Police: Man shouts 'Allahu akbar' in Australian knife attack 

webfact

59 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

That is a link to common terms used, not what was asked for.

Which was

This is becoming ludicrous - a quote from my link "definitions of common terms used in the criminal justice process'

Allegation

An assertion made by a party in legal proceedings that is still to be proven.

To repeat the term 'allege' is a legal requirement to be used by media and police until a charge has found to be proven in a Court of law.

No I will not trawl though all the criminal legislation under Federal & State to prove my point

Edited by simple1

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, halloween said:

You don't think people have the right to know that besides the usual reasons they may suffer violence, they may also be attacked because members of a religion think it will please their imaginary friend? Or that members of that religion may take serious offense and react violently to actions you would not otherwise consider dangerous?

My point is, you are still more likely to be attacked by a crazy person that is not using islam as the reason for their attack then one who is. Do you think if the guy had screamed "my father beat me as a child" as he stabbed the unfortunate woman that the AP would have picked up the story?

If every day for a year, a story is published about an attack which includes the phrase "Allah akbar" somewhere in the world with no mention of the hundreds, maybe thousands, of similar attacks where "Allah akbar" is not used that people, susceptible to bias confirmation won't think it is a much larger problem then it is?

You are still more likely to get hit by lightning then killed by nut shouting "Allah akbar".  Do you live your life in fear of getting hit by lightning?  Do you make post after post on the Internet about the dangers of getting hit by lighting and how it will soon cause the end of western culture and democracy as we know it?

TH 

5 minutes ago, thaihome said:

My point is, you are still more likely to be attacked by a crazy person that is not using islam as the reason for their attack then one who is. Do you think if the guy had screamed "my father beat me as a child" as he stabbed the unfortunate woman that the AP would have picked up the story?

If every day for a year, a story is published about an attack which includes the phrase "Allah akbar" somewhere in the world with no mention of the hundreds, maybe thousands, of similar attacks where "Allah akbar" is not used that people, susceptible to bias confirmation won't think it is a much larger problem then it is?

You are still more likely to get hit by lightning then killed by nut shouting "Allah akbar".  Do you live your life in fear of getting hit by lightning?  Do you make post after post on the Internet about the dangers of getting hit by lighting and how it will soon cause the end of western culture and democracy as we know it?

TH 

I see plenty of stories of violence related to drugs, sexual assault, robbery, "love" conflicts, drunkenness. I also see stories of thousands of muslim immigrants, and how "good" that multiculturalism will be, as long as it's not you that makes it into the news.

I also see many stories of the ISIS caliphate and the violence inflicted on its victims, along with their urging followers to carry out random attacks. Glad you don't think that is a major problem.

BTW I take precautions during thunderstorms because I don't want to be killed by lightning.

6 minutes ago, simple1 said:

This is becoming ludicrous - a quote from my link "definitions of common terms used in the criminal justice process'

Allegation

An assertion made by a party in legal proceedings that is still to be proven.

You are becoming ludicrous. There is a reason that no-one on this thread is agreeing with you, have a guess what it is.

Post 15 you said.

until convicted police & media are absolutely required to use the term 'alleged'.

I have asked you to provide a link to the legal legislative to back up your assertion that until convicted the police and the media are absolutely required to use the term '' Alleged ''

I have not asked you to provide a link to the definition of a word, I already know what the word means.

Try again, you might get 3rd time lucky. Even though we both know you wont.

42 minutes ago, simple1 said:

No I will not trawl though all the criminal legislation under Federal & State to prove my point

Ah, you edited your post.

Happily you do not need to.

It does not exist. Every Country in the Western world did not change their whole criminal legislation  just to include the word '' Alleged ''

It was a word that was introduced by the liberal left, PC Correct, hand wringing Brigade, probably to make criminals feel better about themselves.

Just for the benefit of any doubt. There is nothing '' Alleged '' when there is 30 eye witnesses and the perp is arrested on the scene, still in possession of the murder weapon

3 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

It does not exist. Every Country in the Western world did not change their whole criminal legislation  just to include the word '' Alleged ''

It was a word that was introduced by the liberal left, PC Correct, hand wringing Brigade, probably to make criminals feel better about themselves.

Just for the benefit of any doubt. There is nothing '' Alleged '' when there is 30 eye witnesses and the perp is arrested on the scene, still in possession of the murder weapon

The word has been in journalistic use for a long time and has nothing to do with PC. It is used to accurately potray the legal status of a person. Other such words used are indicted or convicted. Many in journalism feel the word is over used and often could be replaced by "accused", but even that is not accurate if the police have not filed charges, so journalists are stuck with alleged. 

Journalism ethics, libel/slander laws, as well as protection of accused to prejudicial reporting require accurate reporting of a person's legal status.

Of course,  posters on an Internet forum are not subject to any ethics or other items mentioned above.

