UK State Pension - What is absolute minimum ?

Speedo1968

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, manxninja said:

If you are British and havnt paid in enough contributions, dont worry you will recieve income support instead, still not much but not much difference betwen that and a pension, you will also get housing beneifit ect, so try not to worry.

If you are not resident in the UK you are not eligible for income support nor for any other benefit.

2 hours ago, manxninja said:

If you are British and havnt paid in enough contributions, dont worry you will recieve income support instead, still not much but not much difference betwen that and a pension, you will also get housing beneifit ect, so try not to worry.

That depends on what savings you have. Income support and housing benefit are means tested. If you receive a state pension, regardless of how small, it isn't means tested, you receive it regardless of what savings you have.

7 minutes ago, Maybole said:

If you are not resident in the UK you are not eligible for income support nor for any other benefit.

AND, eligibility for many benefits now requires the applicant to have been resident in the UK for the past 104 weeks out of the previous 156 weeks.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/Factsheets/FS25_Returning_from_abroad_fcs.pdf?dtrk=true

4 hours ago, manxninja said:

5 hours ago, steve187 said:

minimum required for new state pension is 10 years of contributions in own name, so a minimum is 10/35 of about £150 or nothing

However as the OP is 69 the old rules apply so it is 30 years for a full £105 pension. And if there are not enough qualifying years then you will be entitled to a £0 pension and £0 other benefits as a non resident.

you can not qualify for the new pension by delaying claiming. 

however if you do have more than 10 years your pension will have increased if you have not claimed it yet.

13 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Q..." What is the absolute minimum State Pension payable for someone aged 69 " .

It is Calculated on the number of years you have paid UK NIC contribution.  

I had a boss in BKK, he never paid any NI contributions but apparently applied for and receives a pension as there is a minimum amount for all British subjects. I don't have any idea how much it is. It surprised me, but there you go.

4 hours ago, chiang mai said:

AND, eligibility for many benefits now requires the applicant to have been resident in the UK for the past 104 weeks out of the previous 156 weeks.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/Factsheets/FS25_Returning_from_abroad_fcs.pdf?dtrk=true

Not quite correct,it's not written in stone that you must be resident back in the UK for 104 wks,this is at the officials discretion.

What I did find interesting is that most of these benefits are based on residency in the UK,not on British nationality and the fact that a returning applicant may have paid N.I. and  income tax into the system for many years, in deed many applicants could be still paying Income tax. Compare this with Thailand,where  a returning Thai 

would be eligible for health care the minute they get off the plane, simple based on their Nationality, so unlike us non-Thais who have very few rights.

Personally even though it discriminates  against me, I think the Thais have got it right.

2 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Not quite correct,it's not written in stone that you must be resident back in the UK for 104 wks,this is at the officials discretion.

What I did find interesting is that most of these benefits are based on residency in the UK,not on British nationality and the fact that a returning applicant may have paid N.I. and  income tax into the system for many years, in deed many applicants could be still paying Income tax. Compare this with Thailand,where  a returning Thai 

would be eligible for health care the minute they get off the plane, simple based on their Nationality, so unlike us non-Thais who have very few rights.

Personally even though it discriminates  against me, I think the Thais have got it right.

Did you even bother to click on the link and read what is written or are you, as usual, just winging it!

Here, Page 7 of the link, the document therein is specific to returning expats:

"To claim any disability benefits or Carer’s Allowance you must be present and ‘ordinarily resident’ in Great Britain and have been present for not less than 104 of the last 156 weeks, that is 2 out of the last 3 years. See section 2.2 for information about ‘ordinary residence’. The 104-week presence requirement does not apply for PIP and AA if you are terminally ill. If you are covered by EU rules, periods of residence in another EEA country may count as residence in Great Britain for these benefits, and reciprocal agreements with some non EEA countries contain similar rules. In some cases you may be able to rely on EU law to satisfy the 104 week presence test".
BTW there is no reciprocal agreement with Thailand.

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

A friend of mine gets 67P a week ! Yes sixty seven pence every week. I fare a little better at around a fiver a week. We are both in our 70,s, born and bred in U.K. but let,s be fair, they do need most of the money to pay all the illegal immigrants who have no intention of working or integrating :(

Presumably you did not pay full NI contributions but were self-employed and/or contracted out into a private pension scheme.

5 minutes ago, nontabury said:

If you do not stay more than 90 Days in the UK irrespective of how many N.I. Contributions you have paid you will be charged at one and a half times the cost of your treatment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/expat-health/11571256/British-expats-from-outside-Europe-must-pay-for-NHS-hospital-care.html

56 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

I had a boss in BKK, he never paid any NI contributions but apparently applied for and receives a pension as there is a minimum amount for all British subjects. I don't have any idea how much it is. It surprised me, but there you go.

