thur/Fri/Sat/Sun). Lazada has a combined vinyl player with in built CD player for B8,999 as well as TEAC etc. The only problem with vinyl is the heat.

Interesting information. Thank you. However, would you please let me know about Lazada's combined vinyl player with a built-in CD player:

(a) I presume it is a CD/DVD player?

(b) is it possible to play a vinyl record and record the music simultaneously on a CD/DVD?

(c) do you know brand name and model number? (That will make it easier to find the item on Lazada's website.)

Thank you for your help. 

21 minutes ago, peergin said:

Interesting information. Thank you. However, would you please let me know about Lazada's combined vinyl player with a built-in CD player:

(a) I presume it is a CD/DVD player?

(b) is it possible to play a vinyl record and record the music simultaneously on a CD/DVD?

(c) do you know brand name and model number? (That will make it easier to find the item on Lazada's website.)

Thank you for your help. 

If you want it on CD/dvd, just download direct from internet to your dvd, and you avoid player totally

31 minutes ago, al007 said:

If you want it on CD/dvd, just download direct from internet to your dvd, and you avoid player totally

Good idea! However I think that the music of many of my older vinyl records will not be available on the Internet. Nevertheless, I will check! Thank you for the suggestion.

Yes it will work but the direction of spin, this being Thailand, will be anticlockwise.

However, that is very good if you wish to listen to all those old messages at the end of rock albums about Paul McCartney being dead and Jim Morrison being Satan, etc.

Yes, no problem, done the same myself.

However voltage and frequency are not exactly the same there and here, but to all intents and purposes all my UK stuff works fine here for the last 13 years, power tools, hi-fi, machine shop tools inc lathe and mill etc.

UK 240v, 60hz,

Thai 220v 50hz

Define "work"?

Will it spin your vinyl at the correct and steady speed?

Bringing the rest of your system? Cos a rec player on its own ain't no good. Buying other system components here?

Consider humidity fluctuations, air con on/off cycles.

Sound quality, isolation.

What level are you expecting? Worried about system sensitivity to gluon or gravity field differences?

220 volt / 50 Hertz – if the motor runs on frequency, it will work; if the motor is servo controlled, it will work. Be aware of (some places extremely) unstable power supply, it may work better and safer via an UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply).

:)

6 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Yes, no problem, done the same myself.

However voltage and frequency are not exactly the same there and here, but to all intents and purposes all my UK stuff works fine here for the last 13 years, power tools, hi-fi, machine shop tools inc lathe and mill etc.

UK 240v, 60hz,

Thai 220v 50hz

UK has 50 hertz power supply, it's USA that (and other 110-120 volt countries) that has 60 hertz.

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

UK has 50 hertz power supply, it's USA that (and other 110-120 volt countries) that has 60 hertz.

Yep, 50 Hz. The usual WiKi source also says 230 V (not 240).

220 vs. 230 absolutely within tolerance levels.

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yep, 50 Hz. The usual WiKi source also says 230 V (not 240).

220 vs. 230 absolutely within tolerance levels.

EU directive – before UK had 240 volt, continental Europe 220 volt – now all has 230 volt. Changed slowly with little decrease/increase over a number of years to meet. At that time all new equipment were rated for 230 volt (however most modern equipment will run on a quite wide range of voltage).

5 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

The water in my kitchen sink,drains anti clockwise as opposed to uk.Does it follow that the record will do the same.

Just jokin':D

Try putting a pyramid over the sink – or turntable – pyramide experts states that the water will rund the opposite way out in the drain; hmm, and they record will then back-cue..?:whistling:
Cannot wait to hear the result og the experiment..!:rolleyes:

It appears i'm wrong on the 50/60 hz thingey, no biggie.

I have a 3 phase to single phase converter on my milling machine, 380/440v in, 240/30/20v out, or vice versa. This has a frequency adjuster thingey on it, like a speed controller, and you can watch the hz's go from nought to 60. As you can probably tell, electrics is not my strongest point, however i still wired my w/shop up, and can put a plug on a kettle...

47 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

It appears i'm wrong on the 50/60 hz thingey, no biggie.

I have a 3 phase to single phase converter on my milling machine, 380/440v in, 240/30/20v out, or vice versa. This has a frequency adjuster thingey on it, like a speed controller, and you can watch the hz's go from nought to 60. As you can probably tell, electrics is not my strongest point, however i still wired my w/shop up, and can put a plug on a kettle...

Ah, I see where your confusion is coming from, you have a VVVF (Variable Voltage, Variable Frequency) drive which allows full control of an induction motor from zero to about 20% overspeed.

Possibly. Indeed.

I also remember now the current (excuse the pun) 230v UK thing rather than 240v.

The VVVF (your terminology) box i have on the mill is officially sold as an "inverter", size and price dependant on hp, and allows most 3 phase (380/440v) motors to run off a household 220/30/40v plug.

Archived