TH 

33 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

Nonsense, the term 'allege' is legally defined and is utilised in countries whose laws are based upon the presumption of innocence. As stated above there have been discussion regards the term, but still in-place in Australia for a variety of legal reasons. Again to repeat it is a legal requirement in Australia for media and police to use 'allege' during the investigation and conviction process. Where media and individuals have failed to use the term 'allege' in the public domain it has from time to time lead to a retrial or overturn of a conviction.

5 hours ago, jaidam said:

quote " Police were still investigating the motive behind the attack and will consider whether mental health issues or drug use was a factor. "

Mental health? Drug issues?? Well it looks like a real tough one to solve. Could the "Allahu Akbar" be some sort of clue as to the motive?????

Yes, of course it is.

But it is not PC to even think that.

Well, mental health probably is the reason, read too much holy book, I presume.

A Frenchman?

Really?

Or just having a French passport and holding on to the mentality and nationality of his forebears?

Edited by hansnl

22 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Again to repeat it is a legal requirement in Australia for media and police to use 'allege' during the investigation and conviction process.

Then provide the statute that makes it law  for the police and media to use allege during this process.

Should be fairly simple, should it not ?

Edited by SgtRock

3 hours ago, monkey4u said:

Whether he yelled God is Great ( I think that is the translation ) or said nothing

He is certainly not using his full bag of marbles, unfortunately for us Australian tax payers we will have to pay to support him for his term in either prison or a mental institute

Too bad we don't have a death penalty 

Just put him in a room for one hour with the victims families. And the tax payers not pay anything.

Eye for an eye.

6 hours ago, jaidam said:

quote " Police were still investigating the motive behind the attack and will consider whether mental health issues or drug use was a factor. "

Mental health? Drug issues?? Well it looks like a real tough one to solve. Could the "Allahu Akbar" be some sort of clue as to the motive?????

What is really worrying is that police forces and authorities in many different countries are now all jumping on the must be mentally ill or abusing drugs theme whilst completely ignoring the fact that these murdering scum should Islamic slogans as the attack innocent people.

Do the expect everyone to simple dismiss the fact he shouted out a pro Islamic statement in Arabic? Is this some kind of brainwashing attempt. Let's all ignore reality and the real reason and perhaps it might go away.

Complete b***ocks.

Continued off-topic bickering about the word 'alleged' will result in suspensions.  

As noted, in many countries, you are considered innocent until proven guilty.   Regardless if the situation, he is technically innocent until a judicial ruling finds him guilty.   In the meantime, he is the alleged perpetrator of the crime.  

55 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

This sort of attack will only get more common. Lone losers attaching themselves to the ISIS banner are almost impossible to identify.  This is a very effective for the ISIS movement as it creates fear just about everywhere.  Very worrying

It will if PC <deleted> authorities keep trying to deny they are radical Islam murderers and put it down to mental health or drug abuse.

<deleted> - the killer shouts out an Islamic slogan in Arabic. 

2 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Something tells me this is not a frenchman named jean claude. :whistling:

I was a tad surprised to learn that the victim is a British woman named "Mia Ayliffe-Chung".

Not the sort of British name I encountered when I was young.

1 hour ago, Scott said:

Continued off-topic bickering about the word 'alleged' will result in suspensions.  

As noted, in many countries, you are considered innocent until proven guilty.   Regardless if the situation, he is technically innocent until a judicial ruling finds him guilty.   In the meantime, he is the alleged perpetrator of the crime.  

Well done Scott.

6 hours ago, Thechook said:

Australian media and authorities don't mention the word islam as muslims and apologists start screaming racism even tho islam isn't a race.  People are afraid to link islam to this as being branded a racist is worse than being branded a paedophile.  The racism card in Australia is the most powerful thing carried by apologists.

Same in the USA. Gotta start calling 'em as they really are. PC is BS and has been taken to ridiculous extremes. The White House (is that racist?) won't even use the term Islamic Extremists.

Just recently Good Morning America hostess apologized for using the term "colored people". W-T-F?!? WHY?!? This is offensive? This is a racial slur? NOT!!!

The NAACP is the largest African-American civil rights group in the USA. It stands for... National Association for the Advancement of Colored People :crazy:

http://pagesix.com/2016/08/22/amy-robach-apologizes-for-mistakenly-using-racial-slur-on-gma/

"The dead woman was named by Australian and British media as Mia Ayliffe-Chung, from Derbyshire, who was reported to be days into a three-month working holiday in the area after having worked in a bar in the Gold Coast. "

Another good British name, was the victim Muslim?

3 hours ago, Scott said:

Really ?

Is that why multitudes of people are refused bail and are kept incarcerated despite not having found guilty of anything.

Sorry, this innocent until proven guilty does not really stack up.

29 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

"The dead woman was named by Australian and British media as Mia Ayliffe-Chung, from Derbyshire, who was reported to be days into a three-month working holiday in the area after having worked in a bar in the Gold Coast. "

Another good British name, was the victim Muslim?

British Asian actually and definately not Muslim I would think. I just saw pictures of her on bbc news. A very much loved girl by all accounts and very beautiful. So sad. My condolences to the family. 

Edited by goldenbrwn1

9 hours ago, jaidam said:

Imagine this same scenario in Thailand or other developing country...