Who controls the beach seating?

Hal65

When I first came to Pattaya a couple years ago I sat on one of those beach seats that are out during the day time. A Thai person started making loud noises in my direction, I didn't know whether she was shooing me away, calling me to buy something to sit down, or just being annoying. It put me off sitting on the beach chairs ever since.

Who controls them? Are they public seating, or controlled by individual vendors?

Maybe they yelled at you saying "He here, I am paying the government for using this stretch of beach and we charge 50 bath for a seat. You can use the chair the whole day. Of course it woul be nice if you bought a drink or two, because 50 baht won't cover my cost. I do not have a lot of money and I have to pay school fees for my children, I have to send money to my parents every month, it's kind of  hard job dealing with tourists from every country in the world and... "

Oh well, you get the picture.

They are for use by the public. In Jomtien the charge is 30 baht for a chair and 100 baht for a larger white bed. My section provides an umbrella, free wifi, pillow and a towel, and a menu for ordering food and drinks. The section boundaries are established by City Hall and now strictly enforced by the police and military. 

We live in Jomtien - Near Soi 8.

The standard wood folding chairs everyone offers were apparently designed by the same people who invented dental pliers. 

Where are the vendors who offer white beds? 

I'd gladly pay the extra Bht. 

11 minutes ago, kbb said:

We live in Jomtien - Near Soi 8.

The standard wood folding chairs everyone offers were apparently designed by the same people who invented dental pliers. 

Where are the vendors who offer white beds? 

I'd gladly pay the extra Bht. 

I think that most vendors offer a limited number of sun-loungers. They're usually the closest 'seat's' to the beach. 

36 minutes ago, does said:

Maybe they yelled at you saying "He here, I am paying the government for using this stretch of beach and we charge 50 bath for a seat. You can use the chair the whole day. Of course it woul be nice if you bought a drink or two, because 50 baht won't cover my cost. I do not have a lot of money and I have to pay school fees for my children, I have to send money to my parents every month, it's kind of  hard job dealing with tourists from every country in the world and... "

And maybe they should get a real job instead of expecting to earn a living from just providing chairs? Of course that would require some effort and so is probably not a desirable option.

52 minutes ago, does said:

Oh well, you get the picture.

It boggles the mind how anybody could think they are free...we pay all over most of the world for beach chairs......7 Euro a day a couple of weeks ago in Lanzarote.

PS. still don't understand why the owner didn't just simply go over to the OP and collect the money?.......(unless of course they owned the next set of chairs and wanted him to use theirs).

s.

1 hour ago, ThaiBob said:

They are for use by the public. In Jomtien the charge is 30 baht for a chair and 100 baht for a larger white bed. My section provides an umbrella, free wifi, pillow and a towel, and a menu for ordering food and drinks. The section boundaries are established by City Hall and now strictly enforced by the police and military. 

I wonder if any other country in the world uses the military to organise beach chairs. It's funny, the things people regard as normal when they are in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Keesters said:

You pay for a drink, you pay for a meal and then you have to pay for a chair to sit in and consume it. What kind of restaurant is that?

If you go to the beach your going to sit there so you pay for the chair. If you go to a restaurant you go for a meal so you pay for your meal.

2 hours ago, Keesters said:

You pay for a drink, you pay for a meal and then you have to pay for a chair to sit in and consume it. What kind of restaurant is that?

It's not a restaurant.  It is a service offered by the beach chair vendor.  Happens all the time, even in the fanciest hotels, spas, and resorts around the world.  It saves you as  the beach chair user the inconvenience of having to pack up your stuff and go walk to a restaurant.

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

And maybe they should get a real job instead of expecting to earn a living from just providing chairs? Of course that would require some effort and so is probably not a desirable option.

Are you trolling?

If they don't provide the chairs who do you think will? Do you think they get them for free?

Do you think the government should provide free chairs?

