American backpacker who was assaulted by her ‘guide’ to leave Thailand tomorrow

snoop1130

American backpacker who was assaulted by her ‘guide’ to leave Thailand tomorrow

By Coconuts Bangkok

1473916855_1-org.jpg

Gavois is still recovering in Bangkok Hospital Phuket, but will fly out of the country tomorrow. Photo: Hospital handout/ The Phuket News

The American backpacker who was the victim of a sex attack by a man posing as a tour guide in Krabi is preparing to leave Thailand despite that fact that her case has yet to conclude in court, according to police.

Phuket Tourist Police Capt. Ekkachai Siri said yesterday that Hannah Gavios, a 23-year-old from New York, is still recovering from surgery to her spine at Bangkok Hospital Phuket but will be leaving the country on Friday.

Capt. Ekkachai said, “Ms. Gavios will leave the country on Friday. I have been told by the hospital. She is now a lot better than she was last week, but her main problem is the pain she is suffering to her lower back following the surgery.”

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/09/15/american-backpacker-who-was-assaulted-her-guide-leave-thailand-tomorrow

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-09-15

Krabi police were hoping that Gavios would give testimony to Phuket Provincial Court this week to help move the case to trial quickly despite doctors saying she would need at least 10 more days to recover in hospital.

She's probably had enough and wants to get back to family and friends.
Let's hope the man who attacked and molested her gets locked up and a heavy sentence.
Another backpacker horror story from Los.

5 minutes ago, burgdawg said:

....uh, does anyone know how much her hospital bill tallied? And who gets to pay for such a tab?

Many of us are happy to hear her recovery is continuing and she is improving.

Who gives a rats ass about how her medical costs are paid?

2 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

I think that's a valid question given how things play out around here with these kinds of situations...anyway, I am also wondering if she is walking at all

Are you asking if she has insurance? Or if Thailand is somehow paying for this?  Or you just want to know if she paid this directly ?

**Somewhere in these threads was a post that stated her bills were about 755,000 baht if I remember correctly but I don't know where that came from.

Edited by amykat

1 minute ago, Lingba said:

I think that's a valid question given how things play out around here with these kinds of situations...anyway, I am also wondering if she is walking at all

Her father was quoted as saying he wanted to reassure everyone who is more concerned about his daughters hospital bill than about her recovery that the bill is being paid for by the ex-pat health insurance she purchased before leaving the US to teach. 

He thanked everyone for their concern about the health of the medical bill and appreciated their sense of priority.

1 hour ago, amykat said:

Are you asking if she has insurance? Or if Thailand is somehow paying for this?  Or you just want to know if she paid this directly ?

**Somewhere in these threads was a post that stated her bills were about 755,000 baht if I remember correctly but I don't know where that came from.

Arm Worawit from Matichon Online tweeted that her hospital bill had reached 745,443 Baht a week ago. Probably much more than that now.

Good to hear she had insurance and that she can focus on her recovery.

Hope the BiB don't use her departure as an excuse to drop the case and the scum goes away for a long time.

Edited by jamesbrock
Freudian slip

4 minutes ago, jamesbrock said:

Arm Worawit from Matichon Online tweeted that her hospital bill had reached 745,443 Baht a week ago. Probably much more than that now.

Hope the BiB don't use her departure as an excuse to drop the case and the scum goes away for a long time.

I hope so too.. but if she does not testify in the case there is more chance for the guy to get away. So it really is for a large part up to her.  (its unfortunate that it works that way)

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

I hope so too.. but if she does not testify in the case there is more chance for the guy to get away. So it really is for a large part up to her.  (its unfortunate that it works that way)

Yes, hopefully the fact that she gave a statement to court officials at the hospital is enough.

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Capt. Ekkachai said, “Ms. Gavios will leave the country on Friday. I have been told by the hospital. She is now a lot better than she was last week, but her main problem is the pain she is suffering to her lower back following the surgery.”

No, her main problem is a scum bag piece of filth sexually assaulted her and very little is being done to put it on trial.

3 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

I do, i really hope it's not herself.....the Thai government should pay it in that case. I also hope it gets published who paid and how much so we can all learn from it.

Also i hope to read what sentence that moron got and if the girl will be paralised for the rest of her life or not. I wish her all the best and that raper a lifetime hell in prison. What a shame he is for his nation, the stinky cockroach.

7 hours ago, Thian said:

I do, i really hope it's not herself.....the Thai government should pay it in that case. I also hope it gets published who paid and how much so we can all learn from it.

Also i hope to read what sentence that moron got and if the girl will be paralised for the rest of her life or not. I wish her all the best and that raper a lifetime hell in prison. What a shame he is for his nation, the stinky cockroach.

A Thai man was just gunned down in the USA as he was leaving his restaurant.

Should the US pay for him? Because the US is not paying for his body to be repatriated to Thailand...his family is left with the bill. 

It is not the responsibility of a government to pay hospital bills or any other costs...not in Thailand and not in the US.

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

A Thai man was just gunned down in the USA as he was leaving his restaurant.

Should the US pay for him? Because the US is not paying for his body to be repatriated to Thailand...his family is left with the bill. 

It is not the responsibility of a government to pay hospital bills or any other costs...not in Thailand and not in the US.

Not quite true

https://victimsofcrime.org/help-for-crime-victims/get-help-bulletins-for-crime-victims/crime-victim-compensation

IMO, it's the best move she can do......

Having to stand up in a Thai court, where few would understand what she's saying.....and then probably knowing that whatever the outcome, the toe rag that assaulted her, would likely only be given a token sentence.

Get away from here as soon as possible......the guy could well have friends and relatives ready to protect him.

Here's a what IF question.

If there's a full trial and she's required to give evidence will the govt pay for her travel and accommodation etc until the court no longer needs her ?

A Police Capt. says the case hasn't been concluded in court yet so several scenarios could apply and one could see an acquittal because the victim doesn't appear. 

13 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

She's probably had enough and wants to get back to family and friends.
Let's hope the man who attacked and molested her gets locked up and a heavy sentence.
Another backpacker horror story from Los.

And perhaps better medical facilities.

My fear is that without the principal witness this guy will get off lightly.

This often happens as victims cannot aford to remain in Thailand waiting for the justice system, or return solely for it.

Edited by jacko45k

12 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

who said she had insurance? back packers almost always do not have anything remotely like insurance. hope she learns something about traveling alone in thailand.

Ahh Our Resident Troll team is out in Force and sticking it to the Victim. Go Team GO!  :thumbsup:

Now she has Insurance, Obama is not involved, this has nothing to do with repatriating bodies from unrelated news stories. Hey wait has anyone checked to make sure she had a work Visa!!? I don';t think we have whinged or cried crocodile tears about that yet..

Its Friday Lets Go!!!!!!!

Edited by LomSak27

14 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Her father was quoted as saying he wanted to reassure everyone who is more concerned about his daughters hospital bill than about her recovery that the bill is being paid for by the ex-pat health insurance she purchased before leaving the US to teach. 

He thanked everyone for their concern about the health of the medical bill and appreciated their sense of priority.

Can you not be concerned about her welfare AND wonder about about the bill.

Or must every post be prefaced with the trite 'Hope she makes a speedy recovery and everything will be ok, blah blah blah' comments - comments which should really go without needing to be said.

15 hours ago, Lingba said:

The doctors say she's not paralyzed but can not move on her own. She can probably stand or walk some steps with assistance. A lot of time after this kind of surgery they want you up and at least walk some steps.