Chuvit Garden near Asoke

laban

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/2/2018 at 10:20 PM, jomtien99 said:

Chuvit gardens is definitely closed for good and will be redeveloped - it is such a shame as it was a nice small garden with some large trees, benches and a lovely gazebo. It was a private garden owned by the ex-massage king Chuvit, and with very few green spaces in Bangkok, sad to see it go for another development of some sort.

A shame indeed.  It is going to be developed in to (yet another) hotel.

A hotel is what he wants for sure, he has some experience of this. Though  most likely, given the location, he will want to work with an international branded group this time.

I was stalled in traffic right outside today and ,now they have pulled some of the perimeter wall down , you really notice the really beautiful trees ! 

Given the size I would guess most of them have been there some time, including the period during which it was a night market/bar area. I would guess there will be protest if he starts to fell these, but then maybe he will just have them removed after dark as he did with the many small businesses that used to occupy the area before.

23 hours ago, wordchild said:

I would guess there will be protest if he starts to fell these, but then maybe he will just have them removed after dark as he did with the many small businesses that used to occupy the area before.

The small ones are gone already, sure the bigger and older ones are next

Truly sad

If you guys love parcs and tree's so much than maybe it's time to move to a moobaan?? They have great parcs and only inhabitants hang out there. They can have lakes with pools, tenniscourts, soccerfields, bicycletracks, walkingtracks, playground, lawns...everything one can wish for. Plus houses with gardens.

Most people have to live in a big city for work.  That's where the jobs are.  It's sad when those people can't get to a park after work because the traffic is so bad and there are so few of them.  In fairness there are bigger and better parks than this one at Asoke and Phrom Phong, but still, any green space is welcomed and we need more of it not less.

1 hour ago, jomtien99 said:

I now hear from someone who spoke to Khun Chuvit that the development will include a tower of 60 floors.

That seems kind of hard to imagine....  The park parcel itself is not that wide, and is bordered on one side by Soi 10...  Plus, just by way of comparison, the Exchange and Interchange towers nearby at the major intersection of Sukhumvit and Asoke are only mid 30s to low 40s stories in height.

9 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Most people have to live in a big city for work.  That's where the jobs are.  It's sad when those people can't get to a park after work because the traffic is so bad and there are so few of them.  In fairness there are bigger and better parks than this one at Asoke and Phrom Phong, but still, any green space is welcomed and we need more of it not less.

My neighbour works at Gaysorn, spends many hours a day in the car with her kid.

But for kids a moobaan is the only way to live me thinks.

I was in the park next to Emporium last week, nice park there with some great condo's looking at it.

Yes, living on Soi 10 myself I was said to hear (rumours) about the new 45 storey building they plan to build there. :-(

Another rumour that I heard today (again) was about the little wooden bridge at the end of the Soi into Benjakiti will be demolished and replaced by a concrete 2way bridge in 2019. God knows how much traffic this will add to out little Soi. It’s bad enough these days when they open the gates for through traffic at the Tabacco company ... 

Just now, Patanawet said:

Has everyone forgotten how this space became Chuvit Park?

It involved men in black and bulldozers. Many stakeholders losing their livelyhoods.

Google it.

Yes, and ...? 

No, I haven´t.... But should I be less annoyed or even be happy about the park being now completely destroyed for yet another ****** skyscraper just because the park´s history isn´t to our liking? 

Edited by DUS

28 minutes ago, moonseeker said:

Wow. They should send a delegation to Singapore to learn how a city can be properly and green developed and smell clean and fresh.... Plus a few thousand other things they could learn there.... Daydreaming..... MS>

Orchard Towers used to be one of my favourites

3 hours ago, moonseeker said:

Wow. They should send a delegation to Singapore to learn how a city can be properly and green developed and smell clean and fresh.... Plus a few thousand other things they could learn there.... Daydreaming..... MS>

Yes how to empty your bars by 9.30pm by making the drinks £17 a beer after 9pm.

Highly effective policy.

On 1/13/2018 at 9:50 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That seems kind of hard to imagine....  The park parcel itself is not that wide, and is bordered on one side by Soi 10...  Plus, just by way of comparison, the Exchange and Interchange towers nearby at the major intersection of Sukhumvit and Asoke are only mid 30s to low 40s stories in height.

I remember when Trendy condos was open and selling. A selling point was that, in the future, nothing over 8 floors could legally be built. So their views were unblockable.

7 hours ago, DUS said:

No, I haven´t.... But should I be less annoyed or even be happy about the park being now completely destroyed for yet another ****** skyscraper just because the park´s history isn´t to our liking? 

It was at soi 6 suk. still a empty lot

On 30/08/2016 at 3:01 AM, Thainess said:

Good! While they're at it, can they also close those other smelly, run-down city centre parks like Lumpini, Benjasiri and Benjakiti? Whenever I pass through them, the smell of the stagnant filthy water makes me retch. They are a severe public health hazard. I imagine you could die if you got splashed with any of that infected water and it went in your mouth, or you were bitten by one of those 2-metre long water lizards. Just think how many condo and office block and shopping mall developments you could fit inside them, especially Lumpini Park. Few people even use the parks (except Lumpini for jogging in the evening), so I say close them all and build some more much needed shopping malls. They are a waste of space and money.

no standing water and well maintained, your comparison lacks validity.

2 hours ago, moe666 said:

It was at soi 6 suk. still a empty lot

AFAIK, the former beer bars area that Chuwit owned, had leased out, and later was bulldozed overnight by security forces, supposedly because the tenants didn't want to move out, WAS/IS the current Chuwit Gardens area at the corner of Soi 10.

He later developed the area as an (apparently privately owned) park, perhaps as a way of making amends for the bulldozing and/or to try to avoid the ultimate brief prison sentence that he finally ended up serving many years later for his role in the illegal bulldozing of the site.

But now the criminal court case is gone, he's served a brief prison sentence and been released, so apparently, it's OK to go back to business as usual or at least finally make a windfall off his original land holding.

BTW, the empty lot at the corner of Suk Rd and Soi 6 has just been cleared on its native vegetation in the past week or so, so it's down to clean bare earth right now --  kind of giving the appearance that someone's getting getting to do something there. But AFAIK, Chuwit has nothing to do with the Soi 6 corner.

4 hours ago, Forethat said:

Am I wrong remembering a sign inside the park which said that Chuvit was sentenced to build a park on the land to compensate for the wrongful evictions? 

I never remember or have heard of such a sign at the site. I don't think there ever was a court ruling that required him to develop the park. Rather, I think it was just a bit of public relations to curry favor with the public and perhaps the courts prior to his criminal case finally being resolved.

There was a stone plaque at the entrance saying the park was either built or given (don't remember the specific wording) by the Chuwit family. That stone plaque has been removed from the front wall of the area in the past few weeks, along with the decorative lamps and various other items -- though the large trees that line the area remain there, at least for the time being, but probably not for long.