Do you enjoy buffets here?

JJGreen

16 minutes ago, JJGreen said:

It's how lovers do it...they keep saying goodnight but dont want to be the first to leave.

Not sure who he is keen on...

12 minutes ago, Testacall said:

Its how lovers do it...they keep sayinng goodnight but dont want to be the first to leave.
Not sure whonhe is keen on..

11 minutes ago, Testacall said:

Spellings a little off JJ but I'll try and figured it out ...Night Night

Nice Try JJ ....Have another beer ...

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, zd1 said:

As someone else said Brazilian style por kilo restaurants are great, the first time I was in one I piled the food high on the plate and noticed most people with smaller amounts, I was getting full about half way through and noticed that everybody else was eating everything on their plate so I thought I'm going to have to eat all mine as well took about an hour and a half and could barely move, I learned my lesson and only put on the plate what I could eat comfortable.

They take the weight of the plate off first so you don't lose out if you go back and back, just get another 'kilo' slip.

I enjoy buffets. Not because I can eat a lot in one (it is very easy to eat a lot anywhere, if one wants to) but because a good buffet gives me the possibility of tasting many different items without having to order an entire plateful of each one. It also allows me to see what I am getting before I get it. Also it allows me to serve myself, instead of having someone else deciding what to put on my plate. All this seems very satisfactory.

I've been to buffets that cost under 100B and others that cost well over 2000B, and hundreds of others at every price in between. They all have their good and bad points but cost alone is not a good indication of value.

That said, I think that lobster (real lobster, not rock lobster or langoustine) is very rare in buffets here unless you are paying in the thousands of Baht.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

With a few excerpt exceptions, you guys have now managed to spend two full web pages of a thread supposedly on buffets in Thailand on word games and other stuff entirely unrelated to the subject at hand.

Any chance of getting back on topic any time in the near future....

Worse than that that it has made me have to agree with SB for the first time since i have been on Thai Visa.

20 hours ago, rogeroc said:

I don't like the concept of set priced buffets.

The answer is Brazilian style, lunchtime 'Kilo Restaurants' They are inexpensive, good food and often wth the addedd bonus of a meat selection cooked in front of you. You pay by the weight of food on your plate so there is no incentive to over eat. Be good to see the concept in Thailand.

Interesting.  My GF actually found a clothes shop that sells clothes by weight.  The owner buys them second hand by weight and sells them the same way.  All name brand stuff mind you.  25 baht for every 100 grams.  The smaller the size generally the better the deal.  My GF is XS so works for us. 

The Japanese buffet I wrote about earlier had Alaska king crab legs. Also stations that cooked Australia rib eye. Lamb and grilled foir gras. The entire bar was open as well. The sushi chefs had food out on platters but they also made sushi to order.

Now I need to find out if it's still going.

I  probably do not eat enough to say 1000-1500 baht is good value even in the west , 

some small place like a 300-500 baht lunch with lots of interesting flavors might be fun, 

I do not have to pig out on lobster, shrimp or prime rib  so the expensive ones are not for me

18 hours ago, Kabula said:

Yes, I enjoy the Sizzler and the Nana Hotel buffet in Bangkok.  

I enjoy the Lek buffet at the Lek hotel on Soi 13 in Pattaya.

There is a Sizzler on Beach Road in the mall  near the McDonald's around  Soi 16 as I recall in Pattaya.

Everything in moderation.

You apparently went overboard on your moderation of good taste--seriously, Sizzler, as a good buffet?

You apparently went overboard on your moderation of good taste--seriously, Sizzler, as a good buffet?

Sizzler has a good salad bar...which is what the buffet is.
Havent seen any other salad bar match it for price here.

42 minutes ago, JJGreen said:

Me neither. For the price it is great value. In fact I've never seen a better salad bar at any price here.

I never bother with the main courses when I go there: I just have the soup and salad bar.

19 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Me neither. For the price it is great value. In fact I've never seen a better salad bar at any price here.

I never bother with the main courses when I go there: I just have the soup and salad bar.

The main course is not much more than the salad bar. You'll see many people get the main course in a box to go home and just eat the salad bar.  Cheap charlies?

The main course is not much more than the salad bar. You'll see many people get the main course in a box to go home and just eat the salad bar.  Cheap charlies?

Thats just the weekday lunch special? You get a choice of 3 mains and salad bar for about 169 baht for the crumbed fish to 220 baht for the minced steak.
Take it home and u have a second meal for 20 or 50 baht....or give it to your pet.

The salad bar by itself is enough

2 hours ago, JJGreen said:

A buffet is only a salad bar?  You obviously have no idea what a buffet is.

2 hours ago, JJGreen said:

Thats just the weekday lunch special? You get a choice of 3 mains and salad bar for about 169 baht for the crumbed fish to 220 baht for the minced steak.
Take it home and u have a second meal for 20 or 50 baht....or give it to your pet.

The salad bar by itself is enough

I generally go at lunchtime and if it is a weekday I generally order the fish and chips as it only costs 10B more than the salad bar does on its own. The fish is so-so and I rarely eat it but the chips are nice enough. I dont think I would bother taking either home with me.

The full-priced main courses are quite expensive for what they are and dont really suit my taste very much. The salad and soup are definitely the main attraction for me and without them I would surely never go to Sizzler.

17 hours ago, rogeroc said:

They take the weight of the plate off first so you don't lose out if you go back and back, just get another 'kilo' slip.

I learned that after the first time and would often go back for more when I had eaten the first plate, the first time my eyes were bigger than my belly or I was just plain greedy and wanted to try all the delicious looking food.

I love eating but when I hit 40 a few years ago my appetite seemed to shrink and I just can't eat as much as I used to.

20 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Cafe G at Chidlom is a good, modestly priced buffet option, though I think the dinner buffet is higher priced than the lunch version. But, nice selection of different styles of foods, pretty fresh, and includes soft drinks bar.

Best Beef, to me, is a kind of higher end moo krata place. But the good part is, they focus on several different thin sliced cuts of beef, along with other meats, seafoods, veggies, etc. But unlike the typical moo krata places, the uncooked food you order is served on individual plates fresh out of their kitchen, instead of you spooning it out of big bins that are often neither kept hot nor chilled.

Meanwhile, the new Holiday Inn at Suk Soi 22 also has a lunch and dinner buffet available daily from a dining area right next to their roof area swimming pool. Nice environment for indoor or outdoor buffet eating at their Zeta Cafe. And with Eatigo''s 50% discount, the price gets down to the 350-400 baht range.

Thanks, I was seriously considering this Castle G until I saw the service charges and tax added on to the price. I never eat in places 

or stay in hotels who cannot be upfront with their prices.

19 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

That depends who you go to the pub with. I generally choose those capable of a decent conversation - and without such a chip on their shoulder.

"and without such a chip on their shoulder".

But you don't like sex mongers or old folk who go to Tescos food court at On Nut for their breakfast. or the area at lower Sukhumvit.

19 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

I don't presume superiority to anybody. If my use of a perfectly normal english word caused you to feel somehow inferior, that's not my responsibility.

Unless, like I suggested, you're asking us to dumb things down a little for you, this whole diversion from the topic seems somewhat pointless.

"I don't presume superiority to anybody."

Not even the old guys who meet at Tesco On Nut food Court for breakfast?

19 hours ago, Testacall said:

Spellings a little off JJ but I'll try and figured it out ...Night Night

Soi Biker hurt my feelings last night, I said I was not going out because I wanted

another long debate with him, and the debate hardly got started.