Boycott camp rejects results of 'fake' referendum

webfact

Boycott camp rejects results of 'fake' referendum

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

Vote-Count.jpg

Votes are tallied Sunday at a polling station in Bangkok's Chatuchak district.

BANGKOK — Activists who boycotted the referendum called Tuesday for annulling the results of the junta-backed plebiscite, saying it was neither free nor fair from the start.

Four academics and activists said they want to see the results overturned at a symposium held at Thammasat University to discuss the outcome of Sunday’s vote in which voters adopt by the charter by a large margin.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2016/08/09/boycott-camp-rejects-results-fake-referendum/

-- Khaosod English 2016-08-10

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole thing was a farce from the start, the yes vote was in prior to the draft.

The NCPO banned criticism of the draft constitution and prohibited monitoring of the referendum. Activists against the document were arrested, detained, and prosecuted in military courts, whilst voters who expressed their intention to vote against the draft were also arrested and prosecuted by the military regime.  All major political parties were against it because it hands full control power and control of the country to the military regime.

6 minutes ago, Thechook said:

The whole thing was a farce from the start, the yes vote was in prior to the draft.

The NCPO banned criticism of the draft constitution and prohibited monitoring of the referendum. Activists against the document were arrested, detained, and prosecuted in military courts, whilst voters who expressed their intention to vote against the draft were also arrested and prosecuted by the military regime.  All major political parties were against it because it hands full control power and control of the country to the military regime.

But the World Community has confidence, tourists from Oman have grown by 20% ( more xxxl poloshirts for the Sukhumvit stalls) ,and they're going to be nice to people from Issarn and the North, or something...

So it has all turned out well in the end.

:)

Edited by JAG

2 hours ago, Plutojames88 said:

Wait until elections are held .....quicker better ...

Wait until the gathering of five or more is lifted .

Then get the pitch folks and bus down to the big smoke and you might win .

The soldiers will shoot a hundred of you.

But not 100,000

Don't be too sure about that at this juncture. There are extremely nasty and ruthless people in Bangkok gambling very high stakes, to whom the lives of the rank and file mean absolutely nothing. Nor is there a safety catch anymore. 

'Either we run the place or no one does...'

7 minutes ago, baboon said:

Don't be too sure about that at this juncture. There are extremely nasty and ruthless people in Bangkok gambling very high stakes, to whom the lives of the rank and file mean absolutely nothing. Nor is there a safety catch anymore. 

Your comment / summary does of course accurately describe the shin family company party , pt, red organization. 

6 minutes ago, baboon said:

You mean like the people telling their supporters to take benzine to BKK to burn it down (and did burn a few buildings down)

Fact is in this referendum everyone was free to vote no they just did not do it. The fact that it was possible to vote no shows in Chaing Mai.  I hear about people telling about villages that did not vote because they were not paid.. that is how important the people think it was. Nobody forced them to not vote or vote yes. 

The remarks about not being able to campaign for NO is correct but still it was in the news that the PTP wanted a NO vote That Abisith wanted a no vote.. so people could have followed that.. but they did not. 

I had fully expected a NO vote myself but it seems the Thais preferred the fact that there was no red / yellow violence.  I have spoken with a few Thais they might not like the junta but they did like that there was no violence and they could go on with their lives. That was reason enough to vote yes. 

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

You mean like the people telling their supporters to take benzine to BKK to burn it down (and did burn a few buildings down)

Fact is in this referendum everyone was free to vote no they just did not do it. The fact that it was possible to vote no shows in Chaing Mai.  I hear about people telling about villages that did not vote because they were not paid.. that is how important the people think it was. Nobody forced them to not vote or vote yes. 

The remarks about not being able to campaign for NO is correct but still it was in the news that the PTP wanted a NO vote That Abisith wanted a no vote.. so people could have followed that.. but they did not. 

I had fully expected a NO vote myself but it seems the Thais preferred the fact that there was no red / yellow violence.  I have spoken with a few Thais they might not like the junta but they did like that there was no violence and they could go on with their lives. That was reason enough to vote yes. 

Ignore your top 2 paragraphs which is your usual OTP and higher bigoted, rest I agree with you. The business side of me like the stability but morally wrong to have democracy on hold and lorded by the military.

49 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Take heart as only 33% of eligible voters approved. Seem majority does reject the fake referendum.

You're misunderstanding Thjai mentality.

Seems the majority does not care and does not see any need to vote against the referendum.

