Plan to track all foreigners - NOT JUST TOURISTS - by SIM cards moves forward

webfact

Definitely would be Takorn Tantasith, secretary-general of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC),  better advised first to care about the violence glorifying Thai TV soap operas.

That would certainly prevent more crime and violence, as his tracking sim card fantasies.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Thailand you have taught me a lot and I have some awesome memories shared with some amazing Thai and farang friends over the past 3 years, but Im off to a land where I can get treated as an equal, the beaches are cleaner and the cost of living is even cheaper and dirt cheap visas are a breeze in comparison....a round of applause to the Thai government and the scammers on every corner...you got rid of me, but youve still got a big job ahead of you!

Im just waiting for the Thai catch-all "If you don't commit any crimes then you have nothing to fear".

Bound to be on the way...

Personally I don't actually mind this, I rarely use my phone anyway so I can leave it at home or auto-forward calls to my wife's phone. Or enjoy a quiet life. But it will create further widespread anger and resentment which all helps. This lot are bound to poop on their own doorstep - can't help themselves. Then they'll blame everyone else. Situation normal.

Move along folks, nothing to see here. Nothing important anyway.

Winnie

The Thai fat lady is singing

Hopefully this, not very well thought out proposal, does not reach the western media.
Can already see the headlines in the tabloids:
“Thai military government plan to install George Orwell.”
“Tourists will observed from Thai military government”

That would be poison for thai tourism.

14 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Never gonna happen. Jus  put the sim into the bin

But it has already started to happen, when we hminority,vingnt our passportsat Seven Eleven, or wherever, along with our mobile numbers, where both were recorded...for whom, its easy to geuss. If you purchase a new sim card, same deal, show your passport. So if you put your sim card in the bin then you may as well forget receiving calls. But this excercise.was to counter terrorism, so we were told. Yeh BigBrother is getting bigger now in this democracy. Where democracy is defined as the dictatorship of the minority, by the majority.

15 hours ago, oilinki said:

AFAIK there are no GPS enabled SIM cards yet. 

would be mandatory for foreigners to have GPS enabled on their phones?

. .. you have the best point in this discussion here. 

Their idea was, that the foreigner must have "location" always turned on.   This has technically no relevance to the "type of SIM Card" because, as you pointed out correctly, there is no SIM Card that hast automatic GPS on it,  so turning the "location" would reveal the thechnically unfit clowns who have come up with this nonsense.

With existing technics, you can locate a Smartphone SIM in use, by a triangular spotting between the receiving mobile signal ports.   So in effect, they can already locate a number that was handed out to a tourist at the airport.

Locating an  expat would be a VERY different story !!

. . because they not consider, expat just asks and/or pays a Thai to register a new SIM.  Spot on!

. . .  they not consider you can always ask your wife, girlfriend, relative, to register your SIM. Spot on!

. . . when they register a tourist who is gonna go on a 2 week holiday, why and for which purpose  do they need the whereabouts, will they track her/him down better after the boat capsized off the Phuket coast?? Tourists get registered at the local police when checking into hotels and guesthouses automatically, by the managements of their accomodations.  

Spot on!

Thailand's government officials again, for the trizillionth time, show the world how to communicate laughing stock.  They open their mouths and start talking, before they have worked on feasible concepts, the plan, the tricks, the flaws -  it takes some planning and knowledge. and technical knowledge.  Something most Thai officials up to high ranks completeyl lack about. Just remember the propellers in the river.

A

Regarding  “The location will always be turned on in this SIM card for foreigners. And it cannot be turned off.”

This will use a lot of your mobile phone'n battery charge and thus you'll run out of power sooner.

So often here,  on this forum anyway,  questions are asked if various ideas and plans have actually been thought through and this is another one.

The idea may never get off the ground,  it may be implemented and be anything from a complete success,   which is what would probably be claimed,    to a raging disaster but no matter what has the geniuses who came up with this have any idea what they're projecting to the world about the kind of people and the mentality running the country   ?

Potential investors,  tourists,  international companies with offices here etc.  would have to think twice about involvement with LoS  I would think which is something the   '  brains  '   behind this probably haven't.

Another thoughtless "phobia" sees the light of day. So many laws, so few clues how to properly implement them, so few ideas how to effectively police them BUT oh, so many idiots on the bandwagon (self-aggrandisement/big noting comes to mind). A total lack of failure of how to think outside the square.

I wonder how the rich/connected would feel about other countries doing to Thai people and their considerable assets in other countries, what the Government in Thailand does to foreigners?

Just acting like a very small fish in a big pond.

