Trump would stop issuing visas if screenings were inadequate

webfact

Trump would stop issuing visas if screenings were inadequate

By JILL COLVIN

JERSEY CITY, N.J. (AP) — Donald Trump will declare an end to nation building if elected president, replacing it with what aides described as "foreign policy realism" focused on destroying the Islamic State group and other terrorist organizations.

In a speech the Republican presidential nominee will deliver on Monday in Ohio, Trump will argue that the country needs to work with anyone that shares that mission, regardless of other ideological and strategic disagreements. Any country that wants to work with the U.S. to defeat "radical Islamic terrorism" will be a U.S. ally, he is expected to say.

"Mr. Trump's speech will explain that while we can't choose our friends, we must always recognize our enemies," Trump senior policy adviser Stephen Miller said ahead of the speech.

Trump is also expected to outline a new immigration policy proposal under which the U.S. would stop issuing visas in any case where it cannot perform adequate screenings.

It will be the third iteration of a policy that began with Trump's unprecedented call to temporarily bar foreign Muslims from entering the country — a religious test that was criticized across party lines as un-American. In a speech following the Orlando nightclub shooting, Trump introduced a new standard, vowing to "suspend immigration from areas of the world where there is a proven history of terrorism against the United States, Europe or our allies, until we fully understand how to end these threats." Now, aides say, the campaign needs access to undisclosed government documents to assess exactly where the most serious threats lie.

Trump is also expected to propose creating a new, ideological test for admission to the country that would assess a candidate's stances on issues like religious freedom, gender equality and gay rights. Through questionnaires, searching social media, interviewing friends and family or other means, applicants would be vetted to see whether they support American values like tolerance and pluralism.

The candidate is also expected to call in the speech for declaring in explicit terms that, like during the Cold War, the nation is in an ideological conflict with radical Islam.

Trump's Democratic rival Hillary Clinton and top U.S. government officials have warned of the dangers of using that kind of language to describe the conflict, arguing that it plays into militants' hands.

While Trump has been criticized in the past for failing to lay out specific policy solutions, aides say that Monday's speech will again focus on his broader vision. Additional speeches with more details are expected in the weeks ahead, they said.

Trump is also expected to spend significant time going after President Barack Obama and Clinton, the former secretary of state, blaming them for enacting policies he argues allowed the Islamic State group to spread.

"Mr. Trump will outline his vision for defeating radical Islamic terrorism, and explain how the policies of Obama-Clinton are responsible for the rise of ISIS and the spread of barbarism that has taken the lives of so many," Miller said Sunday in an email, using an alternative acronym for the Islamic State group.

The speech comes as Trump has struggled to stay on message. Last week, an economic policy speech he delivered calling for lower corporate taxes and rolling back federal regulations was overshadowed by a series of provocative statements, including falsely declaring that Obama was the "founder" of the Islamic State group.

Trump's allies said Sunday they're confident that this time, the billionaire developer will stay on track.

"Stay tuned, it's very early in this campaign. This coming Monday, you're going to see a vision for confronting radical Islamic terrorism," his vice presidential running mate, Mike Pence, said on Fox News Sunday.

Trump and his top advisers, meanwhile, have blamed the media for failing to focus on his proposals.

"If the disgusting and corrupt media covered me honestly and didn't put false meaning into the words I say, I would be beating Hillary by 20 percent," he tweeted Sunday.

__

Associated Press writer Laurie Kellman contributed to this report from Washington.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-08-15

Good thing Melania Knavs snuck in under the wire.

So Mr. Trump, where do you want this new trophy wife delivered?

"If the disgusting and corrupt media covered me honestly and didn't put false meaning into the words I say, I would be beating Hillary by 20 percent," he tweeted Sunday.

What a whiner.

" Trump is also expected to propose creating a new, ideological test for admission to the country that would assess a candidate's stances on issues like religious freedom, gender equality and gay rights. "

Does this mean that half of the GOP and a part of the Democratic Party as well will be expelled?

Edited by stevenl

from the OP:  "

Trump introduced a new standard, vowing to "suspend immigration from areas of the world where there is a proven history of terrorism against the United States, Europe or our allies, ...."

Half the countries in the world are experiencing terrorism, and that includes Australia, most of Europe, and parts of every continent except Antarctica.  No immigrants from France, Germany, Belgium, UK or Thailand (and dozens of other countries), according to Trump's sage overview. 

Trump should know there is already tough screening processes in place.  Can there be some improvements?  Sure.  

And to fall back on the tired-old bylines like, "I will wipe out terrorism."   Sure Trump, your sheeple will lap it up.   Why not declare you'll wipe out disease, depression, tooth decay, crime, halitosis and athletes foot.  Surely each bad thing you declare war on will elicit howls of support from your rabid fans.

14 minutes ago, stevenl said:

" Trump is also expected to propose creating a new, ideological test for admission to the country that would assess a candidate's stances on issues like religious freedom, gender equality and gay rights. "

Does this mean that half of the GOP and a part of the Democratic Party as well will be expelled?

