Which Immigration Offices Follow the Rules, Which Don't?

I've been thinking about this topic for quite a while, and what finally spurred me to post it is a series of posts in one of the retirement extension thread by members who feel they're being extorted by local Immigration offices for extra fees in connection with marriage extensions.

Of course, there are lots of different reasons/factors that influence where any of us might want to live in Thailand. But since Immigration is what governs our ability to live here at all  -- and you have to deal with the Immigration office responsible for where you live --  it seems to me that one factor to include in that decision is how's the local Immigration office for the area where you live?

Do they follow the rules and do what they're supposed to do? Or are they constantly coming up with their own special, local, extra requirements and/or fees?

I will say, having lived in BKK for quite a few years, ChaengWattana Immigration in BKK -- in my experience -- seems to generally follow the laid down rules and procedures, and charge the fees they're supposed to charge, especially in connection with the crucial things like retirement and marriage extensions.

How about other places: What Immigration offices are decent to do business with, and which ones would you want to avoid (assuming you expect them to play by the rules)???

• Like 1

Yes, some people can be easier or more difficult to deal with, both on the expat side and on the Immigration side of the equation.

But personality issues like that probably aren't going to be the cause of some officer, reportedly, asking for 4900b or 5000b to process a retirement extension or telling the person to come back a month later.

To date/after eight years, I've never had a problem with the Bangkok/Chaeng Wattana Office (knock on wood).   I do make an effort to ensure I always have my ducks/docs lined up based on my understanding of the immigration rules/policies.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Chiang Mai type it in the search bar above.

I don't live in CM. But I do read our forums.

And they seem replete with countless posts of what would seem to deserve being called a horrible customer experience at the main office there. Long long queues. Having to arrive in the wee hours of the morning, etc etc.

But, I'm less clear about whether there have been any issues there with "special" fees or local rules/requirements being applied that are beyond the normal ones used in most places.

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

One thing i found amusing recently when i went to do my 90 day report. ''That form'' was presented but the Thai officer made fun of it, ''by order of our Prayut-Onchaaaaa'' he grinned and gave me the form with a theatrical flourish. ''Oh i can't remember my car number''  ''Well leave it out then''  ''Oh and i don't have a photograph with me''  ''That's alright i know what you look like''. I got as far as filling in my Thai address when he took the form,stamped it and said that will do. It seems they regard it as much of a waste of time as we do. Don't ask me what office, i don't want to get the guy into trouble. 

I have wondered about that. Immigration Offices often are busy places, especially in the larger cities.

And having to take the extra time, for each and every extension or 90-day application, to have the person fill out by hand the ***** form would seem like it would slow down the already overburdened process.

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

One thing i found amusing recently when i went to do my 90 day report. ''That form'' was presented but the Thai officer made fun of it, ''by order of our Prayut-Onchaaaaa'' he grinned and gave me the form with a theatrical flourish. ''Oh i can't remember my car number''  ''Well leave it out then''  ''Oh and i don't have a photograph with me''  ''That's alright i know what you look like''. I got as far as filling in my Thai address when he took the form,stamped it and said that will do. It seems they regard it as much of a waste of time as we do. Don't ask me what office, i don't want to get the guy into trouble. 

You blew your cover having your location under your photo. :giggle:

• Like 1

My experiences at CM Immigration have always been positive with the exception of one incident a few years ago when an officer attempted humour that failed miserably. I'd gone to see them because I realised my entry stamp was incorrect, the entry officer at Swampy had used the wrong date and then tried to change it by hand but failed miserably. The officer at the CM looked at it and asked me why I had tried to change the date in my passport and I said I hadn't but he kept goading me into telling him why I had. Had the incident happened in say the West I would have gone ballistic but here I had to fight to keep my cool. Finally, when he saw that I was getting hot he said, just joking,  s**t for brains!

10 minutes ago, malt25 said:

No problems at Sakon Nakhon.

Glad to hear that!!!  That's my wife's home stomping grounds.

So I suppose, it's not out of the realm of possibility I might end up in the neighborhood there someday... hopefully not anytime soon. :)

I was hoping someone from SN was going to chime in!

Go in with the right attitude and a bit of patience and its never a problem. I witnessed a guy telling an immigration officer he was wrong one day, he was fobbed off to go and do something right. I sat down with a big smile on my face and as an icebreaker said' he's in for a long day, isn't he' I got a beatific smile and a 'Yesssss', back.

