Immigration chief promises tough action against illegal workers doing Thai jobs

rooster59

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our central Isaan province is flooded with Western (read "farang") foreigners doing jobs reserved for Thais--

• running restaurants
  • running food stalls
  • running bars
  • running food canteen trucks
  • insurance agents
  • car rental agents
  • doing nails for women in shopping malls
  • book salesmen
  • etc.

Nobody bats and eye, and nobody really seems to care.  Thais frequent their businesses and benefit.
Edited by Fookhaht

A post containing a reference to HM the King has been removed:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

Edit:  A nonsense post of a trolling nature has been removed. 

Edited by metisdead

Day they close down the russian pimps & russian whores in walking street is day of real immigration change, all cheap talk and same same corruption .

Main reason so much Burmese Lao & Vietnamese in labour industries is fact thais are <deleted> lazy & thai companies rather pay bribes & run on cheaper staff as they stingy cheap charlies behind the flash car & jewellery  .

To my knowledge this is a commen practice in the whole world, you are not allowed to work in a country without permit, same with immigration. If your country don't have a visa vaiwer agreement you need a visa. With both you get a time frame of how long you can stay in the country. Yes all of the world have undocumented workers this doesn't mean it's something wrong that Thailand are trying to crack down on these guys. When it comes to russian sex workers on walking street a lot of east European and Middle Eastern like white girls so understandable  the immigration look the other way, same with all the Cambodian working in the gay scene they are more openminded to sexual acts from foreigner. Likewise Burmese that work at dongtan beach they all speak ok English in contrast to the Thai guys, you have police inspecting the beach every day so they must know who's working there. Some side money still go long way here.

22 minutes ago, Missing Troll said:

In jomtien you have this western male that drive his wife around with a motorbike and sell food every evening. They have done that for years.

Maybe the Westerner has Thai nationality. Would he still be considered a foreigner then? 

2 hours ago, micmichd said:

Maybe the Westerner has Thai nationality. Would he still be considered a foreigner then? 

Based on the difficulty of obtaining Thai nationality, I would give this conjecture a 1 in 1 million probability.  

The continuing pretense that this is a REAL problem. More xenophobic nonsense designed to appeal to the most basic of Thai peasants who actually believe that we are taking their jobs. Trump would LOVE this. Same modus operandi, same mindset, same worldview.

On 9/10/2016 at 9:14 PM, seajae said:
  1. Bricklaying, carpentry, or other construction work. They only want unqualified construction workers that have no idea what they are doing  otherwise the building, bridges etc will never collapse and thais will not get jobs  repairing them. They do no apprenticeships, no technical training have no licenses, only hire illiterate Burmese mums, dads and their kids to do the work and wonder why the work they do is so pathetic, not square/level, fittings dont work, water pipes leak, electrical wiring shorts out, doors/windows dont open, taps dont align with the basin, toilet pans are placed wrongly, paint is all over the fittings, floors, windows but they refuse to allow people that are trained to actually do it properly. This is one of the problems here, they refuse to let trained/licensed trades people that are far better than the locals do the work so they can keep unemployment low, then again thais would refuse to pay for it to be dome properly anyway.......

Unemloyment is low but it also keeps costs low too...at the price of poor quality work. 

But then you have to wonder who is building and fitting those 100M baht houses up the road from me. 

Crackdowns. All cyclical in nature. There approach to enforcement is a flavor of the month approach. They need to keep changing it up. Because if they didn't people would get bored or realise that pretty much anything they tackle they are useless at it. Most things return to normal.

29 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Unemloyment is low but it also keeps costs low too...at the price of poor quality work. 

But then you have to wonder who is building and fitting those 100M baht houses up the road from me. 

There are high-skilled Thais, and there are low-skilled Thais. All you need is pay them some incentives, then you get high quality. 

5 minutes ago, micmichd said:

There are high-skilled Thais, and there are low-skilled Thais. All you need is pay them some incentives, then you get high quality. 

You mean if you pay enough to a low skilled Thai, of which there are plenty, he becomes high skilled?

On 9/10/2016 at 2:56 PM, greenchair said:

Can't imagine a Thai husband or wife denied a job in my country. Let alone paid less money because they are thai.

download.png

Well if you are English your Thai wife cannot even get in unless you can prove you are earning a decent salary.  Most countries make it much harder for foreigners to live or work than Thailand does.

1 hour ago, futsukayoi said:

Well if you are English your Thai wife cannot even get in unless you can prove you are earning a decent salary.  Most countries make it much harder for foreigners to live or work than Thailand does.

Completely different animal.

You need to proof that you can take care of her to avoid she will rely on the social security system, but once she is in the UK she can legally take any job that Brits also can do.