Same could be said of politicians. They should get a real job instead of sitting around behaving like juveniles at taxpayer expense.

10 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

I think that most vendors offer a limited number of sun-loungers. They're usually the closest 'seat's' to the beach. 

On Jomtien beach side most vendors have the folding chairs.

on Dongtan beach side they have folding chairs ฿40 in the back and white sun beds ฿100 in the front, free wifi is provided but no towels or pillows.

12 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Have an issue with people who hold jobs you might find demeaning, eh? Or are you just another expat racist Thai hater?  But its OK, I have issues with people whose idea of work is simply to collect rents.  People forget that Adam Smith, when he talked about free markets, was talking about economies free from the burden of rent seekers. These Thais renting out chairs are just seeking income no differently than yourself, and probably having to expend far more effort than yourself.

3 hours ago, Hal65 said:

What time does the wifi in Jomtien beach close for the day? I try to avoid the sun.

Wifi  seems to close at around 6pm.  If you want to avoid the sun, your best bet to catch wifi is between 5.30  and 6pm, sun is almost down, but wifi is still open.  But then the issue of those 40 baht chairs arises again, you mentioned you wish to avoid them, but wifi is provided by the chair people.   Ughh!

It seems you need to figure out how to avoid paying for the beach chair, yet get to enjoy the free wifi. Maybe lay down on the sand next to chair area,  hopefully wifi coverage is strong enough and you can successfully hook up. But then there's the issue of sun again (maybe bring your own umbrella?)  Then there's the wifi password, only the chair people have the password.. I'm out of ideas now. 

10 hours ago, whitemouse said:

Wifi  seems to close at around 6pm.  If you want to avoid the sun, your best bet to catch wifi is between 5.30  and 6pm, sun is almost down, but wifi is still open.  But then the issue of those 40 baht chairs arises again, you mentioned you wish to avoid them, but wifi is provided by the chair people.   Ughh!

It seems you need to figure out how to avoid paying for the beach chair, yet get to enjoy the free wifi. Maybe lay down on the sand next to chair area,  hopefully wifi coverage is strong enough and you can successfully hook up. But then there's the issue of sun again (maybe bring your own umbrella?)  Then there's the wifi password, only the chair people have the password.. I'm out of ideas now. 

It was other people bringing up the payment concern, not me.

7 hours ago, elgenon said:

In Cali no beach chairs provided. Also not shooed off the beach for not paying the vendor.

same good treatment, as on that beach set up on the western side of Koh SiChang (Hat Tham Kao Phang)

On 13/09/2016 at 3:00 AM, dotpoom said:

It boggles the mind how anybody could think they are free...we pay all over most of the world for beach chairs......7 Euro a day a couple of weeks ago in Lanzarote.

PS. still don't understand why the owner didn't just simply go over to the OP and collect the money?.......(unless of course they owned the next set of chairs and wanted him to use theirs).

s.

Yep we were paying 6 euro each for 2 loungers in Skiathos last year

11 hours ago, Hal65 said:

It was other people bringing up the payment concern, not me.

If you don't mind paying 40 baht for a  beach chair, wifi included, then what is your question? 

This is how it works - you sit down and usually in less than a  minute a chair person appears to get your drink order. If you don't want the drink just say No Thank You, in English, WiFi Please,  and the chair person gives you  wifi password.  At the end of your day you pay 40 baht. 

Why do I have this inside information, you may wonder. I used to go out  with a guy who works at Jomtien beach. Each section has staff, they wake up at 6am every morning to go to work and set up chairs and umbrellas, 7 days a week, the only holiday is 7 days around Songkran. Salary from boss is around 4000 baht, depending on seniority, newby is paid 3000. Boss buys 2 meals a day, some of the staff lives on  boss's property free of charge. Tips on high season is 300 baht a day, high season is 2 weeks before and after Christmas. Low season, pretty much the rest of the year is  zero tips and none of the guys have money for cigarettes.