Nervous flyer? - not what you want to see outside your aircraft window

webfact

1 hour ago, Ricardo said:

I rather doubt that the Nok Air engineering-department at Nan is all that big ?

So correct to RTB, where they do have full staff/stores, at DMK.

Somchai the repair man was on holiday that day, and nobody else could find any patches for the inner tube...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So he burst a tyre on takeoff. Nothing unusual.

He completed his climb out sequence ... Normal. take stock,, almost no affect on flying 

the started to make  landing prep.. again normal 

everything correct ...& no it may not have been visible on the preflight around the plane

(Normally undertaken by the 1st officer) 

I have experienced the same. Approximately 30 years ago I flew from Oslo to Bergen in Norway when the captain announced that the outer rubber layer on one of the wheels was left on the runway in Oslo (Fornebu). But as the captain said, we have many wheels, so do not be afraid. We circled over Bergen airport several times to empty the plane for fuel. When we finally landed, we had to sit in a certain position. Firetrucks and ambulances were ready at the airport if something should go wrong. I have never experienced such a soft landing. This was a jet with over a hundred passengers.

3 hours ago, Romeland said:

How could the wheel be almost level with a passenger window ?  I'm sure you can't see the wheels from your seat in a plane ?

Depends on the plane... Obviously, as the photo demonstrated.

this is a small "over wing" plane... Hope that helps.

and this type of thing happens... Moreso with aircraft that aren't maintained as well as they might.... Luckily he had dual tires... Otherwise a wheels up landing may have been required

as to timing... Landing after only a half hour, may not be the best option in this scenario, unless the pilots could "dump" fuel in flight.... But I'm sure other better qualified people can comment on this

Not sure having a wheel in stock at NNT as a determining factor?

Probably a bit more safety gear/emergency personnel at DMK to handle any potential problems vs. NNT? Better medical care as well. Ready stocks of black paint too. So the decision to return to DMK seems prudent.

Perhaps he was dumping off fuel.

At low altitudes, flying over Bangkok. Hopefully not. Is MLW an issue with that type of plane? Does it even have systems to "dump" fuel, on purpose, I mean?

Edited by mtls2005

4 hours ago, animalmagic said:

Makes sense.  Maintain scheduled course and speed whilst considering options.  Fully examine extent of damage and chances of successful landing; whilst considering landing strip and emergency facilities of all available runways - Don Mueang most likely best.  During this time he has also been burning fuel in an attempt to lower the total amount available should things go wrong and a fire breaks out on landing.  Plus it allows time for discussions with HQ and more experienced pilots, and gives time for emergency services to be briefed and ready.

All ended well.

Good operating procedure. It amazes me the number of prejudiced people on this forum who continue to give negative comment on topics they know nothing about.

The proper procedure was adopted,  the aircraft would be carrying to much fuel and to heavy for immediate return for landing , the only problem would be drag with the under carriage  down , at no time would the Captain bother with a landing a Nan,  the aircraft for all intents a purpose wasn't endangered , quite a few blow tyres on landing.......................................................:coffee1:

4 hours ago, bark said:

What you said makes perfect sense; and well thought out.

But there is also chance he wanted to go to the toilet. As he was sh.t himself.

Well said and I might add there are aircraft who take-off way over their safe structural landing weight. In the olden days we could dump fuel to get down to a maximum landing weight.. Many of today's aircraft do not have that capability... Also besides the fact that having two tires (or many more) for weight distribution on a landing gear it is also a safety measure in the event one blows..  

4 hours ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

Not surprised, NOK used to use old pick up trucks to unload the plane.  It does seem the ground inspection would have revealed excessive wear.  Then again not.  He'd probably catch it for delaying take off. 

Looks like an inadequate ground inspection prior to the flight. I wonder if the pilot saw the problem once airborne or maybe a passenger (who had better view) notified a flight attendant.

