Data leaks at AIS - company admits personal details were shared with third party

webfact

Data leaks at AIS - company admits personal details were shared with third party

a2.jpg

Image: Manager Online

BANGKOK: -- AIS have admitted that one of their staff has been snooping on customers and sharing their personal details.

The admission comes as complainants online wonder if the data breach is larger than the company will admit to reported Manager Online.

Wilai Khiangpradu of the telecoms giant said that the staff member had been sacked and that the company are pressing charges against the person. 

The matter is in the hands of the police who are investigating with a view to criminal charges that could see the staff member jailed for up to five years.

She said that an internal inquiry was carried out and the staff member had indeed shared a customers personal details with another person. At this stage she did not know what the intention of the staff member was in stealing the details.

Meanwhile on social media speculation was rife. On the Panthip page there was a post that screamed: "Trust in AIS is over. After this theft of personal data I wonder if it has happened to me". 

Claims were made that the company were monitoring calls and sharing details with third parties unbeknownst to customers.

AIS announced  that they had acted swiftly in cautioning all staff about sharing details they are privy to.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-14

It is unfathomable that it take only one person, lowly person at that, to unravel

the best security measures system put in place to protect customers of any

large business,

What can you do about it and how to prevent it from happening again? Nothing and

Nothing.....

I've a feeling this will be downplayed as much as possible especially if the recipient of the info proves to be ' interesting ' and the issue is more than just an employee making money.

For those who use AIS services, SIM cards etc changing to another company won't help as details are still on the company computers and we will have to ' trust ' any assurances that security has been tightened .

However no one can legislate for rogue staff with access to the relevant files or indeed companies co-operating with the authorities without bothering about legal niceties such as search warrants which would probably be issued as a matter of course anyway.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

The information has been getting shared for years. The number of times I have been called by companies that I have never contacted you wouldn't believe. The only way they would have obtained my number was if someone gave it them and I certainly did not give it.

Hmmm, days after True were exposed in the press for issuing a replacement sim to someone without checking thus enabling them to empty the owners bank account. In a country with rampant corruption it would be foolish to believe any personal data here is secure.

37 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

The information has been getting shared for years. The number of times I have been called by companies that I have never contacted you wouldn't believe. The only way they would have obtained my number was if someone gave it them and I certainly did not give it.

Exactly, the block calls / sms list on my phone increases almost daily.

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

It is unfathomable that it take only one person, lowly person at that, to unravel

large business

The article does not state how the data was stolen. It could have been with a simple theft of an Adminstrator's password. The "snooping on customers" suggests that the staff member may even had permission to access data that allowed real time perusal of customer information. So it's not certain as yet whether any security system was breached per se.

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

large business,

What can you do about it and how to prevent it from happening again? Nothing and

Nothing.....

I assume you are skilled in security systems. Or do you write from ignorance? I am sure that many staff have access to private information. I once worked for BT in the UK and could access the address and phone number of anyone, film and pop stars included, yet I was only a lowly clerk. Did the staff member serve someone and therefore have their account details which he or she shared, maybe for fun. Who was the info shared to? The story just says 'another person'. Maybe the 'victim' was a celebrity and the staff member was showing off to a friend. How was the 'theft' discovered? We aren't told.

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

And AIS make no mention of any technology action to lock such data etc., to control internal access and stop theft. 

Because that sort of thing worked very well with Edward Snowden.

Edited by blackcab

Really? Naa it can't be true, do you mean that all those years and years of receiving "offers" from every street carts and their dogs was something the poor AIS never knew about???

Trust me, they do much worse than this, they are nothing short of a telecom's cartel, how dAISgraceful!

10 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I assume you are skilled in security systems. Or do you write from ignorance? I am sure that many staff have access to private information. I once worked for BT in the UK and could access the address and phone number of anyone, film and pop stars included, yet I was only a lowly clerk. Did the staff member serve someone and therefore have their account details which he or she shared, maybe for fun. Who was the info shared to? The story just says 'another person'. Maybe the 'victim' was a celebrity and the staff member was showing off to a friend. How was the 'theft' discovered? We aren't told.

You asked about security, Evidently BT has no idea what it is either