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

Ignore your top 2 paragraphs which is your usual OTP and higher bigoted, rest I agree with you. The business side of me like the stability but morally wrong to have democracy on hold and lorded by the military.

It was not me who posted first about villages not wanting to vote because no money was offered. It was a member here just copying what he said.  But it sounds about right that some people would only vote if they get paid.

My first paragraph was in response to baboon with his evil BKK people, while in fact the red PTP is far more evil. Killing children and rousing their supporters to burn BKK. The yellows are no angels (popcorn man who is now in jail is a good example of yellow violence though it was in response of night after night attacks by the Isarn Rambo near chang wattana). But the reds have always been the more violent party. I stick with that opinion.

I dont like the chosen senators much either but right now and given the history of Thailand its worth a shot. But I stick with my opinion that the only way to clean politics is to make corruption impossible. As long as its so profitable to be in government both sides will do whatever it takes to get in power. 

The good thing about the new constitution is that there is now no statute of limitations on corruption and harsher punishment for corrupt politicians (now lets hope that this works and that unlike before everyone gets procecuted. Not just the people who are the enemies of those in power. (during red times they go after yellow and vice versa). Though now with no statute of limitations it suddenly becomes a lot more dangerous to be corrupt on either side.

I guess there is no reason not to have a free and open discussion of the content of the new charter now?

Few shocks in store for people when they find out exactly what they voted yes for if such a thing was allowed.

27 minutes ago, robblok said:

I have spoken with a few Thais ...................

Spot on robblok.

Robblok can SPEAK Thai FLUENTLY and he SPEAK to Thai people about the daily poilitics (altough banned by the Junta).
A fully integrated "hansum" foreigner, married to a Thai lady who graduated at a well known University in Thailand. 

Just now, Confuscious said:

Spot on robblok.

Robblok can SPEAK Thai FLUENTLY and he SPEAK to Thai people about the daily poilitics (altough banned by the Junta).
A fully integrated "hansum" foreigner, married to a Thai lady who graduated at a well known University in Thailand. 

Yes a few Thais and I don't speak Thai fluently (speak enough but politics is a hard topic and my Thai is not good enough to discuss that) but there are quite a few Thais that speak decent English.  I used to be married to a Thai lady who graduated from a University.  Guess we just move in different circles.  As for being hansum I have no clue about that I do know I am not fat or old. 

2 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

That is certainly not the case. 

By abstaining to vote that sent a clear message that they have no confidence in this constitution.

Especially so after all the campaigning and the fact a no campaign was both illegal and practically non-existent.

That is a nice spin.. a no vote would be a far better message.. not voting shows not caring. 

13 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

You're misunderstanding Thjai mentality.

Seems the majority does not care and does not see any need to vote against the referendum.

I read that differently from you. I know Thai mentality to be indifferent when they dislike something and will not engage. The Yes majority will only be too eager to demonstrate their support and they came out to vote. So in conclusion, the 33% are the most fervent supporters and the rest are keeping away as a means of protest against the junta government. 

Maybe

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

That is a nice spin.. a no vote would be a far better message.. not voting shows not caring. 

Maybe people where afraid to vote no (thumb print on ballot paper)  so chose not voting instead ?

15 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Not voting when urged day and night by the junta shows a lack of confidence in the constitution.

Thais aren't as stupid or politically malaise as you think. 

Thais are not stupid at all. But not voting shows no caring (world wide thing) No voting shows conviction against it and Yes voting shows support, now if a vote had not gone the way i wanted it I would not be such a sore loser and accept it.

It could be argued that Thailand needs a 'benevolent autocratic' system for a decade or so to weed out the apathetic two party system and inherent corruption, which in conjunction with lack of 'learned' education is holding this country back.  If this means having a military backbone and democracy is less than expected in western countries [and the value of their democracy is debatable], then so be it.

14 minutes ago, johng said:

Maybe

Maybe people where afraid to vote no (thumb print on ballot paper)  so chose not voting instead ?

Why.. do you know how hard it would be to track everyone their fingerprints and how much people it would take. That would never stay a secret and everyone (including me) would have condemned those kind of actions. Just not a realistic fear at all. 

Could you tell me what database would be used ? because as far as I know there is no real fingerprint database in Thailand unlike in for instance the USA.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

You and scorecard brought colours into this. I didn't. Nor am I questioning the result or why the slaves voted for chains. None of us know for certain and anyway, what happens next is far more important.