Philippine president threatens to quit UN over ‘stupid’ criticism of drug war

webfact

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Maybe Philippines should bring back capital punishment which was suspended in 2006. Studies have shown that counties that have capital punishment for serious drug offenses have less drug problems. Singapore is one example.   

And while they're at it, they could start chopping the hands off of thieves.

5 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

And while they're at it, they could start chopping the hands off of thieves.

Singapore doesn't chop hands off of thieves. They cane their ass, literally.

Edited by Pimay1

11 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Studies have shown that counties that have capital punishment for serious drug offenses have less drug problems. Singapore is one example.

Studies have shown that Singapore does not disclose full details of all the people the state kills. At least in Philippines there is no effort to cover it up.

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

Studies have shown that Singapore does not disclose full details of all the people the state kills. At least in Philippines there is no effort to cover it up.

Can you please provide a link to the Singapore statement?

3 hours ago, callaway said:

I was just a moment ago talking to an Aussie mate who lives there. Before the election he said exactly what he was going to do and has not swayed from that path. He tells it straight and there is no bullshit from him. So unlike every other politician in the world. Tells it true and tells it straight. In fact recently there was a politician that ran away from PI because he was covering for big drug dealers. He raced away to US. Duerte said on tv a message to him. "If you ever step back onto PI land I will be waiting at the plane and will shoot you myself". That's style. My mate reckons it is making PI a better place now but will be so much safer in future. Stage one is drug dealers, next corruption. He will stamp it out quickly not like some leaders who pay lip service to it. Maybe he should change countries. Also in PI you apply for a card and then can do 2 month extensions of you visa back to back to back. They are welcoming expats. Doing all to make it easier for foreigners unlike some countries.

During the election campaign an Australian missionary was raped to death in a prison riot so Duterte, in a complex exchange with media, said his only regret was that he could not have been the first in the rape line/queque.

When the Australian ambassador objected Duterte said he'd sever diplomatic relations with Oz after he's elected if Canberra didn't shut up. Simultaneously, when the US ambassador objected to both statements by Duterte, he said the same about the USA, that he'd sever diplomatic relations.

After Duterte took office June 30th, he proclaimed he was having diplomatic arguments with the "gay son of a whore" US ambassador Philip Goldberg who is in fact openly gay. "He pissed me off," in the most common interpretation of Duterte's upset. Many language interpreters also apply the word "bitch" for the word 'whore' that some others apply from the native tongue of Duterte down in Mindanao province. 

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte Calls US Ambassador ‘Gay Son of a Whore

http://time.com/4446262/philippine-president-rodrigo-duterte-calls-us-ambassador-gay-son-of-whore/

Much of the reason Philippine votes went for Duterte is his common life and his one-off simple solutions to everything, crime especially but many things. It's been common the past year to call Duterte the Phil's Donald Trump. Duterte however was mayor of his hometown area of Davao City for 20 years before being elected president. He's well known to have offshore bank accounts which seem to be under continuing investigation without anything ever concluding. The investigations may conclude before too much longer. 

As for Phils-China-USA relations, Duterte would stand up to China if the USA would commit to do the fighting, which Washington says it will do if China attacks the Phils at Scarborough Shoal. But only if Beijing initiates fighting, as the mutual defense treaty provides, and which Beijing should know better than to do, but who knows these days.

Duterte otherwise is hooking up with Japan for protection from a close neighbor. Japan is delivering ten ships and a bunch of aircraft to support the Phils weak armed forces. Duterte just stiffed Beijing by awarding the $2.4 billion Manila elevated railway system to Japan and he's talking even bigger bucks with Tokyo for an extensive rail system in Mindanao to please his family and tens of millions of his friends/voters down there.  

For all his noise in this about China, Duterte really doesn't like 'em. 

6 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

The whole world needs to forget about the war on drugs. It is not working and it leads to excesses like murdering suspects.

Yes some suspects get murdered even innocent ones but when you look at the havoc created by drugs the many people dying leaving children with no parents maybe the mans no quarter given approach is justified. The drug trade can smell weakness in how the government especially a new one approaches their illicit trade. Attacking the drug trade is a popular issue and well you know how politicians and populist policies work except for Shinawatra and the rice scheme. 

