car battery, any recommendation?

momtaz

Hi guys,

coming to change car battery, checked the shop next to my office,

he recommended me a brand called (3K) saying it's a Thai brand, MF = maintenance free, dry battery, said it's a powerful battery,

the price : 1800 THB  with exchange the old battery,

I would like to ask your suggestions guys, I am not sure if the water refill, or dry battery is better,

which brand is good quality and durable for use? the water or dried one? any recommended brand?

any shop around Bkk sell with reasonable prices?

Kindly share your experience and recommendations, need to decided it quickly,, by tomorrow,

Thank you so much in advance! 

Indeed a question that is discussed repeatedly in the motor forum.

Probably the last one:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/941919-which-battery/

Seems that the maintenance free are recommended.

Last time I bought a new battery for the old Vios.

Dealer suggested the maintenance free model from "GS" brand.

Paid 2000 in exchange.

In five years I can tell you whether it was a good deal :)

Edited by KhunBENQ

Maintenance free battery. Sealed battery that you dong have to do anything to. If the charging system in your car is ok, then get any sealed battery that has the correct cranking amperage advised by your vehicles manufacturer. Your owners manual will provide a wealth of information and if you don't have it, then look it up online. Don't need to overthink it. Its just a battery and the tech is stone age. 

They will take your old battery for a discount so they can recycle it.  

Good morning guys,,,

Thanks KhunBENQ, as well strange,

called the dealer where I bought the car from, TOYOTA Altis, 1.8,

he advise the water refill one, is better for a longer age use,  I am not sure yet, but  (MF) one seems to be less headache, and would be better,

As mentioned, my best option is a high quality for durable uses, these are the needed to consider,

However, appreciate your feedback n comments, many thanks again!

6 hours ago, momtaz said:

Good morning guys,,,

Thanks KhunBENQ, as well strange,

called the dealer where I bought the car from, TOYOTA Altis, 1.8,

he advise the water refill one, is better for a longer age use,  I am not sure yet, but  (MF) one seems to be less headache, and would be better,

As mentioned, my best option is a high quality for durable uses, these are the needed to consider,

However, appreciate your feedback n comments, many thanks again!

DELETED

3 minutes ago, Gibbs2 said:

Well mine last 6 plus years, as I know how to look after them and not fit and forget and hope for the best. 

Well tell us how you get 6 years in LOS with 'all' your rides...If it is a secret then we will understand..

Please tell all...BUT, please do not tell us to top the water up, most do that anyhoooo, think you have a rascal secret...Could be worth zillions.....:lol:

51 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Mine all last 9 years minimum

9 years? 

That is remarkable. 

The biggest enemy of a lead acid battery is heat so to have a battery last 9 years in Thailand is great !

Do you perfoem any maintenance on the battery? Clean the outer top casing with a baking soda wash? Remove terminals and wire brush the insides and the posts to get rid of oxidation? Check all the cable attachments for a solid connection at starter and ground? 

2 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

9 years? 

That is remarkable. 

The biggest enemy of a lead acid battery is heat so to have a battery last 9 years in Thailand is great !

Do you perfoem any maintenance on the battery? Clean the outer top casing with a baking soda wash? Remove terminals and wire brush the insides and the posts to get rid of oxidation? Check all the cable attachments for a solid connection at starter and ground? 

No, no maintenance at all, I just push-start it the last six years.

17 minutes ago, mogandave said:

If a maintenance free battery is installed correctly is errrrt...ummm maintenance free, or "...fit and forget.." as it were.

Yeah I find when I connect them positive to negative and negative to positive they seem to have  avery short life.

If your buying cheap 7 plate batteries there is no way they will last more than a few years in the heat here.   Maintenance free are not really maintenance free.  You should still be wise enough to crack open those covers and add distilled water if needed.  In most cases the cover can come of with the help of 2 flat screwdrivers.