No, Americans have Constitutional rights to freedom of speech and thought...foreigners wishing to travel to the US do not.

37 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Good thing Melania Knavs snuck in under the wire.

So Mr. Trump, where do you want this new trophy wife delivered?

What a whiner.

Melania Trump came to the United States on a legal visa in 1996, got a green card in 2001 and then became a U.S. citizen in 2006.  That's how you're supposed to do it. You don't just run across the Mexican border expect to be a US citizen. Dumping refugees from Muslim countries that haven't been properly scrutinized, into towns that can't handle them is a bad idea for any country. Especially since ISIS has released statements indicating they are embedding terrorist amongst these refugees. It's insane and suicidal to allow these people in without being processed.

I have never seen the media run hit pieces on a Presidential candidate 24/7 like I have against Trump in this election. This is unprecedented. I've never seen media bias like this ever in my entire life. Is that the kind of world you want to live in? Trump is not a whiner; he has a legitimate reason for criticizing the bias of the media. Even Pravda during the USSR years had more credibility than the current media in the US.

36 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Isn't this just common sense?

Yes! to anyone but a left-wing progressive that thinks it's a good idea to take loads of people from a war torn country and dump them into small towns a cities only to be supported by overburdened tax payers in a country that's already 20 trillion in debt. The sad thing is that there wouldn't even be an immigration crisis if Clinton and Obama hadn't orchestrated the 'Arab Spring' which destroyed Libya, almost destroyed Egypt (thankfully they caught on to the evil scheme) and is now currently destroying Syria. 

"Melania Trump came to the United States on a legal visa in 1996, got a green card in 2001 and then became a U.S. citizen in 2006.  That's how you're supposed to do it."

So we only allow Eastern European models, who marry older wealthy guys? Excellent immigration policy.

I just don't know about Melania Knavs. We need to see all her documents, including her long-form birth certificate. Surely she can release all her documents?

We just don't know what's going on with all these immigrants. I'm told she could be a sleeper agent. At least that's what people are saying.

7 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

"Melania Trump came to the United States on a legal visa in 1996, got a green card in 2001 and then became a U.S. citizen in 2006.  That's how you're supposed to do it."

So we only allow Eastern European models, who marry older wealthy guys? Excellent immigration policy.

I just don't know about Melania Knavs. We need to see all her documents, including her long-form birth certificate. Surely she can release all her documents?

We just don't know what's going on with all these immigrants. I'm told she could be a sleeper agent. At least that's what people are saying.

It doesn't matter who she is or who she married this is the process you must follow to become an American citizen. You hating Meania by association doesn't change the rules. Just try to get citizenship in Thailand and see how far you get with that. I guess the Thai government must be even more evil than Trump.

"I'm told she could be a sleeper agent. At least that's what people are saying." Maybe you should stop hanging around with idiots. My friend was abducted by aliens; really. He told me and that's what people are saying.

1 hour ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

No, Americans have Constitutional rights to freedom of speech and thought...foreigners wishing to travel to the US do not.

It's ok if you don't understand a post, but better to not reply to it then. But I expected nothing else from you.

3 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Tell me more about this "freedom of thought". I'm particularly interested in the technology they will be using to police it.

:coffee1:

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Actually, Melania was working illegally in the US (NYC as a model) under a tourist visa.

As anyone who has tried (and failed) to get US tourist visa for Thai gf, the hurdles they put up are mind boggling. No bureaucrat lose their job for saying "no". The current gauntlet refugees from Syria have to go through takes 18-24 months, and may be reasonable to assume much more demanding.

3 hours ago, TimTang said:

It doesn't matter who she is or who she married this is the process you must follow to become an American citizen. You hating Meania by association doesn't change the rules. Just try to get citizenship in Thailand and see how far you get with that. I guess the Thai government must be even more evil than Trump.

"I'm told she could be a sleeper agent. At least that's what people are saying." Maybe you should stop hanging around with idiots. My friend was abducted by aliens; really. He told me and that's what people are saying.

You are so funny. Made my day. Thanks.

Trump's statement is a large exaggeration, because it treats the exceptional cases as the norm — the FBI Director has not suggested the U.S. "cannot effectively check the backgrounds of the people we are letting into America" as a general or routine matter. He said it about a subset screening process for refugees from a few countries. Generally, the U.S. conducts extensive screening on a sliding scale based on the host country.

Indeed, security and immigration experts have long stressed that the largest screening and vetting problem is NOT Middle Eastern countries, which generally get stricter screening, but favored countries in the Visa Waiver program, which lets people enter the U.S. for up to three months without obtaining a visa or related screening. It's a boon to tourism and business, and includes countries like the UK, Belgium, Denmark, France and Germany.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/orlando-nightclub-massacre/fact-checking-donald-trump-s-orlando-response-speech-n591571

7 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Says someone making nonsensical posts and ad hominem attacks   :cheesy:

You changed your avatar (awfull things) to a picture of Trump. Please defend anything he has said. Don't bother if you claim sarcasm after your comment.