21 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Yes some suspects get murdered even innocent ones but when you look at the havoc created by drugs the many people dying leaving children with no parents maybe the mans no quarter given approach is justified. The drug trade can smell weakness in how the government especially a new one approaches their illicit trade. Attacking the drug trade is a popular issue and well you know how politicians and populist policies work except for Shinawatra and the rice scheme. 

Most of the havoc is created because of the money involved. If drugs were decriminalized they would be very cheap with no opportunity for the kind of outsized profits that draw gangsters.

1 minute ago, ilostmypassword said:

Most of the havoc is created because of the money involved. If drugs were decriminalized they would be very cheap with no opportunity for the kind of outsized profits that draw gangsters.

Then they go to ridiculous stuff like sniffing glue or amyl nitrite.  Decriminalization works good for a drug like pot, but not for the hard core stuff.  And the base issue doesn't get resolved.  Why do people huff glue?  I have to admit I tried amyl nitrite a few times in my youth.

4 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Then they go to ridiculous stuff like sniffing glue or amyl nitrite.  Decriminalization works good for a drug like pot, but not for the hard core stuff.  And the base issue doesn't get resolved.  Why do people huff glue?  I have to admit I tried amyl nitrite a few times in my youth.

Why doesn't it work for the hard core stuff?  It you take the money out of the trade in hard core drugs, it gets rid of the gangsters.

The diplomatic two step has started as the Philippines Ambassador to the UN has told the media the country doesn't intend to leave the body and the President's statement was just an expression of his frustration.

Not the first time a   '  leader  '   has made a mess of something and someone else has to clear up behind him  /  her.

Duterte is not going to legalise drugs nor will he pursue due process of law, especially where the law is not so strong or uninvolved. His morality places drugs as an evil under any circumstances.

Duterte promised dead bodies and he's delivering dead bodies. It's the usual round and round in which somebody dies, whether its the victims who buy or, by this approach, the criminals who sell. 

It changes nothing in the long term so it only puts the focus on the tough guy ordering up the dead bodies, Duterte. People who like the dead bodies of the bad guyz like this approach. People who live by the rule of law challenge and try to deflect it or change it. 

The real issue in this kind of approach is state violence which is why UN is interjecting itself as well it must. Duterte has no regard of any such foreign body that doesn't come to the fight with any muscle.

Y'know, action man.

6 hours ago, Pib said:

They all may indeed be corrupt, but it's far from being fair.   If they were guilty he should have had fired them from their positions or arrested them.  But he knows legally he would have a hard time taking-on so many HiSo's at the same time using the legal system/laws; instead he basically taking them on in a political manner/in the media.    Authoritarians/dictators are the ones who don't play fair.   His popularity won't last.

why playing fair with criminals inside the government ???take them down however is the only way to get rid of the scum.

56 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Why doesn't it work for the hard core stuff?  It you take the money out of the trade in hard core drugs, it gets rid of the gangsters.

Amyl nitrate and glue are easily available.  No gangsters, yet widely abused.  Actually, the worst drug is alcohol.  No gangsters, yet ruins thousands of lives every year.

46 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

The diplomatic two step has started as the Philippines Ambassador to the UN has told the media the country doesn't intend to leave the body and the President's statement was just an expression of his frustration.

Not the first time a   '  leader  '   has made a mess of something and someone else has to clear up behind him  /  her.

Sorry everybody I got it wrong as it was the Foreign Minister who made the statement.

6 hours ago, callaway said:

I was just a moment ago talking to an Aussie mate who lives there. Before the election he said exactly what he was going to do and has not swayed from that path. He tells it straight and there is no bullshit from him. So unlike every other politician in the world. Tells it true and tells it straight. In fact recently there was a politician that ran away from PI because he was covering for big drug dealers. He raced away to US. Duerte said on tv a message to him. "If you ever step back onto PI land I will be waiting at the plane and will shoot you myself". That's style. My mate reckons it is making PI a better place now but will be so much safer in future. Stage one is drug dealers, next corruption. He will stamp it out quickly not like some leaders who pay lip service to it. Maybe he should change countries. Also in PI you apply for a card and then can do 2 month extensions of you visa back to back to back. They are welcoming expats. Doing all to make it easier for foreigners unlike some countries.

BS

Trump and Farage both spoke their minds and still got millions of fools to support them

what is your point?

50 minutes ago, Grouse said:

BS

Trump and Farage both spoke their minds and still got millions of fools to support them

what is your point?