9 hours ago, AbeSurd said:

Unfortunately I've been out of Thailand a lot for the last year so I may have missed a few developments. Also I haven't read this entire thread so apologies if this has been asked/answered already....

A year or two ago there was a big government drive to get everyone to register their SIM cards. If I remember correctly there were warnings that your SIM card would be cut off if you didn't register it in time.

Was there any fallout from this? Like thousands and thousands of people losing use of their SIM cards?

Cough, cough. Just wondering if anyone can help me with the above query. Thanks.

3 hours ago, ironman and the hyena said:

Well Thailand you have taught me a lot and I have some awesome memories shared with some amazing Thai and farang friends over the past 3 years, but Im off to a land where I can get treated as an equal, the beaches are cleaner and the cost of living is even cheaper and dirt cheap visas are a breeze in comparison....a round of applause to the Thai government and the scammers on every corner...you got rid of me, but youve still got a big job ahead of you!

pray, tell us where this land of milk and honey is!

Nothing better to do, it seems. No need to get excited though as, if it is about crime, then let the figures speak. 

Of the 30 million tourists (if that is indeed a real figure by the weed-smokers down at TAT) staying here for, say 10 days we have 300 million tourist days.
The 75 million Thais being here 365 days 27'374 million (or 2.73 billion) Thai days. 

By pure statistic - the alien non-Thais (if on par with Thai citizens as far as crime is concerned) would be involved in 10.96% of all the crimes, i.e. one in nine crimes are committed by non-Thais?

Clearly not the case; hence expand the programme all over all mobile phones. In addition, the location of the SIM/phone does not say that the owner was there too. But yeah, keeps yet another Ministry (the Ministry of Farang Bashing) going. Pathetic bulls....t! 

10 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

“We would just facilitate the police. So they could more easily track foreigners who enter the country and commit crimes,”

So far, the immigration are not even able to identify wanted criminals when they entering the country.
If someone wants to rob a bank, he simply let his cell phone at home.
This tracking Sim Card will hold no single terrorist thereof to ignite his bomb.
That's all a false front.

It's just about additional money for the private pockets of certain people.
Foreigners are allowed to pay this brainchild.
At the end it does not matter whether someone uses the SIM card or not.
The main thing is, he must buy one.

unless you don't have a phone, i hardly use mine so i can do without

5 hours ago, mankondang said:

But it has already started to happen, when we hminority,vingnt our passportsat Seven Eleven, or wherever, along with our mobile numbers, where both were recorded...for whom, its easy to geuss. If you purchase a new sim card, same deal, show your passport. So if you put your sim card in the bin then you may as well forget receiving calls. But this excercise.was to counter terrorism, so we were told. Yeh BigBrother is getting bigger now in this democracy. Where democracy is defined as the dictatorship of the minority, by the majority.

I don't know about showing your passport for a sim, my wife gave me one

15 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Than, let your GF buy a new one, any problems?

you may be in need for the same Number, for receiving OTP codes linked to Bank account etc.

once using another( based on Thai person), might be unaible to register for such services...?

so, the only way to keep the old number, is , probably, to REGISTER it on your name, with the new mandatory foreigner sim. of course if simply need to call and text etc. wouldnt need that.

13 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Still no one cares to read it properly

Again I quote "Foreign tourists would be able to continue to use SIM cards brought in from other countries under roaming service and would not be required to turn their location on. They would only receive a location-tracking SIM card once they showed their passport to purchase one from a Thai service provider."

Quite clear won't affect anyone already here using a thai sim. 

of course they could switch off your current SIM, to convince you getting the required Foreigner SIM.for some reason.....money making or whatever.

4 minutes ago, aquario33 said:

you may be in need for the same Number, for receiving OTP codes linked to Bank account etc.

once using another( based on Thai person), might be unaible to register for such services...?

so, the only way to keep the old number, is , probably, to REGISTER it on your name, with the new mandatory foreigner sim. of course if simply need to call and text etc. wouldnt need that.

You go to ATM for your bank and change the number to new one gf bought you sim does not have to be registered to you you can use any number

3 minutes ago, aquario33 said:

of course they could switch off your current SIM, to convince you getting the required Foreigner SIM.for some reason.....money making or whatever.

3 minutes ago, aquario33 said:

How they going to do that how do they know what sim I have??? I never registered when sim was bought. Mrs bought it. So it's registered thai

22 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

How they going to do that how do they know what sim I have??? I never registered when sim was bought. Mrs bought it. So it's registered thai

Just guessing here as NOTHING is certain yet.

What about you Enter the Country and the IO ask to see your Phone ?