Below is an example of one country that requires understanding and complying to its values for immigrants and in some cases a short term visa. I assume it is used as a component of legal process for deportation / cancellation of visa, if necessary, as why on earth would someone who holds opposite views / values declare they do not comply.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Life/Aust/living-in-australia-values-statement-long

5 hours ago, TimTang said:

Melania Trump came to the United States on a legal visa in 1996, got a green card in 2001 and then became a U.S. citizen in 2006.  That's how you're supposed to do it. You don't just run across the Mexican border expect to be a US citizen. Dumping refugees from Muslim countries that haven't been properly scrutinized, into towns that can't handle them is a bad idea for any country. Especially since ISIS has released statements indicating they are embedding terrorist amongst these refugees. It's insane and suicidal to allow these people in without being processed.

I have never seen the media run hit pieces on a Presidential candidate 24/7 like I have against Trump in this election. This is unprecedented. I've never seen media bias like this ever in my entire life. Is that the kind of world you want to live in? Trump is not a whiner; he has a legitimate reason for criticizing the bias of the media. Even Pravda during the USSR years had more credibility than the current media in the US.

Melania has said that she came to New York in 1996 on a modeling contract and a work visa. But nude photographs that surfaced this week, accounts from Slovenian journalists, and a former roommate all pinpoint her arrival date in 1995, leading to speculation that she may have actually worked in the country on a tourist visa.

https://thinkprogress.org/melania-trump-may-have-worked-in-the-united-states-illegally-631cac17a7a5#.734zm645y

On 8/15/2016 at 5:10 PM, Skywalker69 said:

But nude photographs that surfaced this week, accounts from Slovenian journalists, and a former roommate all pinpoint her arrival date in 1995, leading to speculation that she may have actually worked in the country on a tourist visa.

I

was going to say that I'm not sure laying around in your birthday suit snogging other birds in front of a cameraman is what I would consider "work".

On 8/15/2016 at 11:27 AM, OMGImInPattaya said:

Actually this not true. The Supreme Court has ruled several times that foreigners are "persons" and there is no distinction in there protection under the first ammendment.  

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://scholarship.law.georgetown.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi%3Farticle%3D1302%26context%3Dfacpub&ved=0ahUKEwjr2uS5usPOAhXMpI8KHW1iBtgQFggcMAA&usg=AFQjCNFTSLDRzcTA4mMLVLxf17NrI-Q60w&sig2=sCXx_hCz3W8vM1pU9OUlLg

Are foreign nationals entitled only to reduced rights and 
freedoms? The difficulty of the question is reflected in the  deeply ambivalent approach of the Supreme Court, an ambivalence matched only by the alternately xenophobic and xenophilic attitude of the American public toward immigrants. On the one 
hand, the Court has insisted for more than a century that foreign nationals living among us are "persons" within the meaning of 
the Constitution, and are protected by those rights that the Constitution does not expressly reserve to citizens.

TH

All he had to do was stay on track.  He would have won hands down. Not staying point focused will sadly cost him the election.  Sad day in American politics,  a vile, for the money establishment liar. Who deserves jail. Will be elected as POTUS. Shortly after TPP will become reality and the World will suffer.

On 8/15/2016 at 5:10 PM, Skywalker69 said:

Melania has said that she came to New York in 1996 on a modeling contract and a work visa. But nude photographs that surfaced this week, accounts from Slovenian journalists, and a former roommate all pinpoint her arrival date in 1995, leading to speculation that she may have actually worked in the country on a tourist visa.

https://thinkprogress.org/melania-trump-may-have-worked-in-the-united-states-illegally-631cac17a7a5#.734zm645y

She unintentionally incriminated herself when she admitted going on VISA runs, getting her tourist VISA  renewed while modeling.   Those naked lesbian shots were hot. 

Her fashion line is made offshore in sweatshops. 

Trump and her signed federal tax forms claiming a joint annual income under $500,000.   Accountants speculate the Trumps  pay zero tax.  

A $10 billion fortune earning a lousy 5% will earn you well over $1 million per day. 

1 hour ago, Chicog said:

Tell me more about this "freedom of thought". I'm particularly interested in the technology they will be using to police it.

:coffee1:

That's over the pedantic line Chicog. Freedom of thought. Scary. I don't know if I want that freedom. Sometimes my thoughts...well, let's just not go there. :whistling:

There is nothing wrong with the screening of immigrants coming into the country. It's extremely tough. Ask my TG wife of four years who can't get a simple tourist visa to visit the endless strip malls with the horrible fast food, the traffic and the fat slob Americans. And...and, don't get me going on the tourist visa for my TG nightmare. 

We'll try again in a few months. I seriously don't care if I ever go back to the US again after this. Screw America. Give me a military dictatorship any day. Liberal lefty in my own country, militarist in my adopted country :coffee1:  

You go with winners. 

Oh Dear Maybe i would fail with my Propensity and insistence on using UK English they may not understand what I am saying. And I will fail the screening. Guess i may not be able to visit My sister in the States if this Chump Gets elected President