The minimum is zero.

If this was prior to about a decade ago and he had been married to somebody making NI contributions, then he could receive a pension under those rules. This is no longer the case, and only personal contributions count and not the spouse's.

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

However as the OP is 69 the old rules apply so it is 30 years for a full £105 pension. And if there are not enough qualifying years then you will be entitled to a £0 pension and £0 other benefits as a non resident.

you can not qualify for the new pension by delaying claiming. 

however if you do have more than 10 years your pension will have increased if you have not claimed it yet.

It is currently GBP 119.30 or roughly 20 large Changs difference.

The three large Changs/day can significantly boost the evening's happiness and get a good nght's sleep.:thumbsup: 

10 minutes ago, Alex2015 said:

If you do not stay more than 90 Days in the UK irrespective of how many N.I. Contributions you have paid you will be charged at one and a half times the cost of your treatment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/expat-health/11571256/British-expats-from-outside-Europe-must-pay-for-NHS-hospital-care.html

Please read the guidance link in post 9.

8 hours ago, steve187 said:

minimum required for new state pension is 10 years of contributions in own name, so a minimum is 10/35 of about £150 or nothing

Note that a lot of the older guys around here if they have been working in the UK private sector were contracted out of the full NI contributions. If they are blithely expecting to receive a full 155 Quid/week State pension on top of their private pension, then I suggest they rapidly go to the government website and get an online breakdown.

As usual the UK government was very deceptive about this, and the "simplified one State Pension for all" is a blatant lie to get a few votes. 

8 hours ago, Maestro said:

Check your State Pension: 

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

To check your State Pension online you have to prove your identity, I did it,

info required was Passport Details, UK Driving Licence details and Credit Card details.

You have several choices of companies, I used the Post Office.

the online forecast estimated slightly more than the one I applied for via the Pensions Centre in the UK by post.

i opted out and my forecast was slightly reduced, 35 years is the minimum number of Contributions, I will have made 48 so receive more than the £150.

i was going to defer for a year but they have changed the rules, before you could defer for a year and get a lump sum plus interest. Now if you defer the lump sum is added to the pot, estimates say it would take 10/15 years to recoup it.

1 hour ago, freebyrd said:

Yeah l guess could be possible maybe he was signed on the dole in UK which could be a reason, one of my UK father-laws got a basic pension he hadn't worked for most his life only short time as they " Down Pit " why l man. :lol:

13 minutes ago, Alex2015 said:

info required was Passport Details, UK Driving Licence details and Credit Card details.

the online forecast estimated slightly more than the one I applied for via the Pensions Centre in the UK by post.

i opted out and my forecast was slightly reduced, 35 years is the minimum number of Contributions, I will have made 48 so receive more than the £150.

i was going to defer for a year but they have changed the rules, before you could defer for a year and get a lump sum plus interest. Now if you defer the lump sum is added to the pot, estimates say it would take 10/15 years to recoup it.

The maximum pension paid is GBP 155.

If you defer by one year and take the increased pension you will receive both the 5.8% increase plus the minimum inflation increase of 2.5%, totalling 8.3% more pension. To do this you forego one year's pension.

Breakeven is 100/9.3 about 12 years.

1 hour ago, Alex2015 said:

AFIK once you have 35 years you receive the full pension. Any years after that make no difference to the amount you will get.

This for the basic state pension. You may have other pension rights but the basic state pension is for 35 qualifying years and over (no increase for your extra 13 years)

2 hours ago, Alex2015 said:

Correct, " However"  if you can show to the authorities that you have returned to the UK permanently, you will be eligible for Health care and other benefits from day one.

Ways to show your intentions are to remain in the UK would possible include,documentation to show you have sold your house abroad,or a termination agreement for rented accommdation in that country. If you are not already registered with a NHS doctor or dentist,then quickly do so. Again if you own a house or can show documentation proving you have signed a legal agreement to rent in the UK this would also help. If you have school age children,and you can get them enrolled immediately this would most likely be the clincher. In addition if you are bringing into the UK a none British partner who has been granted a settlement visa, this again would more than likely ensure YOU  would receive all benefits available to you,but not of course to your non British partner.

50 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

AFIK once you have 35 years you receive the full pension. Any years after that make no difference to the amount you will get.

This for the basic state pension. You may have other pension rights but the basic state pension is for 35 qualifying years and over (no increase for your extra 13 years)

Yes that is correct,up to a few yrs ago,it was 42or 44yrs then Gordon Brown started messing about with the figures,first lowering the yrs to 30 and then changing the number to 35. 

Archived