Re hydration Salt/ Electrolyte Drinks

MrNeilThai

Hello,

As it is very hot here I try to drink these types of drinks on a daily basis. Just wondering if people know of better types than what I am currently able to find.

The most convenient is called Royal D. It is sold in 7-11. There is a pharmacy nearby me that sells something called Festa. The pharmacist  says it is better that Royal D. Personally, I don't think too highly of either.

Any suggestions on this topic??

Thanks

This one is the best by far, one sachet per 750 ml of water so if you use 2 sachets you can get a full 1.5 Liter bottle of a drink which actually tastes something like orange.

It's called Sea ORS, they don't often keep them in stock so I occasionally order them by the full box. As it happens I picked a full box up last week and haven't even got around to opening it yet.

Here's some photos to print and show the pharmacist - they will be familiar with this brand :

sea-ors-01.jpg

sea-ors-02.jpg

Edited by ukrules

re

Any suggestions on this topic

yes ... i used to drink two of these a day but in march april this year

i upped it to four coz it was so hot

but i started to feel very wobly / guiddy

so i went to my doctor and she told me it was coz i was overdosing on salt !

i cut them back to two and im ok now but drink more just plain water

dave2

electrolite powder 12 april 09 2006_01010010.JPG

It is very easy to over-indulge on sports drinks or additional salt/electrolyte under the assumption you are sweating and so must need it. 

Stick with water 75% of your drinks. 

3-liters water and 1-liter sports drink.

Or as was mentioned above--coconut water is better yet.

Actually it depends on how much you are sweating.

For most people, 1 packet a day is plenty if that, but if you are really sweating buckets, could need more. If not sweating much then I'd suggest just water, juices and the like, and the rehydration packet in  days when you have been sweating noticeably.

Coconut water is excellent alternative as some mentioned.

In terms of brands of the rehydration salts they should all be pretty much the same except for flavor.

Can save money buy buying in bulk at Macro.

14 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

It is very easy to over-indulge on sports drinks or additional salt/electrolyte under the assumption you are sweating and so must need it. 

Stick with water 75% of your drinks. 

3-liters water and 1-liter sports drink.

Or as was mentioned above--coconut water is better yet.

I can tell you i definitely need it, i use 2 satchels during a workout. Without it i cramp up or lose performance. Even though I am in a room with a good aircon and 3 fans I sweat buckets (especially on the rowing machine). Once I am done I need to squeeze both my sweatband (got glasses and too lazy to put contacts in just for training) and my T shirt as they are really soaked. 

I have done without too in the past but cramps were sure to follow, not much fun when your trying to do a leg press and you can't get out of the machine because of cramps. :D. But I always sweat a lot so exercise will only make that worse.

A couple of years ago The BBC conducted a scientific test to establish the differences in taking water, electrolyte drinks or milk. Milk was the winner. This test was to do with exercise and the replacing of electrolytes so whether the test would be valid for a general replacement due to climate I am not sure.

I think I still have the BBC programme on my computer; I will look it up if you are interested.

1 hour ago, catman20 said:

isn't that high in cholesterol  ? 

0 mg

Cholesterol

Type

Coconut water    

As you can see and you can Google it yourself Coconut Water has 0 grams of Cholesterol in 100 gram bottle . It is a clear liquid not the same as coconut milk  which looks like milk and is high in calories

2 hours ago, catman20 said:

isn't that high in cholesterol  ? 

There is a big difference between coconut water(juice)and coconut milk.Coconut water is the juice that comes from a fresh coconut,

you open it and drink the clear liquid.

Coconut milk is white and is used for cooking.

Playing football 2 times per week, 2 hrs each time in 30 Degree+ heat.... Electrolytes are most definitely needed.

At the end of the Game I can sit and see the pool of water (sweat) build up below my seat. 

I prefer to use Dechamps (orange) which mixes nicely with Cold bottled Water, I'll use 3 or 4 per game. 

I can hydrate with just water, but I've found that if I don't use the electrolyte packets the following day is particularly tough with muscle aches.

I've also found that 1 of these packets works well if I'm feeling hungover after a night out.

1 hour ago, ChrisKC said:

A couple of years ago The BBC conducted a scientific test to establish the differences in taking water, electrolyte drinks or milk. Milk was the winner. This test was to do with exercise and the replacing of electrolytes so whether the test would be valid for a general replacement due to climate I am not sure.

I think I still have the BBC programme on my computer; I will look it up if you are interested.

I think Milk is considered more rehydrating than water because water enters and passes through your body more quickly. Milk has a slower 'lag time', passes through you less quickly thus, volume for volume Milk hydrates more than water. 

That said - While exercising strongly and sweating profusely for a few hours - I'd probably throw up if I were to drink 3 litres of Milk !

28 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think Milk is considered more rehydrating than water because water enters and passes through your body more quickly. Milk has a slower 'lag time', passes through you less quickly thus, volume for volume Milk hydrates more than water. 

That said - While exercising strongly and sweating profusely for a few hours - I'd probably throw up if I were to drink 3 litres of Milk !

Of course, trying to drink three litres of anything would be difficult, throwing up or otherwise.

I Sweat more than anyone I have ever met, I drink four Gatorades and four bottles of water in 18 holes of golf. Then I still drink four or five more waters after, then I may have to use the rest room for a bright yellow piss. Doctors say its Ok but I know its not normal.

Anything you drink should be additional and never instead of your normal daily water intake.

Additional, after sports I usually drink a fresh coconut which is the best for hydration. 15/20 baht a piece at klong toey market bkk.

Just in case I always have royal-D at home which is good too. I buy this from makro in a big box for 3,5 bht a piece instead of 6 baht at 7/11

I used to avoid the re-hydration salts with sugar in them until I did some Googling and found out that the sugar (glucose) is require in order for my body to properly absorb the salt.

I'm not holding myself out as an expert, but suggesting you do some Googling before buying any sugar free ORS's.  I'm off the artificially sweetened ones now.