Millions of fools to support them. A sure sign of a desperate populous looking to play catch up with the .0001 percent that control all the planets wealth. 

Edited by elgordo38

this guy is a totally mentally fascist retard and shame on people voted for such person. killing people on the streets out of law, vigilantes all around and reports say that many just victimized and just reported as drug dealers out of blue! 

so if i dont like a person, i just report him as drug dealer and let him killed by mobs of police!

Duerte, just man up then and instead of talking bs, just quit from UN, if you have balls of course when China is up in Philippines sea borders and building fortresses on islands normally belong to Philippines!

who are you threatening? poor politics.

Edited by Galactus

UN has provided a great deal of support in disaster relief, AIDS etc in the Philippines, so no surprise the Foreign Minister tried to wind back Duterte's comments. Duterte  has long supported death squads, yet at the same time a supporter of LGBT rights, anti Church, claims he was sexually abused by a Catholic priest, supports autonomy for Muslims in Mindanao (how many right wing TVF members still support him?); all up a complex guy.

Shabu has for years been used in large quantities in the Philippines, this situation must be supported by deeply embedded corruption, as it is in Thailand, so will be interesting to see if Duterte  actually addresses the core issue of corruption.

9 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

Well it seems he was very successful as Mayor, so that is why people were ready to vote him in to the top job. I think that if you are a corrupt official or politician making money from drugs then you need to be afraid. Everyone else is ok. I am unsure why many on here are criticising him, it seems after all he is just Trump without the money, and there are a few Trump lovers on this thread. It is obviously impossible to approve of extra judicial killings but the guy is doing exactly what he said he would do in his manifesto. About two weeks ago he read out loud at a press conference the names of over 300 judges, lawyers, policemen etc that he believes are corrupt. He said, prove to me I am wrong or get out. Hard but fair.

As regards the UN, once again there are MANY on this forum that criticise it for being an ineffective organization. Duterte is just saying what many think, only he seemed to add the word shit a few too many times. I am sure in his own language he was a little more eloquent. Whatever we think seems irrelevant the people in the Philippines seem to love him - all the good people that is.

The UN is not a panacea, and it has taken on too many roles, and there is no organization on this planet that is not influenced.   He also has a simplistic mind that he could fix the major problems of the world, some of them hundreds, even thousands of years in the making.

Everything should go through courts of law.  It's not perfect, but come on dictators, communists, facists....

Also, the drug war does not work.  There is plenty of literature out there to verify that~including those that founded it in the USA.

This guy needs an education.  They seem to be multiplying.

Edited by Redline

Oh I do like that man. He tells that ridiculous organisation the truth- they are completely impotent when it comes to stopping wars. All that happens is a lot of hand wringing and nothing happening. If Trump gets in I hope he pulls the US out and then the whole thing will collapse, as the US pays most of the bills.

The fact that any of the security council can veto any thing makes it a farce. Eg every resolution against Israel has been vetoed by the US.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If Trump gets in I hope he pulls the US out and then the whole thing will collapse, as the US pays most of the bills.

In 2015, the USA paid 22% of the UN's total costs. Japan, Germany, and the UK combined paid about 23%. Those 3 countries together have a smaller GDP and population than the USA yet paid more.

11 hours ago, Bannoi said:

The people elected him because they like what he says and does he may not be PC but that just adds to his appeal.

At least he is a legitimately elected leader why should any other country or organisation stick their nose in where its not wanted.

Just came back from Manila, at immigration the sign on the wall, next to foreigner passport queue, says

"If you interfere in our politics, you will be arrested and deported."

Edited by MissAndry

No doubt there are several countries involved but Duterte is sure he knows the biggest fish of 'em all to catch. Just doesn't know how to deal with such a giant and Duterte is not alone in Asean or throughout the region more broadly....

China harboring major drug lords, says Philippines’ Duterte

“Where is the big fish (in illegal drugs)? If you want them, go to China. Look for them there,” Duterte told soldiers and police during a visit to a military camp.

“I wanted to talk to the ambassador. That is how serious it is. Now, how do I fight this? We cannot just go there and just declare war,” he added.

He did not identify the alleged drug lords and a Chinese embassy spokesman could not be contacted for comment.

http://atimes.com/2016/07/china-harboring-major-drug-lords-says-philippines-duterte/