5 hours ago, Romeland said:

How could the wheel be almost level with a passenger window ?  I'm sure you can't see the wheels from your seat in a plane ?

The cheapest ticket on nok air is to be duct taped to the bottom of the aircraft.....

7 hours ago, animalmagic said:

Makes sense.  Maintain scheduled course and speed whilst considering options.  Fully examine extent of damage and chances of successful landing; whilst considering landing strip and emergency facilities of all available runways - Don Mueang most likely best.  During this time he has also been burning fuel in an attempt to lower the total amount available should things go wrong and a fire breaks out on landing.  Plus it allows time for discussions with HQ and more experienced pilots, and gives time for emergency services to be briefed and ready.

All ended well.

Well said.  A damaged tire does not impact the ability of the plane to fly.  There is no need to hurry to get it on the ground.  Better to take your time, consider all of the options available, and coordinate with people on the ground so they can make necessary preparations for the landing.  

Obviously had this been something that compromised the integrity of the aircraft or its ability to remain in the air, a decision would have come more quickly but it didn't so why rush it?  

Most likely nothing spectacular, as the still good tire has a larger radius and hits the ground first. It may shed a few more pieces of rubber. System is designed so one tire can take the full weight just for cases like this.

7 hours ago, animalmagic said:

All ended well.

True, but seems to me this could have happened on his previous landing and the pilot did not do a routine walk around of his aircraft prior to take off, yes real pilots still do this.

Jeesh you guys. What happened with this aircraft happens all over the world on a regular basis. How many of you are driving with near-bald tyres or other defects...including drink driving that could take our yourself and sadly..some innocents.  

I recall so well your comments when Nok Air released their calendar and you were all agog with admiration.  

Really..some of you shouldn't even fly.  Bunch of drama Queens. 

8 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

it's probably a high wing turboprop plane so the landing gear is quite visible.

The Nok Air fleet consists as follows

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nok_Air

Nok Air fleet

Aircraft Total Orders Passengers Notes

C Y Total

Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 NextGen8-—8686Launch customer for high-density variation

ATR 72-5002——6666

Boeing 737 MAX 808—TBATBA

Boeing 737-80022[14]3—189189

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_Dash_8

Flybe dash8 g-jecl takeoff manchester arp.jpg

2 hours ago, ableguy said:

True, but seems to me this could have happened on his previous landing and the pilot did not do a routine walk around of his aircraft prior to take off, yes real pilots still do this.

Yes, but you have zero evidence of that.  It's purely your own speculation.  It could have also happened 3 weeks ago and he's been flying it like that for dozens of flights.  Not likely but since we can just speculate anything without facts . . . why not?  

2 hours ago, digibum said:

Yes, but you have zero evidence of that.  It's purely your own speculation.  It could have also happened 3 weeks ago and he's been flying it like that for dozens of flights.  Not likely but since we can just speculate anything without facts . . . why not?  

Aviation incidents always spawn ignorant, wannabe, drama queen commentary here on TV.  Always.  Everyone's suddenly either a 20,000-hr pilot or a person with special "engineering" knowledge...  

A Nok Air de Havilland Dash 8-400, registration HS-DQE performing flight DD-8826 from Bangkok Don Muang to Nan (Thailand) with 81 people on board, was climbing out of Don Muang Airport when the inboard left hand main tyre was seen burst. The crew stopped the climb at FL150 and returned to Don Muang for a safe landing about 30 minutes after departure.

A replacement Dash 8-400 registration HS-DQB reached Nan with a delay of 105 minutes.

https://www.aeroinside.com/item/8160/nok-dh8d-at-bangkok-on-aug-25th-2016-burst-tyre-on-departure?utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=20160827

Have we decided on if we can see the wheels or not? A video I took a few years ago. Camera pointing out the window while I was looking straight forward as I don't like landings. Scared?

Well, maybe a wee bit scared now at the old age. For sure, the excitement of flying is long gone.

Edited by Aladdin