Eight Thai universities make world rankings

webfact

Eight Thai universities make world rankings

THE NATION 

30294596-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- EIGHT THAI higher-education institutions have made it into |the latest list of the world’s top universities, with Chulalongkorn University (CU) leading the Thai group.

Released today, the QS World University Rankings 2016/2017 place CU at 252, up one place from a year earlier. Mahidol University was the second best-performing Thai institution, climbing to the 283rd spot from 295 last year.

Chiang Mai University comes next, remaining in the range of 551-600. Thammasat University ranks in the 601-650 range like last year. Kasetsart University, however, has slipped from the 651-700 range to the 701+1 band, now sharing the same level as Khon Kaen University, King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi and Prince of Songkla University.

First published in 2004, the QS World University Rankings this year highlights 916 of the world's top universities, based on six key performance indicators including reputation and citations. While the academic reputation of Thai universities has improved, the number of research citations has fallen.

More than 3,800 institutions around the world were reviewed in compiling the list, with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology retaining the top spot, followed by two other American universities.

Stanford University moved into second spot, replacing Harvard University, which slipped into the third place. 

England's Cambridge University took fourth place, with the California Institute of Technology in fifth.

The best Southeast Asian performer was the National University of Singapore, which now sits in 12th place, with another Singaporean institution, Nanyang Technological University, one place behind.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Eight-Thai-universities-make-world-rankings-30294596.html

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-09-06

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I read the article title, the first thing that popped into my head was "what rankings were they referring to"?  When I was a freshman in college I made the Dean's list.  The good Dean's list.  However in my second year I also made the Dean's list, but it was the other Dean's list. 

Another obsessed rankings article that is just one of the major downfalls of the education system. How about raising standards at the grass root level and then tertiary levels and finally university. I would be jumping for joy if I actually believe these ranking had any credibility other than someone getting a pat on the back.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

Talk about spin. Don't think those results are anything to brag about. Mahidol appears to have made some progress while the rest stagnate. Thai university staff publish a lot however very rarely in the top international peer reviewed journals. Wonder why? Offer to edit a paper(it's required duty of most foreign teachers at said universities) of Thai university teachers. They do present at local conferences and internationally. But the international conferences are unique.

They travel abroad (paid junket) to Europe to present papers at conferences that are held in hotels by corporations staging simultaneous conferences for diverse subjects. NES colleagues invited to present at an international conference by the leading linguistics association happened to be in same city one time as the Thai colleagues. Went by to see some of their presentations and was surprised either 0-3 people present to listen. Most of.conferences they post on the faculty away board are by this same organization. They can take a weekend travel trip before and after. My university had now added the.requirement that publication must be done within 2 years of.international presentation to be eligible for another paid international presentation. Thus the scramble to get their work published in Thai peer reviewed English language journals. The (lack of) quality astounds. We hired a new foreign teacher who stated on.his.resume he was a reviewer for an esteemed ESL international journal. He is being hounded to see if he can get their papers in.the journal bypassing the system.

Wow both my Universities came in top 150 whilst Thailand's very best at 252 bit surprised that the very best in Thailand cannot beat one of the Unis I attended which was an ex-polytechnic and, frankly, not that great but mediocre  

Edited by LannaGuy

This ranking process is fraught with conflict-of-interest motives, cronyism and self-congratulations.    It's much like the Oscars--where Hollywood uses it as a showcase to promote itself.  

I've observed the process up close and personal.  

First of all, the QS system is made up of the universities that comprise its membership, and is by no means a comprehensive group of world-wide universities.   It is only one of many ranking groups/organizations for universities.   Further, It's a body that ranks itself.  The source data?  Mostly unaudited information supplied by the universities themselves.  I shudder to think of the "smoke and mirrors" data that is supplied across the board by the schools who want to put their best foot forward.  

It's not the only one ranking group---there are MANY university ranking groups and each one has its own spin and membership.   The purpose?  Strictly commercial/economic:  to attract students and boost applications.   

The motivation, membership, and process is a classic case study in conflict-of-interest motives and processes. 

The reliability of rankings?  The operable expression here is:  "grain of salt."    

Probably the best ranking assessment would be to aggregate the data of the 26 or so university ranking organizations in order to get a truer picture of where your particular favorite university stands.  Even then, IMHO, it's not an objective nor necessarily accurate evaluation.  A nearby university ranks at 300 on one list, but at approximately 6,000 on another organization's ranking.  Talk about shaking your faith in the ability to home in on a "true" ranking, whatever that is!  

Edited by Fookhaht

31 minutes ago, thai3 said:

So they are all embarrassingly poorly placed then, as usual.

Look at it from the Thai perspective - any rich family with plenty of money and some social influence are very very proud that their not-too-bright kids have gained a place at Chula. This is the top of Thai society. Graduating is apparently a formality. Getting accepted is the achievement. They do not care what the foreign universities do. Thai is all that matters. A degree from Chula opens the doors to a "career" in Thai society.

Rich families with plenty of money and smart kids often choose to educate their kids overseas instead. Therefore the rankings are useful to them. They also care little what ranking Chula achieves. They already know the relative values.

This year's Shanghai Rankings also came out a few weeks ago ( http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2016.html ). Unsurprisingly, no Thai universities in the top 500:

1. Harvard University
2. Stanford University
3. University of California, Berkeley

<<<< Edited the long list for brevity, please read the supporting link >>>>

Edited by metisdead

22 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Another obsessed rankings article that is just one of the major downfalls of the education system. How about raising standards at the grass root level and then tertiary levels and finally university. I would be jumping for joy if I actually believe these ranking had any credibility other than someone getting a pat on the back.

You might want to check what tertiary education is.  :-)