On 9/10/2016 at 8:33 PM, returnofthailand said:

2 farangs I know got good paid job and I got offers to work in Thailand since the crackdown.
I hope they continue to clean the country so employers will sponsor us for a work permit

The way that post reads to me is that you know 2 farangs working in Thailand without work permits and you have been offered a job under similar circumstances. If thats the case, you are contributing to the problem already.

There is nothing to stop a Thai employer getting a WP for an employee as long as they meet the manpower ratio and the financial conditions required. Clampdowns on illegal work are not going to change that factor.

And he warned officials under his command to be on the lookout for illegals with fake marriage certificates and fake Thai ID running illegal businesses.

But truth is they have all been thoroughly checked for both translated & original versions of their marriage certs & Amphur registrations 

when they applied for their yearly extension to stay...I know we were for years checked each & every year during ext based on marriage was applied for.

So more likely this is to be used as the excuse when doing the pop in visits that have been happening more often now to foreigners staying on

marriage based extensions.

The whole thing is getting odd really

3 hours ago, futsukayoi said:

That's probably a reason why many Brits would use the EU laws to do that rather than the local laws...thanks Cod (& the chips too) for Brexit :cheesy:.

Yes in some other country might be much harder, but let's not forget that once you are "accepted", they will not treat you and let you feel as just an annoyance till your very last day, how's that???

On September 10, 2016 at 5:40 PM, Wilsonandson said:

Where does it say that in the op? How do you know that? Are you a spokeman for the Thai immigration police?

Na mate, I just keep up with recent events. Clearly the Thai government is focussing heavily on PRC Chinese owned businesses at the moment. The small fries will mostly be left alone. This is a big political game being played by Thais at the moment because they want a bigger piece of the Chinese tourism pie.

4 hours ago, futsukayoi said:

You need an income of £18,600 to bring a foreign wife to settle in the uk. But I understand now you need a letter from your embassy proving you earn enough to do that before you can get a thai marriage visa! Which still takes a month to process. I was offered the opportunity of getting my visa  there and then, if I was willing to renew my visa to retired non marriage visa.

I told them I was happy to wait the month.  

Edited by CharlieK

On 10/09/2016 at 8:05 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't think he's talking about low-paying nobody jobs.

I think he's talking more about westerners with better paying jobs.

But that's just my guess...

Waiters and street hawkers, well-paid jobs illegally engaged in by westerners? From the OP:

"He cited in particular those taking Thai jobs in the restaurant business and selling wares on the move"

The way that post reads to me is that you know 2 farangs working in Thailand without work permits and you have been offered a job under similar circumstances. If thats the case, you are contributing to the problem already.

There is nothing to stop a Thai employer getting a WP for an employee as long as they meet the manpower ratio and the financial conditions required. Clampdowns on illegal work are not going to change that factor.

You need an income of £18,600 to bring a foreign wife to settle in the uk. But I understand now you need a letter from your embassy proving you earn enough to do that before you can get a thai marriage visa! Which still takes a month to process. I was offered the opportunity of getting my visa  there and then, if I was willing to renew my visa to retired non marriage visa.

I told them I was happy to wait the month.  

Na mate, I just keep up with recent events. Clearly the Thai government is focussing heavily on PRC Chinese owned businesses at the moment. The small fries will mostly be left alone. This is a big political game being played by Thais at the moment because they want a bigger piece of the Chinese tourism pie.

not at all. they all work with a work permit now. and recently I said to a guy I won't do interview if they don't sponsor for a work permit, this is non-negotiable.

they replied a few weeks later that now they are willing to make work permit.

few years ago they came to me like "we employ as a test and if we like you we do work permit for you" yeah sure! I told them I need a work permit or no deal.

if you are caught working without a work permit, you will be ban for up to 10 years or maybe forever if you are involved in a accident with result of injured or dead people.

do I want to take the risk and be in jail because I have broken the law? no way.

so f... employers who ask you to work illegally, again f... them all...!

54 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Waiters and street hawkers, well-paid jobs illegally engaged in by westerners? From the OP:

"He cited in particular those taking Thai jobs in the restaurant business and selling wares on the move"

The wife and I stopped in an ostensibly Thai noodle restaurant in one of the malls in Central BKK the other day for a bite, and she got to talking with the serving staff. Entire staff spoke Thai and looked Thai, but all were Cambodians. I seriously doubt they and the others like them are going anywhere.

Likewise, lived in BKK for a lot of years, and see the non-Thai street vendors every day. Saw them when I first came here. Seen them every year since. See them when I'm walking around outside today. I seriously doubt they and the others like them are going anywhere.