The officers have to deal with people from a myriad of countries, most are ill-prepared- even I find them frustrating. Different offices attract different sorts of customers as well. Personally i would never go into an Immigration Office unshaven, wearing boardies and a wife-beaters but others consider that adequate attire. 

I've never paid any sort of bung other than the Resident Permit racket and now I know I don't have to pay it i will see what happens next time. 

If you've been using the same office for ten or more years the people get to know you and what they can or can't do to mess you about.  

As I said at the top a lot of it is about attitude.

• Like 1

I have never found any particular problems in Pattaya. However, this year (my 10th) I need to renew my retirement visa 3 weeks early and exit the country for a few months.

Now, normally, I would simply conform with all the usual rules and procedures and have no concerns. However, when you read posts, such as that yesterday, about a delay in processing the r/v, then obviously when I go early next month I'll have a few misgivings prior to actually attending - even though I have no evidence it will not be straightforward.

If they were to deny my visa immediately, long term plans would have to be abandoned - or I would have to sucumb to a bribe, which I simply would not do or simply exit the country and start the retirment process all over again on return.:(

Perhaps I should refrain from reading posts such as yesterday's1

6 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I've never had a problem in Jomtien.  A few times, I had some "issues" with my application.  Keep a cool head, be polite, and they'll help work it out.  Also, dress nicely.  It does make a difference.

Craig, I can't remember for certain, but I thought I'd read some posts about Jomtien having some different requirements about seasoning of funds for bank deposits... or something.

Maybe that was before CW and some of the other offices suddenly, and without any announcement, started requiring seasoning of combination funds (bank deposits plus monthly income) for retirement extensions. Before a year or two ago, that was the exception, not the rule. But now CW and others seem to have gone down that same policy road.

That change, and the way it was handled without any real notice at CW, is really the only issue I've had with CW in my years here.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

The officers have to deal with people from a myriad of countries, most are ill-prepared- even I find them frustrating. Different offices attract different sorts of customers as well. Personally i would never go into an Immigration Office unshaven, wearing boardies and a wife-beaters but others consider that adequate attire.

Maybe it's different at the Immigration offices in the resort city areas. But when I go to CW-BKK, I rarely see anyone dressing like that. Most male customers there are in slacks and shirts, as you would expect.

Visited immigration joimtien last November applied for retirement extension one year had all papers filled out,800,000bath in account .went to counter told to go into back office with four staff present in room one in police uniform she examined my documents told me that there was a small problem ,she would have to speak to her boss I asked her what the problem was she said not to worry that she could sort it out I asked a few times and was never told.To shorten this story I was asked to pay 19,000 bath when I asked what the money was for and would I get a receipt all documents were pushed back at me and I was told not to make any problems the atmosphere changed and she refused to talk to me pretending to be busy.I paid the money and got the extension of it happens this year I will leave country.There was a lot of people that went into back room and I know that I am not alone Thi policewoman is still working there.

I should add, it's not out of the realm of possibility that different people here may legitimately have very different experiences at a particular Immigration office... and not just because of how they might dress or their personality.

But rather, in any particular office, some staff may in fact be following the proper rules and procedures, and others may be going their own way (so to speak).  So it's valuable to hear, based on different people's posts, just how often the off-the-books kind of behavior might be cropping up in a particular place.

I had the same basic issue.  Only, a small problem.  They took care of it.  No additional payments.

What I have noticed is the requirements seem to change from day to day.  But more to do with what docs you need copied.  No biggie.

24 minutes ago, Pious said:

Visited immigration joimtien last November applied for retirement extension one year had all papers filled out,800,000bath in account .went to counter told to go into back office with four staff present in room one in police uniform she examined my documents told me that there was a small problem ,she would have to speak to her boss I asked her what the problem was she said not to worry that she could sort it out I asked a few times and was never told.To shorten this story I was asked to pay 19,000 bath when I asked what the money was for and would I get a receipt all documents were pushed back at me and I was told not to make any problems the atmosphere changed and she refused to talk to me pretending to be busy.I paid the money and got the extension of it happens this year I will leave country.There was a lot of people that went into back room and I know that I am not alone Thi policewoman is still working there.

Mugged or mug,not sure.

If you paid Bht 19.000,the latter.

Why didn't you just walk if that was the case.

• Like 1